PDA

View Full Version : Billet or not

McLarenRoss
09-19-2011, 9:21 PM
Im having trouble making up my mind. Im building a new rifle currently and all Im missing is the stripped upper and the handguard. Handguard is gonna be a 15" Troy TRX, over a 16" HBar. Gun is intended as a 3-Gun/quick shooting toy with a 1-4x scope on it. Should I go with a standard forged upper or spend $30 more dollars for a Billet machined upper. If I go with the Billet though I dont think my upper receiver block will work for putting the barrel on. Ive never had a billet upper but I like the looks and added beefyness to them.

djleisure
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Im having trouble making up my mind. Im building a new rifle currently and all Im missing is the stripped upper and the handguard. Handguard is gonna be a 15" Troy TRX, over a 16" HBar. Gun is intended as a 3-Gun/quick shooting toy with a 1-4x scope on it. Should I go with a standard forged upper or spend $30 more dollars for a Billet machined upper. If I go with the Billet though I dont think my upper receiver block will work for putting the barrel on. Ive never had a billet upper but I like the looks and added beefyness to them.

IMO I think that decision is the least of your worries. If you really want to do 3-gun or any kind of quick shooting, then you're going to have to rethink your whole build. 15" rail is way too much and the HBar barrel is way too heavy - that thing is gonna be a slug, bench shooter at best. Then on top of that you want the billet upper for it's "added beefyness"[sic]? The whole point of 3-gun is to be light and maneuverable.

If you like the billet upper, then go for it, but I don't think you're building a very good rifle for 3-gun (but I'm sure a fine rifle on it's own accord.)

aermotor
09-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Build a carbine length gun from any maker and non hbar and you'll be set. Billet is def the last of your worries, and standard uppers are built great. It will be super light and very fast. I love the CMMG I built.

http://aermotorstudio.com/calguns/ar-camo1.jpg