PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9 vs. Kahr PM9

GunDog
09-19-2011, 6:38 PM
I've had my Kahr PM9 for about two years now but, must admit it has taken a back seat to my Ruger LCP. I have found the LCP to be much more user friendly and comfortable to carry on a daily basis. Problem is I feel the need for a pocket 9mm and am not happy with the Kahr PM9. The PM9 is a quality product and comfortable to carry. The issue I have with it is the trigger. There is a sharp edge at the top of the trigger where it pivots that I find irritating. Since I really like the ergonomics of the LCP, I figure the LC9 would be a perfect fit as far as a carry weapon in 9mm. My other carry pieces are a Glock 30SF and a Glock 21SF when I feel the need for a heavier hitting caliber.

Comments?

InGrAM
09-19-2011, 6:44 PM
Smooth out the sharp edge on the PM9 trigger?

Can't go wrong with the LC9 either, or a Kel-tec PF-9 if you are open to suggestions.

RollingCode3
09-19-2011, 6:46 PM
PM9>LC9

if you can't pocket carry your pm9, then good luck with the lc9. It is much bigger.

GunDog
09-19-2011, 6:50 PM
Smooth out the sharp edge on the PM9 trigger?

Can't go wrong with the LC9 either, or a Kel-tec PF-9 if you are open to suggestions.

I do like the LC9/LCP ergonomics. Will have to take a closer look at the Kel-Tec.

Thanks

GunDog
09-19-2011, 6:55 PM
PM9>LC9

if you can't pocket carry your pm9, then good luck with the lc9. It is much bigger.

No problem with carrying the PM9. In fact, I really like it other than the trigger. Just figured that the LC9 would be more comfortable and easier to carry since it shares the same general design/ergonomics as the LCP.

RollingCode3
09-19-2011, 7:00 PM
No problem with carrying the PM9. In fact, I really like it other than the trigger. Just figured that the LC9 would be more comfortable and easier to carry since it shares the same general design/ergonomics as the LCP.

It doesn't share the same design or ergonomics. It has way too many lawyer feature craps on it. I still pocket carry the LCP and sold the LC9. IMHO The grip is way too thin and the recoil is pretty sharp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1397.jpg

GunDog
09-19-2011, 7:04 PM
It doesn't share the same design or ergonomics. It has way too many lawyer feature craps on it. I still pocket carry the LCP and sold the LC9. IMHO The grip is way too thin and the recoil is pretty sharp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1397.jpg

Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the photo comparison.

1911su16b870
09-19-2011, 7:14 PM
Owning all 3, LCP, LC9 and PM9, the PM9 for me is the balance on defensive handgun cartridge with +P 9mm and size.

The trigger on the LC9 is not near as good as the LCP or PM9. I would rate the LCP trigger over the PM9 and LCP.

GunDog
09-19-2011, 7:28 PM
Owning all 3, LCP, LC9 and PM9, the PM9 for me is the balance on defensive handgun cartridge with +P 9mm and size.

The trigger on the LC9 is not near as good as the LCP or PM9. I would rate the LCP trigger over the PM9 and LCP.

Thanks for your input. This is exactly the type of info I need to ponder.

Lone_Gunman
09-19-2011, 8:10 PM
I just DROSed an LC9 today. For me the final deciding factor was price. I had the $400 to get the LC9 now, and it fills the hole in my CCW line up. I think I may have rather had the PM9 but I can't justify the $300 price difference simply for a slightly shorter grip and barrel and the lack of a external safety. I was looking for something that fits comfortably in my cargo pocket in my summertime shorts for when I don't want to carry my G26. I wasn't real keen on the frame mounted safety but after looking at numerous reviews online I saw that the safety is stiff enough that if left off it wont inadvertently be actuated in the draw. It is apparently fairly easy to remove all together if I decide I don't want it at all. That was the deciding factor for me, If I can remove the external safety and have a good, thin, reliable 9mm that will fit in my cargo pocket that's good enough for me.

mugiwara
09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
just melt the edges on the kahr. they are notoriously sharp, so file and emery cloth are your best friends.

cineski
09-20-2011, 7:18 AM
IME, the Kahr claim of 200 round break in is false. 500-700 about does it. Although they do shoot very well, I just didn't like the company, the short life span they say their weapons have, or the price/reliability.

CJJohn
09-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm not an LC9 fanboi by any means, in fact I would like to not like this gun, but I have over 1000 rds through mine with ZERO problems. The trigger has smoothed out, but is still a very long pull. It has eaten everything I have ran through it, from the Winchester white box, to S&B, to Corbon DPX, to Rmington Golden Sabres, with NO FTF,or FTE at all. I find the re-coil with +p to be very managable, while practice rounds are not bothersome at all. I don;t think of it as a pocket pistol as it's too heavy for that, but I made a holster for it and it conceals VERY easy.

brianm767
09-20-2011, 2:59 PM
LC9 is bigger and heavier!! I way prefer a Keltec PF9 over a LC9. but a PM9 over every thing.

I also agree about the LCP, my LCP and Kahr P380 were my favorites, most of the time in my pocket.

LC9. I don't want a safety, it's too big and heavy, to me it's pushing the limit before I'd just go ahead and carry a Glock26-27

I'm waiting for the Beretta Nano to see how it feels, but no slide lock? whats up with that?

stormvet
09-20-2011, 4:23 PM
PM9 trigger is long but very smooth and lite, LC9 trigger is long and very heavy one of the worst trigger's I have ever shot. Where the PM9 barely works as a pocket pistol the LC9 is too big and too heavy. The PM9 is very accurate for a little 9, the LC9 who knows the trigger is so bad how can you really tell how accurate it is.
Most PM9 need very little if any brake in, mine was good to go out of the box. Never had a problem with the trigger pinching or stabbing my finger. It has over a thousand rounds fired but I rarely shoot more then 50 to 100 rounds with it at time.
My partner bought the LC9 and sold it after a couple range visits, he had nothing good to say about it.

Dont get me wrong the PM9 is far from the perfect pocket gun, there are many things I dislike about them. Long trigger and reset, have to use the slide release to close the slide, mags do not drop free 100%. But untill a better 9mm (wont carry anything smaller so LCP and other 380 out of the question) comes along my back-up pocket carry will be a PM9 when semi-auto.

RollingCode3
09-20-2011, 4:39 PM
PM9 trigger is long but very smooth and lite, LC9 trigger is long and very heavy one of the worst trigger's I have ever shot. Where the PM9 barely works as a pocket pistol the LC9 is too big and too heavy. The PM9 is very accurate for a little 9, the LC9 who knows the trigger is so bad how can you really tell how accurate it is.
Most PM9 need very little if any brake in, mine was good to go out of the box. Never had a problem with the trigger pinching or stabbing my finger. It has over a thousand rounds fired but I rarely shoot more then 50 to 100 rounds with it at time.
My partner bought the LC9 and sold it after a couple range visits, he had nothing good to say about it.

Dont get me wrong the PM9 is far from the perfect pocket gun, there are many things I dislike about them. Long trigger and reset, have to use the slide release to close the slide, mags do not drop free 100%. But untill a better 9mm (wont carry anything smaller so LCP and other 380 out of the question) comes along my back-up pocket carry will be a PM9 when semi-auto.

+1 I can't stand the trigger on the LC9, especially with the double reset. The Kahr CM9 is the cheaper version of the PM9 and it is 200 bucks cheaper too.

tacgunner530
09-20-2011, 6:33 PM
+1 I can't stand the trigger on the LC9, especially with the double reset. The Kahr CM9 is the cheaper version of the PM9 and it is 200 bucks cheaper too.

thats the route i wanted to take, then i found out that the cm9 was not on the CA roster. so if i went with the single shot exemption, it would have been close to the same price in the end. so i went with the pm9. i think i made the right choice.

sactoshooter
09-23-2011, 5:56 AM
The Kahr CM9 is on the list now =).... It is my choice as I have large hands and with the grip extension seems to be a perfect fit. It is Narrow and light weight and you get used to the trigger.

RollingCode3
09-23-2011, 6:05 AM
The Kahr CM9 is on the list now =).... It is my choice as I have large hands and with the grip extension seems to be a perfect fit. It is Narrow and light weight and you get used to the trigger.

I dont know what you're talking about. The CM9 is not on the list. :confused: Kahr has no plan to make the CA version for it yet.

BlackDrop50
09-23-2011, 6:31 PM
I shot my friend's LC9 and I liked it. It seemed pretty accurate to me, I was able to put a whole mag into a quarter size hole even with the long trigger.

When I was checking it out before shooting it, I didn't really like it, but afterwards I think I might buy one. I was looking at a PM9 but it's almost half the price for the LC9.

sactoshooter
09-23-2011, 8:20 PM
Must have been sleep typing. I meant the CW9 .... doh ! In fact now I see I read this whole thing wrong and maybe i should stay off the computer before 8am :) but seriously I chose the CW9 as a carry because it is a little longer in the length and height then the PM9.

yzernie
09-24-2011, 5:36 AM
If you can afford it, the PM9 would me my choice. It does take 300+ rounds to get broken in but it is a very nice gun and easily concealable. The LC9 is also a nice gun also but IMO it just doesn't have the solid feel or the trigger pull of the PM9.