PDA

View Full Version : S&W 625JM

JohnF
09-19-2011, 4:58 PM
Purchased a S&W 625JM in .45 ACP today and starting to make plans to load for it. Anyone have real time experience with shooting this pistol and in using hard cast lead, copper plated, and copper jacketed bullets? Do you use SWC, FP, round nose or what? What about bullet seating depth? In short, what works best for you?

bwiese
09-19-2011, 5:06 PM
I have the straight ol' plain-Jane 625 no-suffix version (2005 vintage) with 4" barrel.

That gun, shooting store-bought 230gr FMJMagTech ammo, is simply AMAZING (tighter groups than WWB or UMC 230gr). I have yet to try Fed Gold Medal Match 45ACP in it.

sammy
09-19-2011, 5:12 PM
I have the 625-8 and have not had much luck on load devolopment. So far I have tried my favorite 200g. LSWC 68 H&G (which are slow to load), 230g. Zero and 230g. Magtech. The best I can group is 2"-2-1/2" at 15 yards. I think I need to get use to shooting revolvers. This is my only one and i have very few rounds through it.

If you find a good load please post it.

jdg30
09-19-2011, 5:13 PM
Purchased a S&W 625JM in .45 ACP today and starting to make plans to load for it. Anyone have real time experience with shooting this pistol and in using hard cast lead, copper plated, and copper jacketed bullets? Do you use SWC, FP, round nose or what? What about bullet seating depth? In short, what works best for you?

I have a regular 4" S&W 625 and it shoots great. It's very accurate and fun for target practice or just plinking. Shoot whatever you want out of the gun. Bullet type doesn't matter because it's a revolver and will shoot any .45 you put through it. That's the joy of a revolver.

biofire
09-19-2011, 5:19 PM
I bought this gun recently, loaded it with 230 g FMJ WWB, pulled the trigger, and it went "click". Tried a few things, but no luck. It is at S&W right now getting a check up. Good luck with yours.

sammy
09-19-2011, 5:32 PM
I bought this gun recently, loaded it with 230 g FMJ WWB, pulled the trigger, and it went "click". Tried a few things, but no luck. It is at S&W right now getting a check up. Good luck with yours.

I had the same problem. It came back in a week and goes bang every time now. The DA trigger is not as smooth as it was but I can live with it. I think the 1911 has spoiled me forever.

CRTguns
09-19-2011, 5:44 PM
Bear Creek makes a WONDERFUL 200 gr lead hollow base for the 45- Steve at Bear creek made that bullet for the 625. Seals gas better on account of the hollow base, means less fouling and better accuracy and velocity due to less blow-by in the forcing cone. A large majority of revo shooters in ICORE and USPSA use these pills. They have a molly coating that stops lead buildup in the barrel.

CLAYS is the only powder you will need. Don't even experiment with others. @ 4 gr behind this bullet. (+/- .5)

Closest place to you to get them will be JR sports in Livermore- Ask for Bagakis.

When loading for a revo... you'll need more crimp than usual to get pressure to "peak" in the chamber, ensuring you don't have unburnt flakes sticking to chamber walls, as this will impede reloading your revo.

and you HAVE TO USE FEDERAL primers. None other will reliably ingnite in a revo with a decent trigger. You can get rems and CCI to work, but you'll have a 15 lb trigger pull to do it.

kurac
09-19-2011, 5:52 PM
I have a 1955 target, a lot older than a 625 but the same principles apply.

LSWC's cut nice holes in paper but they hang up when you try to load them via full moon clips, for this reason, I have been loading mostly 200-230gr hollow base lead round nosed bullets from Bear Creek. They are not quite as accurate for me as the FMJ WWB or my own handloads but they do not lead and the price is right. For powder, I just use W231

shooting4life
09-19-2011, 6:29 PM
If you have ignition problems try first using moon clips. Some times the cylinders are reamed a little deep. If that does not work than use an extended firing pin. If you want an action job send it to mike carmoney.

scarville
09-19-2011, 6:37 PM
I bought a 625 JM a couple of years ago. Mostly I load 230 gr RN plated bullets over Unique or Power Pistol. I keep intending to try out some SWC but the darned thing is scary accurate with RN.

CRTguns
09-19-2011, 6:37 PM
Bear Creek makes a WONDERFUL 200 gr lead hollow base for the 45- Steve at Bear creek made that bullet for the 625. Seals gas better on account of the hollow base, means less fouling and better accuracy and velocity due to less blow-by in the forcing cone. A large majority of revo shooters in ICORE and USPSA use these pills. They have a molly coating that stops lead buildup in the barrel.

CLAYS is the only powder you will need. Don't even experiment with others. @ 4 gr behind this bullet. (+/- .5)

Closest place to you to get them will be JR sports in Livermore- Ask for Bagakis.

When loading for a revo... you'll need more crimp than usual to get pressure to "peak" in the chamber, ensuring you don't have unburnt flakes sticking to chamber walls, as this will impede reloading your revo.