PDA

View Full Version : Derringer in .38 vs Mini revolver in .22 lr (for SD back up)

Halfey
09-19-2011, 3:44 PM
I know i need to decide for myself, and i will. I also wanted to hear what you would choose and why.

I prefer the idea of 2 rds of .38 vs 5 of 22lr. + faster reloads. What do you think?

morrcarr67
09-19-2011, 4:53 PM
If those are my only choices I would take a NAA .22MAg or .22LR over a .38 Derringer. I had a .38 Derringer many years ago. I put 4 rounds through it and sold it.

Jake71
09-19-2011, 5:51 PM
I have a 38Special Cobra Derringer w/ a 4" barrel.. it's lets just say... loud and hard on the hand. It's like hitting a bullet with ahammer in the palm of your hand..

Now that I think of it, it would probably be just as accurate too... LOL

if you want a backup, get a KelTec .380 or something of that size/nature..

VegasND
09-19-2011, 8:44 PM
My mom had a .38 derringer years ago. I fired it quite a bit and my brother ended up with it when mom died.

I have a couple of NAA mini-revolvers. The .22 is useless past arms-length and a second shot feels clumsy.

The Black Widow in .22 mag is okay.

My preference:
1. .22 magnum Black Widow
2. .38 derringer
3. Rock, knife, run

4. NAA .22 lr.

Toast
09-19-2011, 8:48 PM
IMO, I'd rather have a Seecamp .32/.380 over a NAA or derringer. More capacity, and the ability to potentially hit what youre shooting at. Theyre still teeny tiny too.

scarville
09-20-2011, 8:20 AM
Neither is ideal but I guess you know that. If you have to fall back to a derringer or an NAA mini-revolver you are probably in pretty dire straits. Five rounds of 22 will hurt an opponent. Two rounds of 38 will hurt him more. Neither is likely to expand much so, if you pick a 38 derringer, consider a wadcutter bullet.

JeremyS
09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
I have an NAA Mini in .22 LR and there really aren't many situations in which I could carry that but couldn't carry a tiny .380 like an LCP or whatever. I would prefer that for SD. I got the NAA for fun and for snakes while going on hikes during camping trips. It fits just fine in the built-in dry bag in my boardshorts, or just about anywhere else. But, yeah, so would some of the tiniest .380's and if I were carrying a little BUG for 2-legged threats, it wouldn't be my NAA.

That said, there are many cases of NAA .22 LR mini revolvers being used successfully for self defense and leaving deceased bad guys (and, unfortunately, good guys in at least one case) behind.

watsonville
09-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I just made that decision on saturday I was looking at the 38 cobra derringer and a naa magnum then I thought to myself do I want a two shot gun made of pot metal tire weights or a stainless steel nasal sprayer 5 shot I went with the naa 22wmr and glad I did either one serves the purpose just boils to personal preference

plumbum
09-21-2011, 8:55 AM
They are both made in Utah, but the NAA is a gem compared to the boat anchor that is the Cobra derringer.

frankm
09-21-2011, 9:03 AM
the ability to potentially hit what youre shooting at. .

That's why they're called "belly guns". You stick it in someone's gut and fire.

OC-Indian
09-27-2011, 9:48 AM
Are the .410 shotshell derringers legal in Kalifornistan ?

dfletcher
09-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I have a 38Special Cobra Derringer w/ a 4" barrel.. it's lets just say... loud and hard on the hand. It's like hitting a bullet with ahammer in the palm of your hand..

Now that I think of it, it would probably be just as accurate too... LOL

if you want a backup, get a KelTec .380 or something of that size/nature..

I have a Bond derrnger with 45 ACP, 45 Colt and a 10mm barrel - 3" each I think. Recoil isn't bad, especially the ACP. It is heavy though. I have an NAA Guardian in 32 ACP and it's much smaller, lighter. Not sure which I'd pick - maybe get a 357 barrel for the Bond & use Remington 110 JHP - whatever I miss will be blinded anyway .... :p

saki302
09-28-2011, 3:40 AM
If you must choose a derringer, the old DA38 is probably the most practical- 2 double action shots, quick!

It takes way too long to try and re-cock the single action derringers after firing them once.

The little NAAs are accurate (if you know how to aim them! Line up the base of the front sight with the nothc on the frame), and fun to shoot. Reloading is a pain, but I'm able to fire mine quick because they don't move much in my hand.

The folding pocket clip grip makes them positively easy to shoot.

but in either case, a .32/280 auto is still preferable :)

With an SA derringer, it may as well be .44 mag. IF you make the hit, it WILL count :D

-Dave

scarville
09-28-2011, 5:54 AM
I just made that decision on saturday I was looking at the 38 cobra derringer and a naa magnum then I thought to myself do I want a two shot gun made of pot metal tire weights or a stainless steel nasal sprayer 5 shot I went with the naa 22wmr and glad I did either one serves the purpose just boils to personal preference
Good point. The quality of the gun is a consideration. I was thinking in terms of which of the two calibers I'd rather have if the bluebird of happiness were crapping on my day.

Quiet
09-28-2011, 6:58 AM
Are the .410 shotshell derringers legal in Kalifornistan ?
No.
CA laws [PC 12020(c)(1)(A)&(B)] classify any firearm with a less than 18" barrel length and/or less than 26" overall length that shoots a shotgun shell to be a SBS.