PDA

View Full Version : Why the Desert Eagle hate?

H20 Toie
09-19-2011, 2:22 PM
I have read a lot on how they are such POS guns but i wanted one just for the hell of it, not to use as protection. and they look cool

It took awhile but PRK got me a brand new one ( made in the USA) 50 in brushed chrome and so far it has been great.
I was amazed at how accurate it is.
Doesn't have that bad of recoil as i would have expected. less than shooting my Smith 629 44 mag
i've put couple hundred rounds though it with zero issues.

Is it impractical ? sure
Is it fun? oh yeah :)

Not sure what people expect from them but i think it is a great gun.

Merc1138
09-19-2011, 2:24 PM
Hate? I dunno about hate.

Not liking it at all because it seems to serve no practical use other than shooting a big gun at the range, yeah. Combine that with the cost of the gun, cost of the ammo, and you end up with something not a lot of people like or care about.

If you like it, who cares what other people think.

Curley Red
09-19-2011, 2:25 PM
People just want to hate. Same with glocks, people just want to hate. I have always wanted a desert eagle in 50 cal. myself.

meaty-btz
09-19-2011, 2:28 PM
Merc, just how is it impractical against the 2 legged target?

It is a large gun and an auto, which reduces the recoil of powerful 44 magnum. A 44DE is no more impractical a weapon than a 44 Magnum Revolver. Though, that we are required in this state and most others to hide our armament a DE is truly useless in that environment. No way anyone is hiding a firearm of that size.

Merc1138
09-19-2011, 2:37 PM
Even without having to hide the thing, would you really want to openly carry that in a holster? It's heavy, it's big, it's going to bang into crap(and I wouldn't want to try sitting in a car or even a chair with armrests with that thing in a holster on my belt). What is it that 44 magnum or .50 ae is going to do against the "2 legged target" that .45, .40, and 9mm wouldn't with decent shot placement? If you're lucky enough to own large capacity magazines for a firearm in .45, .40, 9mm, etc. you have more shots in a firearm that's smaller, weighs less, and would be more practical to carry.

"but what if I want to keep it in the car and not necessarily carry it but leave it in a lockbox?" ok, now you need to find a box big enough to keep the thing in, but isn't so big you can't put it where you want/need to place it. I'm sure there are probably more reasons why it doesn't make much sense for a "2 legged target".

Now if you were hunting and wanted a semi auto handgun as a sidearm in something like a .44 magnum, might make more sense. But those targets aren't really 2 legged unless you run the risk of being attacked by a gorilla or something and I haven't heard of those being in any North American forests.

meaty-btz
09-19-2011, 2:52 PM
Even without having to hide the thing, would you really want to openly carry that in a holster? It's heavy, it's big, it's going to bang into crap(and I wouldn't want to try sitting in a car or even a chair with armrests with that thing in a holster on my belt). What is it that 44 magnum or .50 ae is going to do against the "2 legged target" that .45, .40, and 9mm wouldn't with decent shot placement? If you're lucky enough to own large capacity magazines for a firearm in .45, .40, 9mm, etc. you have more shots in a firearm that's smaller, weighs less, and would be more practical to carry.

"but what if I want to keep it in the car and not necessarily carry it but leave it in a lockbox?" ok, now you need to find a box big enough to keep the thing in, but isn't so big you can't put it where you want/need to place it. I'm sure there are probably more reasons why it doesn't make much sense for a "2 legged target".

Now if you were hunting and wanted a semi auto handgun as a sidearm in something like a .44 magnum, might make more sense. But those targets aren't really 2 legged unless you run the risk of being attacked by a gorilla or something and I haven't heard of those being in any North American forests.

Well, there is always big foot, but I hear he is a protected species.

For me the biggest thing (lol) about a DE is its, slow to draw and bring on target but not really any slower than a 44 Mag Revolver. As for heavy, try a sword, same goes for sitting. Life becomes an art-form, and yes, you bang into EVERYTHING for a while and there-after.

Lumpia is sarap!
09-19-2011, 3:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/7b7371ff.jpg

InGrAM
09-19-2011, 3:08 PM
Some firearms are just for fun, I guess some people just don't understand that, which is why people hate certain things a lot of the time. People hate what they cant understand.

ZX-10R
09-19-2011, 3:10 PM
Behind every successful person is a bunch of haters. If you have one...Great. If you don't you find a reason to hate what someone else has.

jdberger
09-19-2011, 3:15 PM
Why the Desert Eagle hate?

One word...

DEAGLE

Oceanbob
09-19-2011, 3:16 PM
Good for you...!..

Owning guns and having FUN with them is what our Hobby is all about..!!:)

Desert Eagle, S&W .500 and the FN-5.7 are three FUN GUNS that come to mind.

I had a DE 44 chrome model years ago. Wow..what a fun shooter and extremely accurate. Sold it and bought something else...that's what we do.

Enjoy it...!

Be well, Bob

hybridatsun350
09-19-2011, 3:17 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6144/hatersd.jpg

To be serious, I don't know why. They're a very unique and interesting gun. Who also makes a gas piston operated handgun that shoots rounds meant for a revolver?

asgalindez
09-19-2011, 3:19 PM
I used to want that gun, before I got into firearms as a hobby. I wanted the component system package that had interchangable slides for .357, .44 and .50AE.

Now it's just too hollywood for me, and the gamers talking about how badass the Deagle is on COD/CS/anyothergamewithadeagle pretty much sealed the deal that I will never own one.

gti_20ae
09-19-2011, 3:21 PM
Buy one, you will learn to hate it. What I really hate about it is that it will only cycle with certain load. But then again, it does looks pretty cool.

HKMadness
09-19-2011, 3:22 PM
I dont hate desert eagles. A more accurate statement (for me) would be to say "they are not on my top ten list of guns i want to buy next". Merc's reasons in post 2 are also some of my reasons, but the point of guns is finding what works for the individual shooter. Like previously said, if you like it and it works well for you, to hell with everyone else's opinion.

I bet you paid over $1,000 for that thing, didnt you?

HKMadness
09-19-2011, 3:23 PM
And... :useless:

Let us see your deagle

Colt-45
09-19-2011, 3:33 PM
And... :useless:

Let us see your deagle

Beat me to it. I was just about to post that.

Rangda
09-19-2011, 3:38 PM
I had a change shoot shoot one recently. It was the 357mag model instead of 44 or 50. It was very fun. The grip was huge. I shoot my Glock 21 weekly, but it still dwarf it. My brother's friend also has teh 50ae barrel/slide and when they shot it, it was a blast.

CK_32
09-19-2011, 3:39 PM
Its not that we hate it. It's just when people want to use it for hd because they shoot one on the video game. Impractical is more like it that hate.

For pure fun they are as good as it gets. Hand cannons. I have heard they are pretty unreliable but I've never shot owned or cleaned one my self.

Lead Waster
09-19-2011, 3:45 PM
The opposite of a Desert Eagle would be, say a Ruger MK III.

Cheap to buy.
Cheap to shoot.
Easily to handle.
Easy to shoot accurately.
Pow! 4 cents. Pow! 4 cents. Pow! 4 cents. 550 rounds for 20 bucks
Stopping power? Stops tin cans right in their tracks!

DE?
KaPowwy!! 1 Dollar. Kerboom! 1 Dollar!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to shoot one at the range for a bit (before I ran out of ammo) but for a pure fun gun, there are others to choose from. Enjoy yours!

Rekrab
09-19-2011, 3:46 PM
You know, for the longest time I assumed that because it was manufactured by IMI that it had some kind of military application.

The new ones look pretty slick with their picatinny rail on top of the barrel. But I think I like the original looks nicer.

And as far as haters... I blame Counter Strike. Hell, that game and more recent FPS games with "Deagles" in them are probably the only reason those guns sell as well as they do. I still like mine, even if it is impractical, hard to find ammo for, and obnoxious to detail strip.

DArBad
09-19-2011, 3:48 PM
Some firearms are just for fun, I guess some people just don't understand that, which is why people hate certain things a lot of the time. People hate what they cant understand.

+1. I myself don't hate the the Desert Eagle, in fact I find them fascinating. That said, I really don't think I would buy one. Now, if someone will give me one, I won't say no!

Rekrab
09-19-2011, 3:50 PM
Oh, and note that after almost two years I have only put 420 rounds through my .44 Mag Desert Eagle.

joe_sun
09-19-2011, 3:52 PM
I don't know about hate, it's just the practicality of one. That and everyone that doesn't own a gun thinks they are the end all be all of handguns.

Marlin Hunter
09-19-2011, 3:55 PM
I have read a lot on how they are such POS guns but i wanted one just for the hell of it, not to use as protection. and they look cool

It took awhile but PRK got me a brand new one ( made in the USA) 50 in brushed chrome and so far it has been great.
I was amazed at how accurate it is.
Doesn't have that bad of recoil as i would have expected. less than shooting my Smith 629 44 mag
i've put couple hundred rounds though it with zero issues.

Is it impractical ? sure
Is it fun? oh yeah :)

Not sure what people expect from them but i think it is a great gun.

I do not know if they are POS. I have never shot one.

They use revolver cartridges in a semi-auto pistol. There isn't much use for them even if hunting. Handgun hunters prefer revolvers or single shot Thompson Center pistols. If I shoot a 44 or 357, I don't feel like picking up my brass. They are also ugly and weight too much.

Astig Boy
09-19-2011, 3:58 PM
I used to want that gun, before I got into firearms as a hobby. I wanted the component system package that had interchangable slides for .357, .44 and .50AE.

Now it's just too hollywood for me, and the gamers talking about how badass the Deagle is on COD/CS/anyothergamewithadeagle pretty much sealed the deal that I will never own one.

I'm in the same boat as asgalindez. Back when I didn't know anything about firearms as a kid is when I wanted one. It was just the ultimate cool gun to me back then. I can understand also that people own particular firearms just because they are flat out cool and not for the practical part. Kudos. Cuz even I am guilty of owning like 4 unpractical firearms. It is just that the D'eagle is so mainstream, it is one of two guns that most folks know about because of Hollywood(the other being Glocks). Last time I was in a store that had a Desert Eagle on display, a couple gang bangers rolled in and the first thing they said when they saw it, "O.M.G. there it is...the D'EAGLE..." Just the way he said it made me laugh. They spent their whole time in there just staring at that and the glocks. And they didn't seem to care or take notice of the more higher end guns sitting in the same shelf; the Sig 210 or the Night Hawk 1911s. :facepalm: So go figure. I find nothing wrong with the DE, but for me it has a mainstream fanboy stigma that I don't like.

Zartan
09-19-2011, 5:06 PM
Should buy another one, so you can dual-wield while firing full-auto.

Colt-45
09-19-2011, 5:12 PM
To me the fascinating part about them is the bolt in a handgun.

semiautosniper
09-19-2011, 5:21 PM
I got one because I hike in the national forrest a whole lot, and carrying a .45 near my camp ground just doesn't cut it for me in terms of adequate protection against 4-legged animals, and I cannot handle the sharp recoil of S&W revolver in 44 magnum... When the BigFoot emerges from the forrest and wants a piece of my butt, I have got two 4s for him in 240 grain TMJ. haha.

GUNNTZ
09-19-2011, 5:39 PM
I will agree they're heavy guns, but damn fun to shoot and accurate. Shot about a hundred rounds this weekend and just had a stupid grin the whole time (I reload all my ammo). Not everyone hates them, I had tons of lookers and droolers. Only real drag is cleaning and proper lube of the parts, without this things can get stuck.

quarterscalelegends
09-19-2011, 5:53 PM
I have one in 50 cal. dont shoot it a lot, just bring it to end the day at the range. I gotta say i love it. not only is it a great piece of history, but its rediculous and that makes it cool. I guess it comes down to your passion. If you passionate for guns then you probably appreciate it for what it is. If you just go out shooting and clean your gun after 100 trips to the range, my guess would be that you dont appreciate it.

beerman
09-19-2011, 5:54 PM
The opposite of a Desert Eagle would be, say a Ruger MK III.

Cheap to buy.
Cheap to shoot.
Easily to handle.
Easy to shoot accurately.
Pow! 4 cents. Pow! 4 cents. Pow! 4 cents. 550 rounds for 20 bucks
Stopping power? Stops tin cans right in their tracks!

DE?
KaPowwy!! 1 Dollar. Kerboom! 1 Dollar!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to shoot one at the range for a bit (before I ran out of ammo) but for a pure fun gun, there are others to choose from. Enjoy yours!

These are really a gun for a reloader,unless your name's Buffett or Gates. My buddy has had one for years.Very accurate,very dependable very fun to shoot but very,very big.Too big for my small paws. A definate crowd pleaser at the range...yea,I like em.

okglockman
09-19-2011, 6:01 PM
I actually hunt large game with my .50 Cal DE. While it cannot replace the excitement of sticking an animal with an arrow, it is definately more exciting for me than shooting at a long distance with a rifle. I enjoy stalking animals....and if they choose to stalk me....I know I have a round that will stop them. Heck...if I miss and hit a tree.....the tree will fall on them.. lol j/k

tacticalcity
09-19-2011, 6:04 PM
Cool for the ego factory. Fun for plinking. But just not a practical self defense weapon.

quarterscalelegends
09-19-2011, 6:08 PM
i have 15 other handguns that are practical for self defense... but i have a feeling that if someone broke into my home the DE would work too? :) LOL

drunktank
09-19-2011, 6:39 PM
I don't like them because they are unwieldy (for me) and in my experiences haven't been very reliable. More of a novelty. I'm more of using my guns as tools than anything and the DE doesn't fit my bag. More power to you if you enjoy it. In the end all firearms are fun :)

gorenut
09-19-2011, 6:48 PM
I don't hate it one bit, but like many others.. definitely not even on my want list. Impractical, expensive, and from what I understand - can be sensitive to ammo (don't quote me on this, just heard from someone who used to own one).

but as far as hate.....

One word...

DEAGLE

I'm in the same boat as asgalindez. Back when I didn't know anything about firearms as a kid is when I wanted one. It was just the ultimate cool gun to me back then. I can understand also that people own particular firearms just because they are flat out cool and not for the practical part. Kudos. Cuz even I am guilty of owning like 4 unpractical firearms. It is just that the D'eagle is so mainstream, it is one of two guns that most folks know about because of Hollywood(the other being Glocks). Last time I was in a store that had a Desert Eagle on display, a couple gang bangers rolled in and the first thing they said when they saw it, "O.M.G. there it is...the D'EAGLE..." Just the way he said it made me laugh. They spent their whole time in there just staring at that and the glocks. And they didn't seem to care or take notice of the more higher end guns sitting in the same shelf; the Sig 210 or the Night Hawk 1911s. :facepalm: So go figure. I find nothing wrong with the DE, but for me it has a mainstream fanboy stigma that I don't like.

These sum it up.. when some people grow up watching movies or playing video games.. thinking the "Deagle" is the ultimate handgun graduate to actual gun ownership, they quickly want to deviate and "correct" their misconception as quickly as possible (not wanting to be associated with the mainstream hype). It doesn't help when you talk to friends/co-workers who don't know much about guns ask "Do you own a Deagle?" Then quickly lose interest in your collection with a simple "oh...." when you tell them you don't.

thawein1856
09-19-2011, 6:56 PM
If you have one you just understand why they're a joy to own and so much fun to shot. Had mine for 1.5 years and only put 45 rounds through it. It's not a gun that you shot a lot (and I even reload for it) but when you pull it out and pull the trigger there's nothing like it.

redcliff
09-19-2011, 7:31 PM
Not a hater, but not a fan either.

I fired a few magazines through one in .50ae with Hornady 300gr hollow points; I felt the recoil was much stronger than my typical .44 mags through my Model 29's. Personally I prefer the lighter weight of the 44mag revolvers and the versatility of using many different loads.

yoitsbruce
09-19-2011, 7:34 PM
they shoot. real nice. they are heavy enough to absorb alot of recoil (.44 mag). if its too heavy try some push ups and curls it makes it lighter

kosherbacon
09-19-2011, 7:39 PM
I want a deagle brand deagle. They're just so outrageous and interesting I couldn't help but think they're awesome.

epcii
09-19-2011, 9:03 PM
I don't hate them. I just can't afford them! And, even if I could, I'd only want one in .50 AE, but I live in CALI!!

bw762308
09-19-2011, 9:34 PM
I got a Desert Eagle then heard someone call it a Deagle. I like Beagles. Deagle sounds like Beagle. Now I like it even more. Woof.

See my Deagle here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=446299

Norsemen308
09-19-2011, 9:43 PM
most of the people who talk hate ont eh Desert Eagle have never shot one, and you will see many say the same thing with .44 mags, but if you grab a desert eagle and bang off a clip, and you are not smiling, there is no medical alternative thats ever going to turn that life around.

bsg
09-19-2011, 9:43 PM
if i got one, i'd need a holster that would go to my knees. i'd feel like Elmer Fudd.

BigFatGuy
09-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I was shooting a rental DE in .50 at a rental range years ago. The guy next to me with the shotgun leaned over and said "that's just silly..."

;-)

leoffensive
09-19-2011, 11:04 PM
look up desert eagle vs pig on youtube lol

Twinspool
09-20-2011, 4:36 AM
I have a Desert Eagle simulator; I hold a 2x4 stub and swat Sacajawea dollars at a target badminton style. It feels the same!

My redonculous gun is my 500, I love it. Can't explain, just love.

JeremyS
09-20-2011, 7:23 AM
I don't hate them. I just can't afford them! And, even if I could, I'd only want one in .50 AE, but I live in CALI!!
Nothing wrong with .50 AE in California. Or .50 Beowolf, or .500, etc. Only .50 BMG is illegal. The .44 mag DE is the only one on the roster, but you could single shot a .50 or just get a caliber conversion for your .44 mag one.

I think they're cool. But they're mostly a novelty, which is why people are negative on them sometimes.

a1c
09-20-2011, 7:36 AM
Because it's hard not to feel that some people are getting one to compensate for something else.

That said, I'd love to shoot one. I'm sure it's fun. Beautiful design, and such a clever mechanism. But would I buy one? Hell no.

gorenut
09-20-2011, 8:03 AM
look up desert eagle vs pig on youtube lol

Hah, never seen that video. Wonder why they too their jolly time to put the pig out of its misery.

himurax13
09-20-2011, 8:47 AM
I would love to shoot an IDPA match with a "DEAGLE" :). I wonder if it will operate properly with .44 Special rounds. Anyone willing to loan me the gear? I will pay for the ammo ;).

MrExel17
09-20-2011, 8:52 AM
I like the DE not much of a hater either but the cannon is way down the want list. It's just weird when people hype it up for home defense.

Lead Waster
09-20-2011, 9:28 AM
As some one mentioned, this is a gun to buy a reloading press for! I reload 9mm, it's barely worth it. I can imagine with a .44 mag, you are making huge savings. Does the DE fling brass into the next county?

Oh, and I don't hate it. I don't hate any gun (except in the hands of bad guys), I'm purely a recreational shooter. I don't CCW, or carry for work, I actually don't even have any firearms next to my bed or anything (everything is in a safe away from little fingers). So I can definitely appreciate an "impractical but fun" gun. You should have a .22 as well though. Bring new shooters to the range, teach them some skills on the .22, then say "OK, are you ready for this one?" Then everything else will be easy for them! ;)

Lancear15
09-20-2011, 9:46 AM
I don't like them because they are unwieldy (for me) and in my experiences haven't been very reliable. More of a novelty.

exactly, I've shot the .50 and 44. the action feels like crap, the workmanship looks like crap, etc... junk gun IMO.

rp55
09-20-2011, 9:51 AM
One word...

DEAGLE

Three words...
BULLET TOOTH TONY
http://www.filmweb.no/bilder/multimedia/archive/00107/Vinnie_Jones_i_Snat_107734a.jpg
Some media portrayals can never be lived down.

urethra.franklin
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
So honestly...I've been perusing Gunbroker and GunsAmerica and have seen some interesting deals on DEs.

The current roster states:

Model Gun Type Barrel Length Caliber Exp Date
DE44CA BC / Steel Pistol 6" .44 Magnum 6/11/2012

What exactly does this mean to CA gun buyers?

We cannot get the .357 or .50 kits?

What about used models? Same restrictions?

Press Check
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
On stand-by for a picture of said DE.

In the meantime, as long as it is not a primary defense weapon, it doesn't have to be practical, and the cool factor is definitely there.

deadcoyote
09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I also don't get the anti- DE crowd. i've shot a .44 and a .50 DE a few times. It's cool, I'd never own one but its not my money so what do I care. I'd love a DRACO or a Rossi Ranch hand, both equally as pointless in my opinion.

I've got a friend that spent $3300 on a Wilson 1911. That seems incredibly dumb to me, but again, it's not my money. to each their own. I have another buddy who thinks I'm an idiot for owning a bunch of C&R bolt guns. He only buys AR's and Glocks. now I love my Glock, but again, its whatever you're into.

MrElectric03
09-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I think they are pretty cool. Id like to own one sometime but I have a few other guns which are a bit cheaper and cheaper to shoot that ill buy first. I think thats the big turn off about them is the price, typically looking at $1500 used depending on cal and if they have any more barrels, then the cost of ammo.

ehair
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
i got one in .50 and one in .44. Its not practical but fun particularly in .50. Its a fine handgun given the right situation. i think the hate stems from all the hollywood movie crap.

KrazyKevy
09-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Yah I want one cause A-Wax in Menace II Society had one!
"Need a little help homie?" :)
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/f/f0/M2S-Deagle-2.jpg

FashionBiff
09-20-2011, 2:22 PM
I would say some people seem to be compensating for something, not all but some and the fact that the word "DEAGLE" was coined kills it for me.

hkfooey
09-20-2011, 2:32 PM
I would love the DE 50, just the cost of ammo stops me.

On the other hand, I would love to see someone takes a DE50 to a USPSA match in the Production class (or Limited 10). LOL :)

InGrAM
09-20-2011, 2:41 PM
Yah I want one cause A-Wax in Menace II Society had one!
"Need a little help homie?" :)
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/f/f0/M2S-Deagle-2.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!!! Omg, that movie made "boys n the hood" look like a Disney movie....

Merc1138
09-20-2011, 2:42 PM
So what have we learned from this thread?

Not many people actually hate the desert eagle.

A lot of people dislike it for practicality reasons, doesn't mean every gun has to be practical.

Some people don't like it due to how it's manufactured/operated, possibly justifiable considering the cost if they handled a poor example of one or the fit and finish isn't comparable to something else of similar cost.

A few people don't like the stupid "deagle" name bestowed upon it by the gaming crowd.

No one on a forum(calguns) for actual gun enthusiasts and owners really hates the thing just to hate it, that seems to be reserved for the wannabes on a videogame forum that want to appear superior to the other users.

Maddog5150
09-20-2011, 3:29 PM
My buddy has one. Really unreliable with any store bought range ammo. I reloaded some hotter loads and the accuracy and reliability went up almost 100%
I'm no master reloader or anything, just pumped out some rounds for him. You cant fire light stuff through them and you need something with more power to cycle it.

Cali-Shooter
09-20-2011, 3:48 PM
One word...

DEAGLE

You hit it right on the dot. Or rather, crosshair.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ySK9UKf50jk/Slkxo2IkHYI/AAAAAAAAAWw/p9aHR3dRyhM/s400/Counter-Strike+Deagle.JPG

epcii
09-20-2011, 3:57 PM
COUNTER-STRIKE! That takes me back. Way, way, back. The 1.6 patch ruined it, though.

Cali-Shooter
09-20-2011, 4:07 PM
I WISH I could get one for $650... then I'm sure to jump onto the "deagle" train, lol

cineski
09-21-2011, 4:48 AM
People hate because they theorize with no personal experience (kinda like most people who follow politics). The internet's psychological impact on us makes this phenomenon worse. I've been guilty of this. In the past I disliked Glocks for no reason other than lack of experience and for what I read. Once I had hands on experience (by chance I might add) I found out how amazing they were and now people accuse me of being a Glock fanboy. Well, to me a fanboy is someone who is just the opposite of a hater but still have the same lack of experience to back up their claims which are based mostly on reading forums. So a fanboy I'm not ;-).

09-21-2011, 2:29 PM
... the fact that the word "DEAGLE" was coined kills it for me.

+1

:laugh:

quarterscalelegends
09-21-2011, 2:35 PM
actually i have found that you need to explain to people that are NOT into guns why they are so cool. When they see it next to my 44mag smith and wesson, they will always think the smith is much more powerful and crazy looking.

Honestly i dont see how any real enthousiast CANT have one of these in there collection. Its one of the basics i think.

masayako
09-21-2011, 6:33 PM
Gun bigger than sense is what I usually think of DE owners

chris650
09-21-2011, 6:45 PM
I wish I had one.

guns4life
09-21-2011, 6:52 PM
I'd buy one if they were about 600.00. I can't get myself to buy a novelty gun when the list of quality guns I want is so painfully long.

It's like taking a pause from collecting classic cars so you can buy a raced out Pinto that can do wheelstands...

osxgp
09-21-2011, 7:14 PM
I think people dont like the Desert Eagle from the way it's always been portrayed in movies. In a lot of action flicks, the bad guys sometimes have a desert eagle while the good guy has a Beretta or something. I've never heard anything bad about the quality or reliability though.

Fishslayer
09-21-2011, 7:28 PM
Not hate, but the deagle fanboiz have a statistical skew toward the annoying d'bag side of the scale. Not as bad as Glock or certain 1911 types, but working on it.

A lot of them DO have a sense of humor about it tho. ;)

bsg
09-21-2011, 7:33 PM
I can't get myself to buy a novelty gun when the list of quality guns I want is so painfully long.

that's where it stands with me. it would be a novelty gun for me because i simply couldn't use it. i have a short list of guns i really want; a short list with a long time wanting.

Fishslayer
09-21-2011, 7:45 PM
that's where it stands with me. it would be a novelty gun for me because i simply couldn't use it. i have a short list of guns i really want; a short list with a long time wanting.

Long time waiting, sure... but when ya finally get to cross one off... :D

... ya just go right ahead & add two more!:facepalm:

mif_slim
09-21-2011, 8:33 PM
I don't think theres hate, the gun people just got teed of seeing it in movies.

I had one, it's a safe queen. Took it hunting once, never again. Other then that, nice and accurate gun.

Akya
09-21-2011, 11:28 PM
I just bought a mk 19 for 1,035 used but in excellent condition. Another 170 to get it into Cali legal though. I found plenty of mk 1 and 7 for 500-800 dollars. Then there are the idiots trying to sell a standard mk 7 for what a new mk 19 is worth. If you want one that is a reasonable price and don't mind not having the easy barrel swap get a 7 or 1. Watch gun broker and guns America, the ones priced low sell really quick. Although the mk 19 is bigger I think it looks better proportionally. Just my opinion though.

tankarian
09-22-2011, 7:42 AM
Why not buying DE?

-displayed in too many "C"-rated Hollywood productions
-impractical in every aspect
-not reliable with every brand of factory ammo.
-heavier, more unpleasant recoil when compared with same caliber revolvers (DE slide and straight grip directs recoil back directly into the web of your hand, curved revolver grip directs recoil upward and tangential to hand). I shot both, 44Mag DE and 44Mag wheelguns, so don't even try to tell me it's not true; DE recoil feels twice as nasty when compared with a Ruger or S&W.
-in .50AE is expensive to shoot. At $1.50 a pop you flinch every time you pull the trigger. And that's not because of the recoil. When I go to the range I want to have fun blasting away, not count how much the trip it's gonna affect my family budget.
-if you reload, picking up the brass from the floor is literally a pain in the arse.
- depending on your race when you shoot the DE at the public range, it has the magical ability to write either "noob", "gangsta"or "cholo" on your forehead.

tankarian
09-22-2011, 7:57 AM
most of the people who talk hate ont eh Desert Eagle have never shot one, and you will see many say the same thing with .44 mags, but if you grab a desert eagle and bang off a clip, and you are not smiling, there is no medical alternative thats ever going to turn that life around.

The only reason I would smile is because you are using the word "clip" instead of magazine.

http://www.hausofguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/clipsvsmags.jpg

Rekrab
09-22-2011, 8:13 AM
-heavier, more unpleasant recoil when compared with same caliber revolvers (DE slide and straight grip directs recoil back directly into the web of your hand, curved revolver grip directs recoil upward and tangential to hand). I shot both, 44Mag DE and 44Mag wheelguns, so don't even try to tell me it's not true; DE recoil feels twice as nasty when compared with a Ruger or S&W.

I have too, and I think you're full of it. My DE definitely has softer recoil than a 44 Redhawk with a 6" barrel. A few cylinders through the Redhawk and my hand was sore. After 50 rounds on my Desert Eagle I don't feel anything.

tankarian
09-22-2011, 8:30 AM
After 50 rounds on my Desert Eagle I don't feel anything.

Maybe because your hand is numb? ;)

Rekrab
09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Clever :p

But seriously, I've let all kinds of recoil sensitive people handle my Eagle, most of them thought it was surprisingly low recoil compared to a .44 revolver. Maybe it's because I don't always shoot balls-to-the-wall ultra high velocity ammo?

tankarian
09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Clever :p

But seriously, I've let all kinds of recoil sensitive people handle my Eagle, most of them thought it was surprisingly low recoil compared to a .44 revolver. Maybe it's because I don't always shoot balls-to-the-wall ultra high velocity ammo?

Could be. I do reload and found my high velocity 44Mag to be a lot less unpleasant when fired from my revolvers than 44Mag factory ammo shot from a Deagle.
But then, it is also true that perceived recoil differs from person to person. For example, I consider the .380 Hungarian FEG to be the most painful piece of hardware I ever shot, yet I have no problem in firing 200 rounds of high velocity 300 grain .454Casull rounds from a BFG revolver in a single range session.

SixtyDashOne
09-22-2011, 2:43 PM
People like to rip on it because it's traditionally a hollywood/videogame pistol with not much practicality, therefore a mall ninja toy. I have one in .50AE and I enjoy shooting it on occasion, but can't afford to shoot it regularly. Even the .50AE is not that bad as far as recoil. I was honestly somewhat scared to shoot it for the first time because I didn't know what to expect but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. And anybody that says the DE recoil is worse than a revolver of the same/comparable caliber is full of ****.

mif_slim
09-22-2011, 3:09 PM
Well, I use to do single handed shooting with the DE, my gamer friends thought I was a bad arse! lol. They never had the nerve to shoot it because it had massive recoil in Resident Evil. lol

bsg
09-22-2011, 6:56 PM
Long time waiting, sure... but when ya finally get to cross one off... :D

oh yea; it sort of works that way....

sevensix2x51
09-22-2011, 7:15 PM
I didn't use to hate them. I have fired one many times since I was a young lad, and thought, "hey, that's kinda cool."

Then, for the past several years, when somebody I know who has seemingly just figured out that guns exist in the real world asks me about guns, they always seem to ask me if I have a "Deagle." No, I don't have one of those. I don't care to have one. I realize that I can instantly blow off peoples' limbs and send them careening though a plate glass window with a single round, fired from a "deagle" held parallel to the horizon without even aiming, apparently, and that the "deagle" is the most powerful handgun in callofsuperhonordeathkill2022, and in fact, the world; so it makes no sense that I don't have one. I must not know what I am talking about.

Now, I hate them. :) (not really, but jeez, it does get annoying.)

saki302
09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
I used to own a .50AE Israeli one, and sold it before the annoying term 'deagle' became popular.

It was accurate, the trigger had a nice break (but was heavy), and mine functioned well, but failed to lock the slide back about 1/3 the time (no jams). Recoil with HOT .50 loads is about the same as an average load in a .44 revolver.

For actual carry though, it doesn't come close to a revolver in terms of weight vs. capacity. More like an engineering excercise in "can I build this?"

I prefer a magnum revolver, so the DE got sold. For the same size and weight you can have a .500 mag revolver that's 2X as powerful, if that's what you're looking for.

If you want a .44 DE, I liked the older models better- they're lighter and slimmer (not designed to take the full beating of the .50 round).

-Dave

JAGACIDA
09-23-2011, 1:10 PM
Gov. Arnold loves Desert Eagles.

dascoyne
09-23-2011, 2:59 PM
The problem isn't the gun itself, but it's the jokers educated on video games that believe the DE is the last word in firearms that drive me nuts sometimes.

Which reminds me of a thread from another forum I frequent. One guy posted the following thread. And he's not a troll - he's well-known on that forum and was dead serious. Excerpts:

Thread Title: This is like the best gun you could have.

"http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976409243.htm

Desert Eagle .50 AE

Israeli Military Industries = the best, top quality... you could shoot anything with this piece, man. This is better than any American or Russian guns."

"...this gun is so powerful it could shoot you through a wall and still kill you! I know you have to recock it or whatever to fire the next shot, but seriously, if your aim is right, you dont need a second shot!"

When he got thrashed from all sides he replied ...

"Come on, look at the SIG P-229 (.40) that Powerclown posted. Yeah, it might be a good gun, but it looks so small and weak compared to the Desert E!

I mean, I can believe that some guns may jam, but I honestly have to say, inexpert that I am, the main Israeli arms manufacturer, of one the most technologically advanced military forces in the world, is not going to mass produce a gun that doesnt work. if you look after this piece I am sure it will work fine 99.9% of times, and its stopping power is off the hook."

"Israel's army is one of the best armed, is probably the best trained and best overall infantary force in the world. They are well supported by good American planes and world leading Israeli and American missile technology.

But that is off topic.

This is an elite handgun, people can come up with whatever criticisms, the fact is, it is internationally respected and famous."

I, admittedly, groan when someone starts a conversation about the DE only because 50% of the time it ends up like the thread above.

Smithereens
09-23-2011, 3:44 PM
my love affair ended after i rented it, i had lots of complaints during range time. Still cool *** gun though

mtenenhaus
09-23-2011, 4:09 PM
i'm a real wimp when it comes to recoil but for some reason the .44 wasn't too bad...and surprisingly accurate. Kind of wish they weren't so expensive though or i'd consider purchasing one.

walmart_ar15
09-23-2011, 4:26 PM
My buddy has one. Really unreliable with any store bought range ammo. I reloaded some hotter loads and the accuracy and reliability went up almost 100%
I'm no master reloader or anything, just pumped out some rounds for him. You cant fire light stuff through them and you need something with more power to cycle it.

Owned one for many years. Gun is gas operated with rotating bolt and requires full power ammo to function properly. So your average range/show reloads just not going to cut it.

With that said, remove the inner spring from the recoil assembly. Problem solved!!! :)

BTW, don't use non jacketed bullet. The lead shavings will plug the gas port/tube. (Same for HKP7, Steyr GB, or any gas gun)

RTE
09-23-2011, 4:42 PM
Let us see your deagle
sure twist my arm :p

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/gallery_imgs/1228282337/gallery_4554_28_10697.jpg

PsychGuy274
09-23-2011, 4:45 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to buy a Desert Eagle in 50 AE and yes, it WILL be gold plated. Because that's how I roll.