PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your AR???

Sgt. J Beezy
09-19-2011, 9:04 AM
Am I a "freak" because it takes me 1 1/2-2 hours to thoroughly clean my AR. I went shooting yesterday and was up until 2:30 cleaning my guns. My AR was last, and took 3 times as long to clean. I like my shizz looking new after a clean, so it was thorough, just wandering if this is par or if I am going overboard.

Have fun!

Josh3239
09-19-2011, 9:12 AM
Overboard. Your personal AR isn't your Marine issue AR. When you get home no one is doing a white glove inspection and then going to kick your *** if they find a bit of carbon on it. The military way of cleaning is more or less a hold over from unreliable black powder weapons mixed with present military methods of team building, punishment, dedication, taking care of military property, etc. If you are using it for bench rest I can understand keeping the barrel clean but you AR isn't going to gum up because you forgot to shove a q-tip through the gas tube. Much of the AR is self cleaning; the gas tube will blow out anything, and the bolt will actually work out the carbon in the carrier. Proper lubrication will break up a small bit of carbon, and keep the rest soft. Your AR made to run through it. Really the only reason to give an AR a good cleaning is to inspect for damage. The bolt design is unfortunately weaker than a lot of designs, it is prone to damage on the lugs and around the thin area where the cam pin slides through. Cleaning the carbon off makes seeing damage much easier. Other than that there is no real reason to clean. That's right I said it :)

Here is a great article for you: http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

HK35
09-19-2011, 9:20 AM
It only takes a couple minutes for me to clean my piston AR: boresnake (3x) and wipe the chamber with a patch; done! It takes me at least 15 mins to clean my DI since I have to clean the BCG, which is a pain, and clean the inside portion of the upper.

Dark Mod
09-19-2011, 9:23 AM
Im very meticulous about cleaning too, it was just ingrained in me from boot camp i guess. Im pretty efficient though, i run an assembly line: First everything gets sprayed down with whatever solvents im using, let it it soak and run down the bore. Then plunge the bores and run patches through. Once the bores are clean i move on to the body, everything is already dissasembled and soaking in solvent. I hit each peice with a toothbrush, then wipe off with paper towels. Then i hit details with Q-tips until theres no carbon left. After that i lube and reasemble.

The whole process takes about an hour for 4 or 5 guns

HK Dave
09-19-2011, 9:44 AM
Overboard. :)

someR1
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
man overboard!

15-20 minutes is PLENTY !

EvolutionGSR
09-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I usually take 10-15 mins using an otis kit.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
15-20min!! Ride her hard an put her away wet should be good to go...my LMT loves the abuse!!

BANG BANG
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
15-20min!! Ride her hard an put her away wet should be good to go...my LMT loves the abuse!!

this...

stix213
09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
5 minutes ever 4th or so trip. You're not going to eat off it.

Quinc
09-19-2011, 1:00 PM
around 45-ish. I clean the BCG and chamber too though.

ir0nclash86
09-19-2011, 1:04 PM
For you guys who spend 15 min cleaning, post up some pictures of your bcg group and chamber so we can see whats good enough.

If im gonna take th time to pull out my rifle and bench, solvents, etc im gonna make sure its spotless. Im not gonna pull everytbing out and half clean it. Im anal about cleaning anything and everythig though ie dusting, vacuuming, mopping. If i strart something im gonna keep going till its immaculate.

vincewarde
09-19-2011, 1:15 PM
My DI AR takes the longest to clean of everything I shoot. Still, it doesn't take all that long - maybe 20-30 minutes. That includes a complete tear down of the bolt carrier assembly, as well as cleaning the gas tube, the trigger area and the bore. Of course, it also includes a re-lube of everything.

I absolutely love my AR, but IMHO nothing gets dirty faster or requires more lube to operate. I own a SKS, a M1 Carbine and a M1 Garand and none of these piston guns even come close to needing as much attention as my AR.

peter95
09-19-2011, 1:31 PM
im a basic 15-25 minute clean guy. Never more than 25 mins.

why? My ar doesn't need it. It will still shoot great.

Once in a while its worth a total overhaul but its not needed.... its like doing an oil change on your car 500 miles after you already did it 2 weeks before. Not needed.

Pistongunner
09-19-2011, 1:51 PM
When I clean DI AR's, it takes me 1.5 hrs. Carbon removal sucks on a DI BCG. I haven't shot any of my DI's in over 2 years.

On my LWRC, LMT and Stag piston AR's, cleaning is easy (35-45min). Spray, wipe, lube BCG and upper receiver. Spray wipe piston rod and related parts and that takes me 10 min including taking apart the bolt. The longest part is cleaning my barrel and chamber I run like 25 patches down the barrel and finely Q tip the chamber and the lugs. My cleaning is overboard!

Arnelcheeze
09-19-2011, 1:54 PM
inspect, boresnake, clean piston. done. 15-30min.

the_t0ny
09-19-2011, 2:12 PM
I'll spend about 45 mins cleaning it and I'll put my BCG in my friends ultrasonic cleaner, but I only do this after every 5th range trip or so. On too of that I shoot dirty wolf/brown bear ammo through mine and it runs just fine without cleaning it.

Equis
09-19-2011, 2:48 PM
I've read that the Fail zero kits all you do is wipe down the bcg, and upper , then clean the barrel normally. Anyone have a FZ?

Sent from my iPhone prototype lost at a bar using Tapatalk

LBDamned
09-19-2011, 3:15 PM
im a basic 15-25 minute clean guy. Never more than 25 mins.

why? My ar doesn't need it. It will still shoot great.

Once in a while its worth a total overhaul but its not needed.... its like doing an oil change on your car 500 miles after you already did it 2 weeks before. Not needed.

Depends on the use... if you track your car you're gonna want to change brake fluid (and possibly pads) before and after - your engine oil, differential oil and trans fluid will be more often too... if you're just driving it to work then no...

IMO all my guns are the same way - if it gets heavy rigorous use I will do thorough cleaning (30-45 min) - if its only a few mags or shotshells not as much detail is needed... also depend on shooting conditions - if its a clean indoor range the amount of time will be different than a day in the dirt.

SIGSHOOTR
09-19-2011, 3:29 PM
I clean my guns after 400-500 rounds. My M4 takes about half an hour or less. IMO, it's more important to keep it properly lubed.

negolien
09-19-2011, 3:35 PM
I probably spend about 30-45 mins fully cleaning my AR. However I take a table and bench out on my porch and lay all my crap out. Then I might bust out a cold one and spray everything down with CLP. I drink another brewski and then start on the barrel with a couple passes with the brush then a few with some patches and finally a few with my mop before a fast scrubbig of the compensator. I then move on to the interior of the upper which can be a real Pain in the butt and usually takes me the most time. I then work on my 3rd beer and start scrubbing my BCG, charging handle and inside the lower. I usually crack beer 4 while I' am dropping some oil on my BCG and other parts needeing lube. Reassemble, wipe with soft cloth and then with graphite cloth re- install optics and gtg. After that I usually take a nap :43:...

mif_slim
09-19-2011, 3:39 PM
Who spends an hour to clean a simple gun like the AR?? I voted for "clean? you have to clean them?" haha.

FatalKitty
09-19-2011, 4:40 PM
I said 45 minutes. I usually sit down in front of the TV with movie that has guns in it to clean up - I take my time and clean it thoroughly but I'm not obsessive about it but I do make sure it's inspection clean

dieselpower
09-19-2011, 4:54 PM
pour some scrub down the bore...get a beer ...pour some scrub in a bowl, drop the BCG into the bowl... make a sammy,... eat drink, be merry,..... run a few patches down bore....get another beer....disaasemble the BCG, use toothbrush on everything, wipe it down... get canned air and blow the lower out ....reassemble.... spray on lube...cycle action...put her away... finish beer.

15-30 minutes tops.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-19-2011, 5:10 PM
15-30 minutes, depending on the condition. It shouldn't take longer than that, really. And that includes the BCG and chamber. I have run some of mine for hundreds or rounds over several months without cleaning, and had no issues. Just a quick lube, rack it a few times, and go. No problems. I normally try to clean them after shooting, but I don't stress too much about it if I miss it. My SHTF gun is kept perfectly clean and lubed though. I may be sloppy at times, but I am not stupid about that kind of stuff.

-Mb

Cuda440
09-19-2011, 5:22 PM
15-25 minutes here.

Spray it with clp, boresnake the barrel, scrub the reciever with a plastic brush (I use a 12ga chamber brush, it cleans the barrel extension great) Wipe out with a rag and a few q-tips. Swab the chamber with a 9mm cotton swab.

Scrape the bolt with a brass 308 shell, and scrub with clp. Scrape the bcg's inside with a carbon scraper, and swab with a 45cal cotton swab, then scrub the outside and wipe off. Clean the firing pin, q-tip the firing pin channel, clean all the small parts, and scrub and wipe the charging handle.

The lower occasionally gets hit with the air compressor.

Lube and reassemble.

For you guys who spend 15 min cleaning, post up some pictures of your bcg group and chamber so we can see whats good enough.

Here you go- I just wiped the grease off for the pics-
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/006-2.jpg
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/004-3.jpg
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/005-2.jpg

17+1
09-19-2011, 5:44 PM
Not that much time spent standing there watching the solvent work...patch it with solvent, take a walk, load some ammo, have a beer, etc.

Come back, patch again, observe fouling.

BOOGIEMAN
09-19-2011, 6:03 PM
After disassembling the major parts I spray everything with WD-40, then use air compressor and then clean the chamber with chamber cleaner then I will blow air again on the upper receiver and then proceed to swab the barrel. And after that I would disassemble BCG, scrape the bolt as needed and wipe parts, of course I also remove carbon inside bolt carrier using carbon scraper. The lower, I just spray it with WD-40 and then air.Thats it, re-lube everything, re-assemble, Done.

dr_communist
09-19-2011, 6:24 PM
When I get back from the range I field strip. Spray the chrome bcg and barrel with brakleen. Then a bit of hoppes to make sure I got everything. Lube it then put her away.

NYY
09-19-2011, 6:30 PM
depends on how much I shoot....

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
09-19-2011, 7:17 PM
Am I a "freak" because it takes me 1 1/2-2 hours to thoroughly clean my AR.
Have fun!

No, you aren't a freak. It takes you an hour and a half becuase you are cleaning it on your living room table and watching The Delta Force movie with Chuck Norris while you are doing it.

Everyone knows you can't put the buffer in until the last terrorist is dead. That's why it takes an hour and a half.

:cool:

Sgt. J Beezy
09-19-2011, 10:41 PM
How the hell did u know that???

Are u stalking me???

captbilly
09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
If you care about long lasting sub moa accuracy then I would probably not use a boresnake. I suppose that if you use a boreguide and are very careful to not rub the muzzle crown with the snake, then a boresnake might be ok, but a single piece rod is probably better. In the scheme of things, bore cleaning is probably the least important part of you rifle to clean. In fact serious precision shooters sometimes do only minimal bore cleaning, the theory being that anything that might change the surface of the barrel is to be avoided. Consider that unless your barrel is so dirty that the bullet has trouble getting through, it will not effect reliabily. But a dirty chamber can cause feeding problems, and a dirty BCG, or trigger, or ejector, could cause a jam.

There have been many verified stories of ARs going for over 10,000 (longer than the lifetime of a precision .223 barrel) rounds without cleaning, and without a jam or misfire.

Reductio
09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
BCM Filthy 14.

I'll run some solvent down the bore, scrub it out, oil her up then put her back in the safe. I might even break down the BCG and buffer tube if I shot a case of russian crap, then again, I might not... not a single FTF or FTE due to the gun yet.

luckystrike
09-20-2011, 12:30 AM
My guns are super clean. I'll put over an hour into cleaning per gun. I don't think you are going overboard

supertrooper
09-20-2011, 1:17 AM
for the upper i just spray the bcg, chamber and upper reciver with brake cleaner and run a bore snake down the barrel. for the lower i wipe off the hammer and magwell. then for lube i put a drop of clp on the usual fcg spots, one on each bcg rail, one on the gas rings, cam pin, and a couple on the locking lugs.

Fiveohmike
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
I just take everything apart, hit everything with gun scrubber....go fast and furious quick style with a tooth brush, wipe everything off......boresnake 3x then lube her up wet.

I think its like 15 minutes...

Now my Kimber Raptor II Stainless, and my AR10 .308 I go over meticulously........

timmyb21
09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Most days it just gets a run through with a bore snake and wipe down then lube the bolt/carrier, done. I've only stripped the thing down and ocd cleaned it once in a couple thousand rounds.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
How the hell did u know that???

Are u stalking me???

Your're right. I was stalking some other person cleaning an AR Rifle and got you mixed up with them.

Everyone knows you were actually watching Red Dawn!

:laugh:

Uriah02
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I haven't spent that much time since I was getting ready for the final inspection at Basic. I like a clean weapon, then again there is a reason I am a piston fanboy.

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I clean my guns to near inspection readiness after I shoot. It just a habit after all this time. Besides, I like it

Now who's the weirdo...?

Of course, even I dont think I could take an hour and a half to clean ONE AR. I might spend a couple hourse cleanig three or four rifles and pistol or two after getting back from the range. I also shoot corrosive in my comm bloc guns, so thats a while nother bunch of bull****....

1911su16b870
09-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Keep it lubed always...clean it when you have time.

coyotebait
09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
pour some scrub down the bore...get a beer ...pour some scrub in a bowl, drop the BCG into the bowl... make a sammy,... eat drink, be merry,..... run a few patches down bore....get another beer....disaasemble the BCG, use toothbrush on everything, wipe it down... get canned air and blow the lower out ....reassemble.... spray on lube...cycle action...put her away... finish beer.

15-30 minutes tops.
Dude, it took you 30 minutes to have 2 beers? Wow, you were really taking your time.

Your're right. I was stalking some other person cleaning an AR Rifle and got you mixed up with them.

Everyone knows you were actually watching Red Dawn!

:laugh:

Red Dawn, Now you're talkin'.

stag6.8
09-20-2011, 5:38 PM
To me one hour should be more than enough time to FULLY clean a DI ar rifle. Thats what it usually takes me..cause every time I clean it..I fully break apart and clean/oil the bolt, every time. One good thing though, at least you know beyond a doubt that when you really need your rifle, its cleaned and oiled and ready to rock....btw....If youre doing that much work to clean your rifle, I hope youre doing the same thing to your magazines....break them apart and inspect/clean the springs and follower. Clean the inside of the magazine bodies. Then spray the inside with a little oil. there just as important.

Cuerno_de_Chivo
09-20-2011, 5:44 PM
I haven't even cleaned it since i got it.

GMG
09-20-2011, 7:46 PM
A bore snake and some lube............What am I missing?

NYY
09-20-2011, 8:17 PM
just depends on how you know your rifle and how it fires with a certain amount of "dirty effect". you obviously WANT it to function. So people clean it as accordingly. whether its 1min, 15 mins, or hour. some enjoy cleaning it, not looking at it like" dangit i have to clean it".

swataccord
09-21-2011, 1:19 AM
my ar is piston driven ...only takes me 5 mins to wipe down and lube what needs to be lubed.....i wipe it down and relube after every use so i never have any build up that needs any real scrubbing with cleaners