PDA

View Full Version : What Ammo do i use to break in my new 1911 kimber?

triggerhappyLA323
09-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Hey guys i just got my kimber and im planning on breaking it in this weekend. My question to you guys is what brand of ammo do i use? what has work good for you guys?

I want to buy atleast 500 rds to start could you guys point me to any good deals online or local to los angeles.... Thank you

Cali-Shooter
09-19-2011, 12:56 AM
I run everything thru my Kimber, Winchester WB .45 FMJ, WBB (Winchester Black Box), Remington UMC .45, CCI Blazer Aluminum cased .45 ACP FMJ, and even cheapo TulAmmo steel cased .45 FMJ.

No problems with any of them. YMMV.

Cali-Shooter
09-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Also, I got the TulAmmo from Wally World, although you could probably score a good amount for a great price off of gunbroker or something. Also, there is this one calgunner doing a group buy on reloaded ammo, .45 ACP is among the calibers.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=477361

wizdumb
09-19-2011, 1:45 AM
My six year old Kimber loves PMC. Stick to 230gr ball ammo and avoid most hollow points, it should run fine for you.

Kawgomoo
09-19-2011, 2:02 AM
use brass ammo...no reason shooting out the chamber in that over priced...er i mean, expensive gun ya just bought.

tacticalcity
09-19-2011, 2:06 AM
I've been running MagTech 45 ACP 230gr FMC in my Kimber Custom II 1911.

Uhhlexxxis
09-19-2011, 2:21 AM
everything.

kTC xDEICIDEx
09-19-2011, 2:37 AM
I'd say stick too FMJ ammo during the break in period. Hell I used range reloads on my overpriced Kimber and it ran like a champ! Get yourself some good magazines though good luck and post a range report! 

dwtt
09-19-2011, 4:47 AM
Does it really matter? I would think how well the owner cleans, lubes, and monitor the gun's condition is more important than what ammo to use when new. But then, I don't own a Kimber.

resident-shooter
09-19-2011, 4:54 AM
Winchesta, UMC, any factory loaded ammo will work.

chim-chim7
09-19-2011, 5:06 AM
Anything ball. Brand makes zero differance unless you somehow get malfunctions.

xxINKxx
09-19-2011, 6:58 AM
For my kimber custom II I used new Winchester white box, and pmc bronze both fmj.

Durring break in, when my chamber got dirty (I think about 200 round mark) the gun would start to jam every once in awhile. Once I cleaned it, it was running fine til dirty.

If you plan on shooting all those 500 rounds at once be prepared to clean it a few times. Mine for sure got a bit finicky when it got dirty.

But then again .45 1911s send a pretty good shockeave in your hand, shooting high round count in 1 sitting in a 1911 can be challenging. My hands and fingers always start to get sore after a couple hundred. I admit I couldn't shoot the 500 recommended rounds for break in at 1 range session.

Moto4Fun
09-19-2011, 7:24 AM
You kidding?

1911's "Shockeave" is less than most other .45s. Sure, it ain't no .22, and 500 rounds of anything might take its toll on your hands, but a 1911 would be what I would want to shoot 500 rounds of .45 with if I had to choose.

tacticalcity
09-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I definately fell it after range day with my 1911. Especially in the part of my hand where the backstrap of the grip was seated. Shooting arm is soar, support arm and neck are just a little soar. Depends on how many rounds I sent down range. So I can see what xxINKxx was saying. 230gr ball is no joke. It's not hyrdashock, and it certainly is not uncomfortable to the point of being unmanagable but you do feel it...especially a couple hours later. I get fatigued pretty quickly with 45acp, especially compared to 9mm. Maybe I am just getting old.

All that said, it's fun and I shoot the first 200+ rounds very well. That's about when my arm says "that was fun but what's next?".

shooterfpga
09-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I definately fell it after range day with my 1911. Especially in the part of my hand where the backstrap of the grip was seated. Shooting arm is soar, support arm and neck are just a little soar. Depends on how many rounds I sent down range. So I can see what xxINKxx was saying. 230gr ball is no joke. It's not hyrdashock, and it certainly is not uncomfortable to the point of being unmanagable but you do feel it...especially a couple hours later. I get fatigued pretty quickly with 45acp, especially compared to 9mm. Maybe I am just getting old.

All that said, it's fun and I shoot the first 200+ rounds very well.

i would say youre getting old or have a weird stance that is making it hurt you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

redcliff
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
My favorite factory ammunition in .45acp is RWS followed by PMC Bronze, both 230gr fmj.

If I'm shooting for groups indoors with the poor lighting 200 rounds is about as much as I want to do as my concentration waivers a bit with many more than that. If I'm outdoors shooting larger reactive targets and the lighting is good I can burn 500 rounds but usually stop after 350.

InGrAM
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Tulammo ;) I kid. Anything will work, as long as the gun feeds it reliably.

Original Phantom
09-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I am not too particular about brand as long as it is quality factory ammo such as Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc. Anything with a brass case, jacketed ball bullet, and preferably 230 grain.

I try to stay away from hollow points or anything with a truncated bullet as they tend to feed less reliably (at least for me). However, I resolved that to a large degree by tuning my magazine followers.

Also, I have a Kimber TLE/RL II and I use Chip McCormick magazines.

triggerhappyLA323
09-19-2011, 9:40 PM
Thanks to veryone guys this is really helpful!!!!

Where do you guys get youre ammo from?

loosewreck
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Bullet_man911 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397946)

I haven't bought an ammo from him yet, but it looks like lots of LA County calgunners are really happy with him.

Dark Mod
09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Bullet_man911 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397946)

I haven't bought an ammo from him yet, but it looks like lots of LA County calgunners are really happy with him.

I second the motion. 500 rounds of .45 acp should run you about $295 out the door.

kermitz
09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Any ball ammo should be fine. I've been using Remington FMJ 230gr without any problems.

triggerhappyLA323
09-21-2011, 9:43 PM
hey guys so i got 250 rds of Remington umc METAL cased 230gr the mega pack... Do you guys think this is ok for the break in. I have herd from a couple of people that brass is the best way to go? why not metal or steel?

elephantrider
09-21-2011, 9:55 PM
hey guys so i got 250 rds of Remington umc METAL cased 230gr the mega pack... Do you guys think this is ok for the break in. I have herd from a couple of people that brass is the best way to go? why not metal or steel?

Well brass and steel are both metals, so calling it "metal" case doesn't really mean anything. There is brass cased ammo and there is steel cased ammo.

Many are concerned about running the cheaper steel cased ammo because of the potential additional wear and tear, or even damage it could cause (compared to running brass cased ammo).

I'm not really sure what if any damage steel case ammo could case to a 1911 in particular. Perhaps extra stress on the extractor? Someone already mentioned concern about the chamber, but I doubt the chamber would be harmed by the steel. But, I'm no 1911 expert.

For the most part you wont find too many people running steel case ammo through 1911s. Steel case is usually the cheapest and lowest quality ammo available. 1911s are usually expensive guns, so shooters tend to use a quality brass cased ammo in them.

triggerhappyLA323
09-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Well brass and steel are both metals, so calling it "metal" case doesn't really mean anything. There is brass cased ammo and there is steel cased ammo.

Many are concerned about running the cheaper steel cased ammo because of the potential additional wear and tear, or even damage it could cause (compared to running brass cased ammo).

I'm not really sure what if any damage steel case ammo could case to a 1911 in particular. Perhaps extra stress on the extractor? Someone already mentioned concern about the chamber, but I doubt the chamber would be harmed by the steel. But, I'm no 1911 expert.

For the most part you wont find too many people running steel case ammo through 1911s. Steel case is usually the cheapest and lowest quality ammo available. 1911s are usually expensive guns, so shooters tend to use a quality brass cased ammo in them.

Thank you for this info... guess im on the market for some brass ammo now :mad:

PRCABR4Christ
09-22-2011, 12:16 AM
just use the cheapest ammo you can find to break it in... :)

elephantrider
09-22-2011, 3:00 AM
Thank you for this info... guess im on the market for some brass ammo now :mad:

Your 1911 may be just fine using that steel case ammo. I suggest you do some research (google) on the topic and see what others say. I'm sure you will find many that shoot a ton of it without any problems. You will also find amny that wont touch steel case. Try and learn a little more about our gun, the 1911 platform in general, and then make your own informed decsion.

Remember that just because your gun is in the break-in phase that you can work on other things as well. Getting more familiar with your new gun, practicing your fundamentals, working out any reliability kinks. Don't just throw rounds down range with break-in in mind. Make them count. It would also be a good time to try out different ammo types and settle on a practice round.