PDA

View Full Version : could this be helpful, you think?

Gunfighter01
01-31-2007, 6:46 PM
I am currently trying to compile any and all information regarding firearms in calif. Including but not limited to: any and all penal code sections relating to firearms, DOJ's FAQ'S off the website, entire text of SB23, relevent posts on this and other firearm websites, including copies of the documents that DOJ has written to various forum users, copies of DOJ'S interpetations of certain pc's and anything else i can come up with. I then plan on putting all of this material on one of those computor memory sticks, that are the size of a chapstick. Then i can keep it in my range bag, or my vehicle. Then if it ever became that i was arrested or one of my firearms were confiscated, either my public defender or my personal attorny, with a lap top would have all of this information at their fingertips. Dont know if it could help me or not, but like i always tell my son, better to have and not need, than need and not have. I am interested in any opinions on this idea.

JALLEN
01-31-2007, 8:29 PM
I am currently trying to compile any and all information regarding firearms in calif. Including but not limited to: any and all penal code sections relating to firearms, DOJ's FAQ'S off the website, entire text of SB23, relevent posts on this and other firearm websites, including copies of the documents that DOJ has written to various forum users, copies of DOJ'S interpetations of certain pc's and anything else i can come up with. I then plan on putting all of this material on one of those computor memory sticks, that are the size of a chapstick. Then i can keep it in my range bag, or my vehicle. Then if it ever became that i was arrested or one of my firearms were confiscated, either my public defender or my personal attorny, with a lap top would have all of this information at their fingertips. Dont know if it could help me or not, but like i always tell my son, better to have and not need, than need and not have. I am interested in any opinions on this idea.

Your attorney or public defender will have all the statutory, and regulatory materials, and access to digests, interpretive works, compendiums, etc. that lawyers use. (S)he might not have ready access to some of the forum stuff, copies of interpretive DOJ letters, etc. Also, if you keep it in your range bag, it may be included in the confiscation. By the time you meet with an attorney, after whatever incident has caused the meeting, you would be able to retrieve it from home, probably. I think copies of some of that material, on hand, might be more useful for reference as you explain to the officer(s) why you are as innocent as a newborn fawn.

damon1272
01-31-2007, 8:39 PM
The prosecutions' response in court may be "he new the laws that he was breaking so well that he carried copies of those laws with him to the range in his gun bag" :eek:

xenophobe
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
I am currently trying to compile any and all information regarding firearms in calif...

You mean you're asking everyone else to compile this information for you. :rolleyes:

Vidiot
02-01-2007, 9:50 AM
The prosecutions' response in court may be "he new the laws that he was breaking so well that he carried copies of those laws with him to the range in his gun bag" :eek:
Easy solution for that. Zip all the files together and encrypt them with GPG. Then upload them to a couple of free website accounts. Then if you are busted, all you have to do is give your attorney a URL and a password. He’ll have full access, and the prosecutor won’t have squat.

brighamr
02-01-2007, 1:41 PM
I think compiling this info would be a great idea and a good candidate for sticky. There are a lot of new gun owners who would like the info readily at hand, and I for one, would carry copies in my range bag, car, house safe, and store another one on my web server. (I have space there if anyone else wants too) It may not keep a LEO from arresting me for a questionable gun, but I'd rather have legal documents on hand than be stuck saying "some penal code says this, and some memo says that". Sometimes having real documents handy could save you from trouble.

Having the info on a USB stick might not help so much at a range, but if you carried it on paper and backup on the USB, that's a good idea IMO.

To the person who started this thread, PM me and you can let me know what research\links you've already done. I'll send you what I have.

Gunfighter01
02-01-2007, 1:58 PM
well what i was thinking was,,,,, LEO's dont care about that stuff, you usually get the respone, tell it to the judge, thats there job to sort this stuff out. So i thought it might be handy to have this, for an attorney to have quick access to. Not neccessarily the pc codes, but more of the DOJ interpetations. Since according to some on this forum, the DOJ has the authority and the last word over any local DA. If you had copies of DOJ interpetations with DOJ letter head and signatures, wouldnt this be useful even before it ever got to court?,, i dont know, thats why im asking.

jester
02-02-2007, 8:39 AM
And yet when the DOJ is called on this , they say the DA will have to deal with it, from what I've read....