PDA

View Full Version : The Patch

easy
09-18-2011, 8:36 PM
If one earns the Rifleman Patch at an Appleseed, can one get a second Rifleman Patch from a different Appleseed event?

eg: get one from Corona, then get one from Bakersfield.

V
09-18-2011, 9:59 PM
If one earns the Rifleman Patch at an Appleseed, can one get a second Rifleman Patch from a different Appleseed event?

eg: get one from Corona, then get one from Bakersfield.

You only get to make Rifleman once and get one patch. After that you are either a Rifleman who's gotten rusty or your just showing off that you are a still a Rifleman. :)

And we won't sell you a Rifleman patch either, you have to earn it.

But there's nothing to stop you attending Appleseeds and bringing new friends to them and you can shoot it with different rifles etc. If the range has distance facilities available you can also shoot a Full Distance Army Qualification Test on real size targets at the actual distances (you need to have mastered your centerfire for that obviously)

Cheers
Phil

easy
09-21-2011, 7:01 PM
How would one location know if you qualed at another?

V
09-21-2011, 7:46 PM
You can buy war medals and march in the veteran's parade as well but most people wouldn't see any honor in that.

At Appleseed we don't assume you are a lowlife to be policed and checked on. Its a 50 cent patch you can order from China by the thousand - its value is in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers
V

Eljay
09-21-2011, 7:49 PM
Once you get the patch you can also buy a nice lapel pin online for $5. I have it on my range bag next to a GCA pin. Something of a conversation piece. I believe they keep some kind of records.

BlueDog333
09-23-2011, 1:20 PM
What about the Winterseed patch? I really want that one most of all. If I make rifleman before I can attend an event with snow on the ground can I still get the Winterseed patch? If not I'll have to start planning things out.

Eljay
09-23-2011, 2:32 PM
Judging from the after action reports I was reading last winter they'll give it to you as a new patch - I'm sure V or somebody will chime in if that's not policy, but that seems to be what people were doing. Also in some parts of the country they use the purple patches quite a bit and I don't think anybody would mind if somebody wanted one of each. Fundamentally, it's just a patch, if you've scored 210 the details after that aren't a big deal. What they want you focused on at that point isn't patches, it's hats! Accepting an orange hat and working up the instructor ranks...

V
09-23-2011, 2:40 PM
What about the Winterseed patch? I really want that one most of all. If I make rifleman before I can attend an event with snow on the ground can I still get the Winterseed patch? If not I'll have to start planning things out.

Youse guys are killing me....

OK, I can kind of understand the winterpatch, it shows dedication and application above and beyond the call of duty of a normal Appleseed. But collecting a badge per location I can't quite see.

The original goal of the Winterseed patch was to boost attendance at shoots where people might otherwise stay away due to the adverse conditions. If its going to stop people going to shoots and shooting rifleman then its counter productive.

I'll check with the powers that be but I'd guess my approach as a California shootboss would be as follows: You earn a rifleman patch at a shoot by shooting the score for the first time. If you shoot the score again at another shoot with a different rifle/different location I'd sell you the basic patch at cost. If you shoot the score at a winterseed and its a repeat I'd still give you the winterseed patch for the "over and above".

If you want another patch for "the other jacket" (the usual request) no problem, I'll sell it to you at cost but just drop and give me 210 first:)

Winterseed.... in California... seriously... the guys in the east will laugh at us.

Cheers
V

BlueDog333
09-23-2011, 3:30 PM
Youse guys are killing me....

OK, I can kind of understand the winterpatch, it shows dedication and application above and beyond the call of duty of a normal Appleseed. But collecting a badge per location I can't quite see.

Winterseed.... in California... seriously... the guys in the east will laugh at us.

Cheers
V

Thanks V. I definitely don't expect to snow here in southern CA and know I'm going to have to travel somewhere else to earn the Winterseed patch. I haven't made rifleman yet by the way and arn't trying to go "patch collecting". With winter weather coming soon I'm going to plan a trip up to north CA or elsewear so I can pick up that patch, I love the snow, wish it snowed down here.:(

ccandgc
09-23-2011, 4:07 PM
IMHO,
the patch is a bonus. The amount and quality of the instruction and what you learn is the real prize.

SkyStorm82
09-23-2011, 4:10 PM
I just googled the winterseed patch. I can see why you would want to hold out for a chance at that patch over the regular one.

BlueDog333
09-23-2011, 6:11 PM
^It'll look even better on one of these CMP shooting jackets.:cool:

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=827-B011-R/M&item=&sfv=&cat=EQA&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=#

I hope the CMP restocks my size soon.