PDA

View Full Version : Fatality question

Yankee Clipper
01-31-2007, 5:56 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the statistic on how many people are killed on our golf courses each year? I’m trying to find that statistic to compare it to the number of fatalities experienced by people in the shooting sports. I have no problem finding the latter. My sense is that golf fatalities are much higher: how many golfers hear someone shout ‘FOUR’ on a golf course when they are only 100 feet in front of the tee or in the next fairway not expecting a frontal shoot. I’ve looked before and have been unable to find the golf fatality statistic, either through my own lack of research skills or because that statistic is consciously buried.
I believe the golf statistic, when known, will be useful when defending our sport in front of our legislature, to keep our leases on federal and state lands, as well as blunt developers plans that may contend golf courses are safer/greener venues. It may also help us in discussions with the uninitiated in the shooting sports; i.e. CA-DOJ-FD and our other friends.
Thanks, in advance for the help.

Matt C
01-31-2007, 6:04 PM
When making the same arguement at a local college (I actually got the school to buy a gun for students:D ), I used the equestrian program. FAR more people die riding horses, which the school also buys, than shooting guns on an approved range.

dondo
01-31-2007, 6:13 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the statistic on how many people are killed on our golf courses each year? I’m trying to find that statistic to compare it to the number of fatalities experienced by people in the shooting sports. I have no problem finding the latter. My sense is that golf fatalities are much higher: how many golfers hear someone shout ‘FOUR’ on a golf course when they are only 100 feet in front of the tee or in the next fairway not expecting a frontal shoot. I’ve looked before and have been unable to find the golf fatality statistic, either through my own lack of research skills or because that statistic is consciously buried.
I believe the golf statistic, when known, will be useful when defending our sport in front of our legislature, to keep our leases on federal and state lands, as well as blunt developers plans that may contend golf courses are safer/greener venues. It may also help us in discussions with the uninitiated in the shooting sports; i.e. CA-DOJ-FD and our other friends.
Thanks, in advance for the help.
I like your style, throw in an injury category...with even different degrees of injury and you can include skateboarding, any boating sport, fishing, surfing, cycling (which by the way has a high mortality rate), moto-cross, jesus the list goes on. Let us know when you get some stats.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-31-2007, 6:37 PM
I remember reading an article that compared deaths at shooting ranges to deaths on golf courses, but I don't remember where.

Deaths on golf courses surpassed deaths on shooting ranges by a huge margin. But the main reason was because the average age of people on golf courses is much higher than the average age of people engaged in other sports. The deaths were mostly all from heart attacks.

Yankee Clipper
01-31-2007, 6:43 PM
I like your style, throw in an injury category...with even different degrees of injury and you can include skateboarding, any boating sport, fishing, surfing, cycling (which by the way has a high mortality rate), moto-cross, jesus the list goes on. Let us know when you get some stats.
Your right the list does go on and except for moto-cross, I've done the others, I still feel safer shooting.

dondo
01-31-2007, 7:02 PM
Your right the list does go on and except for moto-cross, I've done the others, I still feel safer shooting.
Oh agreed, I would imagine it ranks as one of the safest. I surf and have been hurt but I know one person who died and a couple who have been seriously injured. I play golf and really never been injured but I did take out a BMW front windshield. you do however hear about men dying on the golf course all the time. I rode road bikes for 10 years and by far the most dangerou sport. Albeit almost always self imposed by *******s riding in traffic and running lights and such. One of the reasons I got out of the sport......weenies. Oh I can go on......

Yankee Clipper
01-31-2007, 7:07 PM
I remember reading an article that compared deaths at shooting ranges to deaths on golf courses, but I don't remember where.

Deaths on golf courses surpassed deaths on shooting ranges by a huge margin. But the main reason was because the average age of people on golf courses is much higher than the average age of people engaged in other sports. The deaths were mostly all from heart attacks.
There are now, in the competitive shooting shorts, a classification the rules call Grand Seniors. And one of the Grand Seniors won the 'F' class Senior and Grand Senior class with a score that buried some of the younger shooters at the F class Nationals in Sacramento this past year. Seniors are 60 plus and Grand Seniors are 70 plus. So the golf world doesn’t have a monopoly on seniors, though I grant, their numbers must be exponentially larger. My Dad, by the way, played golf until he was in his early 80's - so I'm not against that game. If there is a way to get the 'accidental' deaths that occur on the golf course that would be the number needed.

Yankee Clipper
01-31-2007, 7:22 PM
When making the same arguement at a local college (I actually got the school to buy a gun for students:D ), I used the equestrian program. FAR more people die riding horses, which the school also buys, than shooting guns on an approved range.
Equestrian accidents hit too close to home for me. One family member, who became single in her 40's, posed for Playboy in her earlier years (never published), became a cripple (I hate that word) in a riding accident (the horse was spooked). So far I personally only know of one crippling accident, at a 'regulated' shooting range, in all my considerable years of shooting.

DedEye
02-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Equestrian accidents hit too close to home for me. One family member, who became single in her 40's, posed for Playboy in her earlier years (never published), became a cripple (I hate that word) in a riding accident (the horse was spooked). So far I personally only know of one crippling accident, at a 'regulated' shooting range, in all my considerable years of shooting.

My sympathies. I've been thrown, but wasn't hurt. Really sucks to hear what happened to her.