PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 795 Odd ammo tidbit

pennys dad
09-18-2011, 6:49 PM
Today at the Appleseed in Corona Kestryll was having issues with his 795 feeding ammo.
Another Calgunner told him it was the ammo.
Said the hollow points with shoulder caused the issue. Kest switched his ammo to a rounded shoulder and everything worked.
Anyone else seen this?

Khanan
09-18-2011, 8:37 PM
I got my daughter a 795 about a month ago and while zeroing it in in preparation for Appleseed, I found that it didn't like Winchester bulk hollowpoints (555) at all and would frequently jam with the ejecting case being caught by the shell that was being inserted. Had to use a pair of pliers to remove it. This would happen every 3 or 4 mags. Same thing happened with Federal bulk hollowpoints (525 pack, red box) but not as frequently. Maybe every 10 mags. CCI Blazer bulk pack (525) LRN did not have a single issue.

My Glenfield 60 at all of the above except had a few problems with the Winchester.

I'm sorry I missed the Corona 210. I have to be on call for work one weekend a month and that was the weekend.

Merc1138
09-18-2011, 9:19 PM
I got my daughter a 795 about a month ago and while zeroing it in in preparation for Appleseed, I found that it didn't like Winchester bulk hollowpoints (555) at all and would frequently jam with the ejecting case being caught by the shell that was being inserted. Had to use a pair of pliers to remove it. This would happen every 3 or 4 mags. Same thing happened with Federal bulk hollowpoints (525 pack, red box) but not as frequently. Maybe every 10 mags. CCI Blazer bulk pack (525) LRN did not have a single issue.

My Glenfield 60 at all of the above except had a few problems with the Winchester.

I'm sorry I missed the Corona 210. I have to be on call for work one weekend a month and that was the weekend.

Interesting, my friend's marlin kept failing to feed with blazer at an appleseed, I handed him my box of federal bulk hollowpoints(525 red box) and he was good to go. His jams didn't involve the spent shell, they kept hitting the edge of the chamber above the feedramp and leaving visible divots in the end of the rounds.

pennys dad
09-19-2011, 3:30 AM
Hmmm, very interesting comments. I have seen issues with winchester X bulk before and federal bulk, I always used the federal auto match white box so I never saw those issues. Good info

Khanan
09-19-2011, 8:45 AM
I always used the federal auto match white box so I never saw those issues. Good info

Dano mentioned the Federal match ammo as what he uses when I was at an Appleseed a few weeks ago. I may try in in my daughter's 795 and my 60 and see how it goes.

Chaos47
09-19-2011, 9:21 AM
My friend used some Winchester 555 bulk hollowpoints thru my 795 no issues out of maybe 100 rounds fired.

I allways use Blazer value packs tight groups no malfuctions so far (Yes I know not HP, just saying what ammo my gun likes the best it seems)

defyitall
09-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I shot like 300 Federal bulk 36 grain hollow point (525 box) out of my 795 this weekend with no trouble. I'm beginning to think each 795 is different.

gratefuldog
09-19-2011, 8:18 PM
I loaned my 795 to a gentleman @ Corona this weekend, and he had multiple problems shooting bulk Winchester ammo....stovepipes and FTEs, mostly. I gave him some CCI Blazer, and the Marlin ran like a champ!
BTW, Winchester bulk .22 burns dirty, too!

goofcat
09-20-2011, 1:25 PM
Just shot my 795 for the first time this weekend. Cycled Mini-Mag, Blazers, American Eagle and Walmart Federal bulk 375 pack, without any problems. Must of shot about 500 rounds total.

I don't run Winchester or Rem in any of my .22's because people seem to have lots of mixed results with either brand. My time at the range is valuable, I don't want to spend it messing with unreliable ammo.

notme92069
09-20-2011, 1:44 PM
I shoot Winchester 555 bulk and I have very infrequent failures to eject. The spent case gets caught by the bolt. I've never needed pliers to eject the case.

Vacaville
09-20-2011, 1:47 PM
I've been shooting Federal through mine and haven't had a misfeed yet.

Oh, and I recently found my manual that came with my rifle and I noticed that it says not to shoot high velocity or hyper velocity ammo through the 795. Does anyone know why?

Merc1138
09-20-2011, 1:53 PM

Oh, and I recently found my manual that came with my rifle and I noticed that it says not to shoot high velocity or hyper velocity ammo through the 795. Does anyone know why?

Probably because of the plastic recoil buffer.

Donny1
09-20-2011, 1:57 PM
Mine rarely has a FTF or FTE with any ammo so when it happens I have no comparative data as far as what ammo caused the problem. I buy whatever (except golden bullets) is on sale. When I first got it I had some issues but after about 1k rounds or so I maybe have an issue with 1 round in 1k rounds. Sometimes I make 2-3 trips without one problem.

dtjester
09-20-2011, 2:56 PM
I shot like 300 Federal bulk 36 grain hollow point (525 box) out of my 795 this weekend with no trouble. I'm beginning to think each 795 is different.

Same here, I had 1 or two feed issues but it was magazine related.

Chaos47
09-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Better re-read that because the manual says the rifle is designed for high... hyper is a no-no

page 4 (of the pdf marked page 2)
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Self_Load_RF_Clip_22LRMACH2.pdf