PDA

View Full Version : 1911 ejector question

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 2:34 PM
Quick question guys. I was just cleaning my 1911 and while wiping around and on the ejector, it just came out. Is this normal? It's not loose or anything but it is really easy to pull it out of the frame. Thanks for the help.

timmyb21
09-18-2011, 2:47 PM
Not good. What kind?

ojisan
09-18-2011, 2:48 PM
There is supposed to be a cross pin in the frame that holds it in.
One of the ejector legs should have a half-circle notch in it where the pin shoud pass through.

Kruzr
09-18-2011, 2:52 PM
Lemme guess....it's a Springfield. SA glues the ejector in and leaves the pin out on many models. If the frame is drilled, you could get a roll pin, notch the ejector leg and install it properly.

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 2:54 PM
It's a Springfield TRP. Where is the cross pin supposed to be? I can't seem to find it.

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 2:56 PM
How about if I just use some blue loctite? Or should I glue it?

Kruzr
09-18-2011, 3:03 PM
The hole would be in the frame track under where the front leg of the ejector is. If it wasn't drilled, Springfield will drill and pin it for no charge if you call them and send it back.

You can see one here:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical%20Look%20at%20Springfield%20Mil%20Spec_fi les/image026.jpg

To "reglue" it, use alcohol to degrease the leg hole and the leg. Use red loctite. Ejectors shouldn't be removed for any reason other than to change it.

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks Kruzr. Ya, mine doesn't have that unfortunately. I don't know if I wanna send it back to them just to drill the frame and put a pin in for the ejector. Do you think I'll have issues if I just use some blue loctite to hold it in place?

Bhobbs
09-18-2011, 3:13 PM
Thanks Kruzr. Ya, mine doesn't have that unfortunately. I don't know if I wanna send it back to them just to drill the frame and put a pin in for the ejector. Do you think I'll have issues if I just use some blue loctite to hold it in place?

I would use red. Blue is the more easily removable version.

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 3:14 PM
The hole would be in the frame track under where the front leg of the ejector is. If it wasn't drilled, Springfield will drill and pin it for no charge if you call them and send it back.

You can see one here:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical%20Look%20at%20Springfield%20Mil%20Spec_fi les/image026.jpg

To "reglue" it, use alcohol to degrease the leg hole and the leg. Use red loctite. Ejectors shouldn't be removed for any reason other than to change it.

Just saw your reglue comment. I don't have any red loctite but I do have blue. I used some blue and it seems to be held in pretty securely. I'm putting a lot of pulling force to see if I can pull it out and I can't now.

LeoC
09-18-2011, 3:18 PM
Blue loctite is the weakest one, and gets even weaker with the application of heat. I doubt it would hold the ejector in place for very long. Getting it pinned would be the best option, red loctite best temporary fix, IMHO. Good luck to you

Kruzr
09-18-2011, 3:32 PM
You'll just have to see if the blue holds up. I would check it every once in a while. If it loosens, then use red. When that goes, then you can have it drilled and pinned. :)

emtnsocali
09-18-2011, 3:33 PM
i just sent my springfield 1911 ss loaded back to them because the rear tab of the ejector broke off inside the frame......all covered under the lifetime warranty. ive read on the internet that red locktite at a minimum and jb quick is better to secure an ejector if you do it yourself.

btw...my 1911 is 10 years old. maybe 4000 rounds though it.

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 3:34 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I went out and bought some red loctite. Hopefully this will do the trick until I send it back to Springfield later to get it pinned.

Q619
09-18-2011, 3:44 PM
You did well in getting the red :p funny enough, the US made Springfields are just glued while the Brasillian ones are pinned. I prefer them to be pinned AND glued

Kruzr
09-18-2011, 3:45 PM
You did well in getting the red :p funny enough, the US made Springfields are just glued while the Brasillian ones are pinned. I prefer them to be pinned AND glued
You can find glued Mil Specs also. It depends on when it was made. They have changed over time.

The reason for the red rather than blue is the blue is made to break free with force. The red requires heat. Since the ejector takes a hit every round, it's best to use the permanent type.

Q619
09-18-2011, 3:53 PM
You can find glued Mil Specs also. It depends on when it was made. They have changed over time.

The reason for the red rather than blue is the blue is made to break free with force. The red requires heat. Since the ejector takes a hit every round, it's best to use the permanent type.

I use red for everything.....there really isn't much use for blue, at least for me. I just use a TINY amount of red on something that I want to be able to take back off like grip screw bushings or the like and it'll still come off when you want it to if you do it right.

At least to this point, ALL the Imbel guns I've seen had pinned ejectors. I DID see an exception of a Genesseo stamped mil spec with a pinned ejector once though. Just a funny quirk I've noticed between the two different stampings.

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 4:47 PM
That's really strange. Why would they put pinned ejectors on the Brazilian made ones and not on the US made ones? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to have one way of securing the ejectors on all their 1911's?

Sheldon
09-18-2011, 4:49 PM
The legs on the ejector will osmetimes break...the red loktite will make getting the broken piece out a bear no? You could just leave it there as it will be held in place by the slide....just have to be careful to not lose it when you take the slide off for cleaning.

JTROKS
09-18-2011, 4:53 PM
Blue won't hold once oil and cleaning solvent get in there. I've used blue and red Loctite as a quick fix for ejector and front sights when I was shooting 3 times a week.

Pryde
09-18-2011, 4:55 PM
That's really strange. Why would they put pinned ejectors on the Brazilian made ones and not on the US made ones? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to have one way of securing the ejectors on all their 1911's?

Because the ones from Brazil are made in state arms factories (Imbel) to mil/gov spec. The US made ones probably omit the pin as a cost-cutting measure since there is no "spec" for civilian guns.

AeroEngi
09-20-2011, 2:00 PM
I just wanted to follow-up and for those who are interested, I applied the red loctite to the legs of the ejector and the damn thing is rock solid now. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.