PDA

View Full Version : high-end 1911 not satisfying

Bartin
09-18-2011, 12:40 AM
I recently rented a Nighthawk 1911 for the second time and I remain unconvinced. I really want to like the 1911 platform but I'm not that impressed with what I've shot so far, 250 rounds down range. I feel like the issue is the grip. I use hogue finger grips on my p226 as they are most comfortable and I shoot accurately with them (pretty large grips) Should I give the 1911 another chance or just move on?

G60
09-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Rental pistols are beat up.

You can get finger groove grips for 1911s.

Is that your only issue?

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 12:43 AM
I recently rented a Nighthawk 1911 for the second time and I remain unconvinced. I really want to like the 1911 platform but I'm not that impressed with what I've shot so far, 250 rounds down range. I feel like the issue is the grip. I use hogue finger grips on my p226 as they are most comfortable and I shoot accurately with them (pretty large grips) Should I give the 1911 another chance or just move on?

Is it only the grips that you don't like? You can always change out the grips to whatever you like. What do you think of the accuracy and overall function of the 1911 platform? What about the trigger? If the grips are your only issue, then that can be fixed.

JanG
09-18-2011, 12:44 AM
get a ria and put hogue finger groove grips on them :D

Bartin
09-18-2011, 12:48 AM
do the finger groove grips take away anything from the 1911 platform? For example, is a 1911 with finger groove grips better than a P220? The rental ran just fine, just didn't feel great. The finger grooves aren't important. The grip feel is. Maybe I just have large hands? The trigger was nice, but maybe not as amazing as I expected

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Just to give you an idea...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g416/AeroEngi/7c5c2454.jpg

Bartin
09-18-2011, 1:02 AM
AeroEngi, right there is my problem, and maybe my solution. That looks absolutely fantastic. And with the right size grips maybe I'll love actually shooting it. What are those grips? They look like they'd fit well. Also, has any tried putting different grips on a rental gun? Do you think they'd care? Maybe I was distracted by the grips, but are the rest of the benefits of a 1911 that great? I like the low recoil on such a large round but currently don't have a need to carry or shoot outside of range time.

Dhena81
09-18-2011, 1:05 AM
Bartin don't try and like a 1911 they are expensive if you don't like the grip stick to whatever you have now because once you become used to a 1911 every other gun you pick up will be ruined :eek:

Bartin
09-18-2011, 1:18 AM
Bartin don't try and like a 1911 they are expensive if you don't like the grip stick to whatever you have now because once you become used to a 1911 every other gun you pick up will be ruined :eek:

Hah! I so so so want to like it. It stands for everything I love and then some. I'm buying a ruger sr1911 even if I don't shoot it, I look forward to passing it down to my kids. I will own a colt soon. The question is, will I buy it because I like shooting it or just because it's "original"?

tacticalcity
09-18-2011, 1:18 AM
Just to give you an idea...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g416/AeroEngi/7c5c2454.jpg

I was just going to point out that Pearce makes these and that they slip right under your favorite grips.

Distro
09-18-2011, 1:21 AM
I've been thinking of buying a 1911 finally and will probably go with this combo to start off, even though it is one of the more cliche grip/pistol combos I have seen online. Seems like a cheap way to get into 1911's.

-RIA 1911= $419.99 recently at Turners
-Pachmayr grips.= $24-$30 online

http://i.imgur.com/YPgls.jpg

Bartin
09-18-2011, 1:26 AM
TacticalCity: ahh, I see. they are just front strap extensions under pachmayr grips if I understand. I appreciated the advice.
So has anyone tried changing the grips on a rental or should I just go for it? I guess worst case I'll have a rejection story and some Pierce finger grooves for sale

AeroEngi
09-18-2011, 1:30 AM
TacticalCity: ahh, I see. they are just front strap extensions under pachmayr grips if I understand. I appreciated the advice.
So has anyone tried changing the grips on a rental or should I just go for it? I guess worst case I'll have a rejection story and some Pierce finger grooves for sale

You can always ask them if you can change the grips out temporarily but it's totally up to them. But do you really wanna buy some grips just to try them out on a rental gun for a gun that you might not buy in the end?

wamphyri13
09-18-2011, 2:10 AM
Got big hands you say? Try renting and/or shooting a Para widebody. Big grip frame because it's double stack. Try that.
Ryan

gun4fun
09-18-2011, 2:41 AM
You can always ask them if you can change the grips out temporarily but it's totally up to them. But do you really wanna buy some grips just to try them out on a rental gun for a gun that you might not buy in the end?

maybe... 30 - 40 dollar grips or spending 2k on a gun and maybe the grips work for him ....get it 1911's are so sexy who cares how it shoots kinda like a trophy wive

Anchors
09-18-2011, 5:13 AM
Rental pistols are beat up.

This makes a huge difference.
I hated the range Glocks. Then when I actually bought one, I thought it was pretty awesome. I don't have it anymore, but only because I wanted to by other stuff with the money.

Glocks, Sigs, 1911, HK, etc. They're all way better if you can find a friend or CalGunner to let you check one out. The range guns are pretty brutalized.

JTROKS
09-18-2011, 7:39 AM
If you don't like the grip of a single stack 1911 with a checkered front strap and MSH with a nice deep beavertail I'm thinking you should keep moving until you find a pistol that is to your liking.

redcliff
09-18-2011, 8:03 AM
Oh no, think of the kittens! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=392821

I'm trying to become more tolerant in my older age. I'll accept some people have large hands and need a more hand-filling grip. And the OP and others in this thread may fall into that category and finger groove grips are the cat's meow for them (had to throw in another feline reference).

However, I'm also convinced there is a whole generation of shooters with small and average size hands that grew up with BLocks that don't know what a proper fitting grip on a pistol should feel like and don't understand proper handgun grip orientation down the centerline of your forearm and trigger finger reach. To those I would suggest trying 1911's with different trigger lengths, mainspring housings and grips. Personally I use slim grips, flat mainspring housing and short triggers on my favorite shooting 1911's and I have "average" size hands; I typically buy "medium-large" gloves. One of the nice thing about 1911s is that the grip size is modifiable, and you can select trigger length as well as curved or flat mainspring housings.

ZX-10R
09-18-2011, 8:58 AM
Interesting...I like the way the grips on 1911s feel better than my other handguns. It feels perfect. I have a Colt 1911 XSE and like the rosewood but just bought a Striker Industries grip replacement...Now it even feels better (I do not want to damage the rosewood).

After the Beretta M9A1 and either a Ruger or Sig 22 I will never buy another handgun that is not a 1911 pattern.

Striker
09-18-2011, 9:11 AM

Other than you don't have your favorite grips on it, is there anything else you don't like about it? Also, I would try to rent a different 1911 and see if you like that better. I shot hundreds of rounds through four different 1911s in one day, and out of all of them, the one I liked the most was the Kimber TLE rail gun. I was only the shooter; I don't have to maintain it or carrying it and I'm not saying Kimber is as nice as Nighthawk or WC, but was just pointing out that if you shoot a few different pistols, you might find one you like better than the others.

rogervzv
09-18-2011, 9:19 AM
Rental guns tend to be beat-up and unsatisfying to shoot. If you are interested in the 1911 platform, the suggestion in this thread about hooking up with a friend to try an owned 1911 is a good one.

There are a gazillion grip options for the 1911--undoubtedly more options than for any other pistol type. If you want finger groove grips, no problem. Personally I do not like grooves on a 1911 but plenty of the fellows do.

A good 1911 is a joy to shoot. Reliable, accurate, and easy to take down and clean afterwards. Also easy to get help on since the platform is so ubiquitous.

CK_32
09-18-2011, 9:20 AM
This is probably going to sturr the water but I some what feel the same way. After I shot that nickel size group at like 15 yards with my glock 17. It made me rethink having to spend $3k to get a group like that. I died for a 1911 and was drooling to buy one as soon as my 30 days were up for getting my glock. But now I'm sort of on the fence and really mostly want one 1 to say I have a 1911 and be able to pull mine out with my friends atthe range and 2 just because they look absolutely beautiful...

Other than that that's all I really want one for. I show a black hawk my self at the same time I shot my nickel size groups very smooth great looking gun but my groups were eh ( still needed to learn the trigger) but I don't want to drop all that cash anymore. Because for a while I was under the impression it was nearly impossible to shoot groups pike that with any gun but a 1911. But now I know better and am fully satisfied with my glock. I mean exactly how much smaller can my groups get. Defiantly not $3k smaller haha :D

But knowing me I'm still probably going to get one just because it's a 1911. But it got pushed way down on my purchase list after that day. YMMV just my $0.02

ElvenSoul
09-18-2011, 9:42 AM
Get a RIA and custom to your needs.

Q619
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
This is probably going to sturr the water but I some what feel the same way. After I shot that nickel size group at like 15 yards with my glock 17. It made me rethink having to spend $3k to get a group like that. I died for a 1911 and was drooling to buy one as soon as my 30 days were up for getting my glock. But now I'm sort of on the fence and really mostly want one 1 to say I have a 1911 and be able to pull mine out with my friends atthe range and 2 just because they look absolutely beautiful...

Other than that that's all I really want one for. I show a black hawk my self at the same time I shot my nickel size groups very smooth great looking gun but my groups were eh ( still needed to learn the trigger) but I don't want to drop all that cash anymore. Because for a while I was under the impression it was nearly impossible to shoot groups pike that with any gun but a 1911. But now I know better and am fully satisfied with my glock. I mean exactly how much smaller can my groups get. Defiantly not $3k smaller haha :D

But knowing me I'm still probably going to get one just because it's a 1911. But it got pushed way down on my purchase list after that day. YMMV just my $0.02

You don't get 1911's to shoot small groups though shooting smaller groups IS usually a byproduct for most people....you get them because it's one of the best shooting guns out there: and I don't mean purely accuracy wise. The trigger, sights, bore axis, grip thickness, grip angle, aesthetics, reliability etc all come together to give you one hell of a gun.....for me, it's as good as it gets. That's why I shoot one. Toss in the fact that out of autopistols, 1911's are pretty much at the peak of mechanical accuracy (think Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson etc......NOT Rock Island, Citadel :p).

Saying you want a 1911 purely to shoot small groups is like saying you want a Porche Carerra to drive fast.....you can spend half as much on a Corvette if you just want to drive fast. You get a Porche because you WANT a Porche and you appreciate it for what it is :D

zfields
09-18-2011, 10:49 AM
This is probably going to sturr the water but I some what feel the same way. After I shot that nickel size group at like 15 yards with my glock 17.

As long as you dont mind that group is 4 inches low and left of your target.
: )

OP: I envy you. I love 1911's, just not the price tag. Thats what keeping me from getting one.

Snoopy47
09-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I think it takes a little extra to appreciate a high end 1911.

My first was a Colt Model 70. Only the name makes it cool. It really isnít all that great of a 1911 platform. I couldnít hit the broad side of a barn with it, and it took some getting use too. Then I got a TRP, and it was a world of difference.

By time I got my Les Baer I had been shooting 1911ís exclusively.
So I was comparing my already improved shooting skill with a platform I was already familiar with, and then when I finally shot a Les Baer I was noticing the differences of why itís worth what itís worth.

I can easily see if one shoots M&P for example and shot 50k rounds through them, and then picks up a 1911 for the first time and canít hit anything with it that they might not be impressed with them. But I bet you they would appreciate the difference between a stock M&P and a tricked out one on par with any high end 1911.

wamphyri13
09-18-2011, 4:13 PM
There are 2 kinds of people in the world.
Those that, "get" 1911s, those that don't, those that love them, and those that don't love them yet. :D
Ryan

btm
09-18-2011, 5:40 PM
I'd say move on. There is nothing magic about the 1911. It is a great design, no question. There is an the incredible amount of aftermarket support available, and it is a proven design many times over but getting one to run the way you like can be a long trail.

One of the posts said to try the 1911 with different trigger lengths, spring housings and grips. Unless you are in a really cool club this just isn't going to happen. You would have to commit to the 1911 and then try all the different combinations otherwise.

If it does not feel right to you. find something that does. For myself, I think the CZ pistols and their clones feel better and shoot better in my hands. Actually I really wanted to like the Glocks because of the "feel" but after shooting several variations in competition I just couldn't get to like the trigger.

Sunday
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Either the gun works for you or it doesn't. Get something that works for you.

hkdad
09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
try shooting a 2011!;)

Original Phantom
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Feelings can lie and sometimes you need to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Shoot them side by side and see if you actually see improvement with the 1911. If no increase in performance then stick to what works and spend the money on ammo and training...

ZNinerFan
09-19-2011, 12:37 PM
The 1911 is a great platform. Great looking guns that are great shooters. I tried the 1911 platform twice (purchased 1911's on two separate occasions) and came to the same realization each time. The 1911 platform was not for me.

A gun can be great and still not be for you. Go with what you feel works best for YOU.

someR1
09-19-2011, 1:03 PM
I love my RIA Tactial. With the Hogue grips my hands fit perfectly. :cool2:

Jared1981
09-19-2011, 1:10 PM

I would try another 1911 or 2. I love the 1911, I own 6.

That being said, I'll give you sound advice....

It's all about preference and what you are comfortable with. Everyone's hands are different.

1911's fit me perfect, I have medium size hands.

I can't stand the feel of a Springfield XD in my hand (I regret ever buying one).

If you decide the 1911 is not for you, then it's not for you.

My favorites are Sig's and the 1911 platform... because they work for me.

Ruger makes good handguns too, affordable and reliable, but I don't own one.

Preference is above all else. Some people swear by Glocks, I can't stand Glocks but I own a G20 and a G29 because in my view the G20 is one of the best backpack guns and the G29 is a good option for carry; however, I own these Glocks not because I like them, but because they are reliable and they serve their purpose.

Deadon
09-19-2011, 1:16 PM
I bought a Kimber Raptor about a month ago. Its the best shooting gun Ive shot. Trigger is amazing and it just all around feels great. Ill be giving my Glock 34 a rest for a while.

ham
09-19-2011, 3:20 PM
Got big hands you say? Try renting and/or shooting a Para widebody. Big grip frame because it's double stack. Try that.
Ryan

side question but does anyone else other than para make a widebody 1911's?

ZNinerFan
09-19-2011, 5:28 PM
side question but does anyone else other than para make a widebody 1911's?

STI makes double stack 1911's or as they call them 2011's.

CRTguns
09-19-2011, 5:33 PM
1911s and women... not too dissimilar... the high end expensive ones usually fail to satisfy.

Sometimes you're better off geting one that's a little worn in, maybe even a little dirty, one that's "been around" to get what you need.

....yeah...:43:

JoeinLA
09-19-2011, 8:38 PM
Fwiw, i tried a nighthawk custom at my local range, not knowing it was a "high end" gun. I also tried a cheaper Kimber an an even cheaper Springfield and for whatever unknown reason, i liked the cheaper 1911's better. Then i got a Wilson Combat. Its really a pretty awesome peice of hardware, and i'm really, REALLY, REALLY enjoying it. I would suggest that you keep looking. I'm sure you'll find THE 1911 for you. The platform is so varied that i'm sure you'll find one you like, whether its an RIA or some WWI original or some other "high end" 1911. I dont think that "high end" necessarily translates into "the best FOR YOU".

CK_32
09-19-2011, 8:50 PM
You don't get 1911's to shoot small groups though shooting smaller groups IS usually a byproduct for most people....you get them because it's one of the best shooting guns out there: and I don't mean purely accuracy wise. The trigger, sights, bore axis, grip thickness, grip angle, aesthetics, reliability etc all come together to give you one hell of a gun.....for me, it's as good as it gets. That's why I shoot one. Toss in the fact that out of autopistols, 1911's are pretty much at the peak of mechanical accuracy (think Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson etc......NOT Rock Island, Citadel :p).

Saying you want a 1911 purely to shoot small groups is like saying you want a Porche Carerra to drive fast.....you can spend half as much on a Corvette if you just want to drive fast. You get a Porche because you WANT a Porche and you appreciate it for what it is :D

Oh I thought all of the hype was because they shot small groups... :facepalm: Ma bad lol

And the reason everyone talked about all the egos is because it contributed to them being more accurate because it fit in your hand. I've been looking at them all wrong.

Still just want one because they are pretty. Id dont see them more as cars in the speed you mentioned. More as a pen as weird as that sounds. You can get a bic and just wright or you can get a custom pen and have it look pretty and it shoots like butter. And the inks nicer :D

skosh69
09-19-2011, 9:56 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/skosh1/catpopcorn.gif

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but to the OP, are you basing your opinion of the Nighthawk 1911 or other high end 1911's on only your two rentals?
Do you have other experience with the 1911 platform? They take some getting used to. Just asking.

I can hold my own with my Kimber or any other 1911, but when I've picked up my friends SA XD 40 or Beretta 92 FS, I couldn't hit squat with them.

My point is you have to "learn" the characteristic of each type of gun. They all have their own personalities and we as shooters, need to take the time to learn them. I wish I had the ability to just pick up a gun and shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yds everytime, but here in the real world, that's just not going to happen.

Good luck.

By the way, it's Porsche Carrera....