PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good affordable holster for Glock 17?

CK_32
09-17-2011, 11:14 PM
So I'm looking for a good affordable Glock 17 open carry (For competition/carbine classes) belt (serpa, I think) holster??

I Googled this and found a ton of high end high priced holsters and thats not what I'm looking for. I just want a simple affordable durable holster and mag belt holders USPSA/GSSF compliant.

I was told look at black hawk but know some of their products are kinda flop and some are really decent products.. What would you guys recommend?

Price range around $30 to $60 looking to save as much as possible with out having to go buy a new one in a few years because it cant handle some decent use and abuse.

hammer
09-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I really like blade tech. I've been using their stuff for years. Great retention. Durable.

sti2011
09-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Blackhawk serpa is good.

tacticalcity
09-18-2011, 12:10 AM
The Sherpa without the push button is great. I run one myself. The version with the push button has led to some NDs and is actually not allowed at a lot of schools.

You want straight drop, no cant, kydex with no retention device for your first course. After that, if you want to get fancy go for it. At least you'll know what effect it will have on your training and abilities.

The one is the picture below is the Blackhawk Sherpa without the retention device.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20Glocks/GLOCK_SETUP.jpg

Uncle Mikes makes a similar holster for less money. Works just as well but puts the gun just a little bit further out from your body. Not a big deal for a training or duty holster. Kind of big deal for a concealment holster. But neither qualify as a good concealment holster. Concealment holsters are so close to the body they are difficult to train with during an 8 hour or longer course. You end up scraping the heck out your side.

If you want to spend some real money go BladeTech. But to be honest, all the above work pretty much the same and will be great for your course and for competition. So for the first one, there is no need to go nuts.

My holster for my Glock 19 was from BladeTech. Everthing on the belt in the picture below is BladeTech. My current 1911 holster is a BladeTech. Again, there is not much difference except the BladeTech cost more. Their retention push button hood holsters for SWAT teams are amazing compared to the less expensive brands, but for an entry level straight drop holster the less expensive brands hold their own.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20Glocks/IMG_0587.jpg

TIP: You will want to make minor adjustments to the tension with a screw driver to the tension screw in the back. You want is just tight enough that you can shake it upside down and the UNLOADED gun does not slip/fall out. But not so tight the gun catches when drawing.

Dhena81
09-18-2011, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't get a Serpa unless you remove the button like Tacticalcity they can jam up if debris gets in them too. You simply don't need that level of retention anyways if you want to get into serious competition. I would imagine what you would want to use for a fighting class and competition would be two different things. With that said you also have to look at how big your winning ego is let me explain this might sound kind of crazy.

I think competition can create scars in real world shootings now I know your not carrying a gun for a living. But know that from what I have witnessed (I could be wrong) and know about competition is it is all about speed and accuracy. Well that sounds good right well it is kind of I believe train like you fight in comp you may find doing things you won't do in a fighting class. I'm going to stop there because competition looks like lots of fun and I don't want to drag this out anymore without sounding to nutty or writing a short story.

Check out Bravoconcealment they use thicker kydex than RavenC are cheaper and there isn't a 4 month wait. I don't have one of their holsters I read some great reviews about them I do have a couple of Raven holsters. I'm going to get a G17 and 1911 holster from BC next week with a 0 cant I don't like a holster with a cant on my right hip to much wasted movement IMO.

Garand1911
09-18-2011, 1:08 AM
Check out 5.11 thumbdrive holsters. Made by bladetech, tested by v-tac, check it out on youtube.
I just got one and its nice. Or maybe galco matrix line.

Anchors
09-18-2011, 5:21 AM
I also don't trust the button on those. I don't really like buttons, thumb breaks, etc. I just like some kydex or leather with good retention and nothing else holding it in there. Personal preference. I didn't know they made them with no button though, so that would be a good option.

These are like $100, but they're pretty sweet.
http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products/gideon.htm

Dale Fricke - Gideon Elite
http://www.urbantac.com/prodimages/gideonsm.gif

Otherwise, the Blackhawks look good to go too for cheaper.
All my current holsters are IWB, but Blackhawk makes great products for the price.

Norcal Industries
09-18-2011, 5:34 AM
i like the uncle mikes too. not good for ltc like he said, but good for competition/target shooting.

zfields
09-18-2011, 7:43 AM
Cant stand my sepra holster. Switched over to Safariland holsters and love them. Blade tech is a very good way to go also.

Ive been using a cheapy uncle mikes for my XD for a while, not bad for the price, but the lack of adjustability is kind of lame.

Just be ready to buy a few diff holsters to find one that works well for you.

HighLander51
09-18-2011, 7:44 AM
Save your money that you would have spent on a $100 holster, and get good sights. Either fiber optic front or black on black.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHT+SETS:Glock+Sight +Sets

Then, get your Blade Tech injection molded straight drop holster, about $22

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=651948

easy on and off, 2 adjustment screws, good all around holster for the price.

I have been running Blade Techs since 1998, back when they were hand made from laminate.

Fobus double mag pouch, about $20. You will want at least 2 for USPSA

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=739480

And a Wilderness Tactical Original Instructors belt, about $45,

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2309&parent=142

If you have any money left, get the Peltor Tac 6 electric ears, about $60, then you are completely set for any competition, USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge/GSSF and local action matches.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97043-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B0000X6I5I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316357570&sr=8-2

HighLander51
09-18-2011, 8:03 AM
I think competition can create scars in real world shootings now I know your not carrying a gun for a living. But know that from what I have witnessed (I could be wrong) and know about competition is it is all about speed and accuracy. Well that sounds good right well it is kind of I believe train like you fight in comp you may find doing things you won't do in a fighting class. I'm going to stop there because competition looks like lots of fun and I don't want to drag this out anymore without sounding to nutty or writing a short story.

Well, the ability to shoot very quickly and very accurately is what keeps you alive, and you learn how to do that in competition. Everything in competition translates to 'real world', not just shoot shooting super fast with awesome hits, but especially movement. Why would you want to shoot slower and less accurately than your opponent? Here is my kid shooting USPSA from concealment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwjpcSZ6QA

zfields
09-18-2011, 8:13 AM
Fobus double mag pouch, about $20. You will want at least 2 for USPSA

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=739480

Cant stand the fobus mag holsters. Plenty others out there for about the same price. Just so cheesy feeling.

HighLander51
09-18-2011, 8:20 AM
Plenty others out there for about the same price. Which ones?

I run Blade Tech singles myself, but the kid wants to save some bucks. Lots of guys drill out the rivets and put screws in the center, makes them easier to use.

vintagearms
09-18-2011, 8:22 AM
I use the same Blackhawk holster as TacticalCity. Its the CQB model he and I both use. It has worked well for me in classes/range. Funny, he and I carry the same knife as well...

zfields
09-18-2011, 8:24 AM
Plenty others out there for about the same price. Which ones?

I run Blade Tech singles myself, but the kid wants to save some bucks. Lots of guys drill out the rivets and put screws in the center, makes them easier to use.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS419US419&q=blackhawk+double+mag+holster&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17916765322477750913&sa=X&ei=eAx2Ts_hGcqvsALW573XCw&ved=0CGgQ8gIwAw

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-double-mag-case-double-stack-410610cbk.html

I have a couple made by RSR defence (which is part of fobus from what I hear, but different design/style) that I picked up for right about 25 bucks also.

Bladetechs double mag holsters are about 27 bucks also. Or get the IDPA pack with holster+1 mag pouch then one more separate.

etc.

For the Holster....I hate you glock guys, so much cheaper then picking stuff up for CZs.

evidens83
09-18-2011, 8:49 AM
Glock Sport/Combat holster :D

Rides high and tight. Does the job for me.

ZombieTactics
09-18-2011, 9:00 AM
I am presently testing these for the manufacturer:

-gJbWbqBR9w

CK_32
09-18-2011, 9:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

So there is hipsters out there with no buttons. I'm also not a fan I want a simple pull up drop in system but I don't want tension if in the stress of the course it gets stuck or something. And I don't want to have to drill out or break off the button lock. I know as in the video above it's a "training issue" but I don't feel like making that training mistake. Especially being a full out beginner to this stress speed stuff.

Zombie about how much arethose expected to cost? And what do youguys think about that mechanism for what I'm looking to do? Yay or nay or neutral? I see potential draw backs but potential strengths in that design with speed trying to work that system. But again I've never done it so it's just my mind over thinking any problem I could think of going wrong.

CK_32
09-18-2011, 9:55 AM
Check out 5.11 thumbdrive holsters. Made by bladetech, tested by v-tac, check it out on youtube.
I just got one and its nice. Or maybe galco matrix line.

And I'll take that video with a grain of salt. That seems a little more like a promo selling video than it does a actual review of the holster. Another option tho. Not sure about how I feel about the thumb release.

locosway
09-18-2011, 11:11 AM
So I'm looking for a good affordable Glock 17 open carry (For competition/carbine classes) belt (serpa, I think) holster??

I Googled this and found a ton of high end high priced holsters and thats not what I'm looking for. I just want a simple affordable durable holster and mag belt holders USPSA/GSSF compliant.

I was told look at black hawk but know some of their products are kinda flop and some are really decent products.. What would you guys recommend?

Price range around $30 to $60 looking to save as much as possible with out having to go buy a new one in a few years because it cant handle some decent use and abuse.

I like the Blackhawk line myself. I have a SERPA which is level 2 retention, and a Standard, which is level 1 retention. If you're just going for casual stuff, the Standard holster can't be beat. If you're worried about falling off a bike, while hiking, or you'll be running and diving in a class, then you may want the SERPA.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Standard-CQC-Concealment-Holster-Matte,1142,32.htm

locosway
09-18-2011, 11:14 AM

So there is hipsters out there with no buttons. I'm also not a fan I want a simple pull up drop in system but I don't want tension if in the stress of the course it gets stuck or something. And I don't want to have to drill out or break off the button lock. I know as in the video above it's a "training issue" but I don't feel like making that training mistake. Especially being a full out beginner to this stress speed stuff.

Zombie about how much arethose expected to cost? And what do youguys think about that mechanism for what I'm looking to do? Yay or nay or neutral? I see potential draw backs but potential strengths in that design with speed trying to work that system. But again I've never done it so it's just my mind over thinking any problem I could think of going wrong.

Get the one I just linked. As for the training issue, if you're going so fast that you don't know where your fingers are going, it really won't matter what holster you have, you're going to shoot yourself or someone else. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Slow down, pay attention to what you're doing. Get to the gun quick, and then slow down and worry about presenting it properly.

Do a lot of practice with snap caps or dry, this will help a lot.

CK_32
09-18-2011, 1:05 PM
Yea im not sure what he has us doing. I think it's just like magpul dynamics and just laying down and standing up shooting no rolling around or full on sprints.

But I think zombie tactics is going to let me try his out and I may go get a black hawk and compare them side to side. But the one he shows in the video looks pretty cool. Can't wait to try it.

Anchors
09-18-2011, 1:14 PM
Then, get your Blade Tech injection molded straight drop holster, about $22

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=651948

I might have to get one of those myself. That is a really good deal.

CK_32
09-18-2011, 1:18 PM
Will those hold a 17??

zfields
09-18-2011, 1:26 PM
yes

kln5
09-18-2011, 1:39 PM
I have been using a talon tactical holster. I like it better than the serpa. I used the serpa for 6 to 8 months. The serpa is good for range use but not much as far as concealment. With the talon holster I get both.

www.talontactical.com/

NiteQwill
09-18-2011, 1:42 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Comp-tac. Their products and service
are top notch and you get what you pay for.

Dhena81
09-18-2011, 1:44 PM
Well, the ability to shoot very quickly and very accurately is what keeps you alive, and you learn how to do that in competition. Everything in competition translates to 'real world', not just shoot shooting super fast with awesome hits, but especially movement. Why would you want to shoot slower and less accurately than your opponent? Here is my kid shooting USPSA from concealment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwjpcSZ6QA

That seems like a lot of fun and some good shooting on your sons part I see what your saying. I'm talking more about some of the holsters and guns you see in competition aren't fighting guns. I'm not trying to sound like a chairborne ranger but as of right now almost all the firearms I look at the first thing I consider before buying it is for a self defense application. I don't know much about competitions I know there are all kinds of different rule sets I'm probably wrong in my thinking to some degree and I'll admit that. I guess what I'm trying to say is it is hard to find anything that will do everything really well vs finding something that is specific for a certain application like a speed holster ect.

zfields
09-18-2011, 1:45 PM
That seems like a lot of fun and some good shooting on your sons part I see what your saying. I'm talking more about some of the holsters and guns you see in competition aren't fighting guns. I'm not trying to sound like a chairborne ranger but as of right now almost all the firearms I look at the first thing I consider before buying it is for a self defense application. I don't know much about competitions I know there are all kinds of different rule sets I'm probably wrong in my thinking to some degree and I'll admit that. I guess what I'm trying to say is it is hard to find anything that will do everything really well vs finding something that is specific for a certain application like a speed holster ect.

I feel the same way about Limited/Open classes.

Production and IDPA tend to use a bit more....realistic equipment. But either way, action shooting is what you make it.

DaveFJ80
09-18-2011, 1:50 PM
After having used Fobus, Serpa, Safari, Blade-Tech, and Galco on my Glock 19, I really like and trust using a custom fit Kydex holster now.

That way I can get my belt loop size exactly where I want it so the holster will not wobble or move on me. Also, I can set the cant to where I want it to be. I actually have 2 kydex holsters for my G19, one with my TLR-1s and one without (fits my G26 perfectly). Plus, it the most compact and close to my body compared to the others. Better that way so my arm doesn't keep hitting it when I walk or run.

Like most things, you can end up spending quite a bit of money trying different things out until you find something that best works for you.

CK_32
09-18-2011, 4:00 PM
Yea I have a feeling this isn't going to bs my only holster purchase :D

HighLander51
09-18-2011, 4:11 PM
Yea I have a feeling this isn't going to bs my only holster purchase :D

That's right, so like I said, get the $22 Blade Tech. You do not want a retention holster for competition.

HighLander51
09-18-2011, 4:22 PM
Dhena81, I guess what I'm trying to say is it is hard to find anything that will do everything really well vs finding something that is specific for a certain application like a speed holster ect.

For IDPA, I use my stock G17 in a FIST K1 Universal IWB holster under a Hawaiian cotton shirt, same way I carry.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image33603.jpg

For USPSA Production, I use another G17 with fiber optic sights, 3.5lb connector and a G21 mag release, in a straight drop Blade Tech

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image33598.jpg

For USPSA Open/Limited/3 Gun and Steel Challenge, I use one of these 3 Glocks, in straight drop Blade Tech holster also.

Open
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34614.jpg

Limited
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34875.jpg

tacticalcity
09-18-2011, 6:32 PM

The point some people are missing, and shouldn't because I posted a picture of it, is that BlackHawk makes several different versions of the Sherpa. The version I own, and recommend doesn't come with a button. So you don't have to remove anything. You just have to buy the correct one. I'm not advocating this over the other options I mentioned. I think they all do a good job. I just wanted to clarify the point.

As for adjusting the tension so it won't just fall out but also won't snag during a course. It has a screw on the back that tighten. 1 or 2, can't remember. But works really well. My BladeTech for my 1911 works the same way. Here is my 1911 BladeTech holster.

Yes, I realize I accidentally put the magazines into the pouch backwards by mistake. it is different when they are on your belt and on a table infront of you. I didn't think about it. I just did it by mistake in my rush to get the picture taken.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%201911s/1911_SETUP.jpg

tacticalcity
09-18-2011, 6:42 PM
I like the Blackhawk line myself. I have a SERPA which is level 2 retention, and a Standard, which is level 1 retention. If you're just going for casual stuff, the Standard holster can't be beat. If you're worried about falling off a bike, while hiking, or you'll be running and diving in a class, then you may want the SERPA.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Standard-CQC-Concealment-Holster-Matte,1142,32.htm

I'm actually selling off that Benchmade Griptillian Knife about 1/2 the cost of new if ya want a second one. Served me well as a carry knife for years. Recently bought a spring assist knife and now I carry it all the time. The metal clip is a little loose on the Griptillian. The holes on the side I prefer have worn out a little. Still a great knife. Functions flawlessly. I'm just in a spring cleaning mood. Unloading all kinds of gear.

CK_32
09-18-2011, 6:48 PM
Yea I'm defiantly either going to go blade tech or black hawk. I'm probably going to go with either which ever one is cheaper because they both look like they work about the same. And I will defiantly not bs getting one with a release button. Im not a fan of that unless I'd be doing a course run or something crazy even then I feel like the tension bolsters would do the job.

Again thanks for all of the replies and help guys. I really appreciate it.

zfields
09-18-2011, 7:51 PM
22 bucks for a bladetech is smokin.

lawaia
09-18-2011, 8:08 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Comp-tac. Their products and service
are top notch and you get what you pay for.

Yuuuuup! Comp-Tac is good stuff.

The DRis
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I shoot USPSA to get better with my gun and my equipment. I'm also of the opinion that you should shoot with what you plan on using. So I have my SHTF rig for my XD with a BlackHawk SERPA LVL2. I have shot with this holster for 5 years now in competitions, at the desert, and the range with no issues. Countless draws and reholsters.

I wanted retention because I don't want my gun falling out if I have to scale a wall or tree or trip and fall.

Original Phantom
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Yea I'm defiantly either going to go blade tech or black hawk...

I would definitely suggest Bladetech. I have tried a wide range of holsters including both brands and Bladetech is certainly the better of the two in my opinion.

Sturnovik
09-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I love my blackhawks. I have a Sig and Glock one. Never had problems, button never messes up ever. But I have heard good things about Bladetech.