PDA

View Full Version : Single shot exemption on a Lever Action???

32blownhemi
09-17-2011, 7:00 PM
Hello, I like the lever action pistols & would like to have one. Of course they aren't on the California approved list. Is there anyone who could/would single shot these? Or would that not work for something that doesn't have a magazine? Thanks, Bill

ps, this doesn't apply to my post r/e .22 cal lever actions... I'd want a center fire pistol...

gatesbox
09-17-2011, 7:14 PM
I have never thought about this, but seems like if you just took out the follower and tube spring and replaced with a dowl of the correct length it would be a single shot.....can't wait to hear a good answer on this one.....are you thinking like a Rossi ranch hand?

gatesbox
09-17-2011, 7:18 PM
This thread also.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=315405

Sounds like PRK claimed they would do a single shot on this, prob for some mark up....

Andy Taylor
09-17-2011, 7:42 PM
Hello, I like the lever action pistols & would like to have one. Of course they aren't on the California approved list. Is there anyone who could/would single shot these? Or would that not work for something that doesn't have a magazine? Thanks, Bill

ps, this doesn't apply to my post r/e .22 cal lever actions... I'd want a center fire pistol...

It does have a magazine. I fixed, tubular magazine, not a detatchable box magazine, but still a magazine. And yes, SS exemption will work for it.

32blownhemi
09-26-2011, 2:26 PM
Thank You Gatesbox & Andy, Thanks for the info. With your info I found a way to get it done & a place that had 2 in stock. BUT, I dilly dally-ed around & they sold :(... Ya got to be quick on these!!! Bill

AragornElessar86
09-26-2011, 2:35 PM
Can this not be done under an AOW? Also, wouldn't a lever action pistol count as single action and therefore be exempt? Or is the single action exemption only for revolvers?

1JimMarch
09-27-2011, 11:29 AM
The SA handgun exception is for revolvers only. But yeah, the Ranch Hand or similar pre-manufactured-as-a-handgun levers can be easily single-shotted with a piece of wood in the mag tube :).

There's nothing inherently Cali-banned about a lever handgun, as long as it's not a chopped-down rifle of course :).

ke6guj
09-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Can this not be done under an AOW? yes you could, but there is no AOW exemption to the roster.

Also, wouldn't a lever action pistol count as single action and therefore be exempt? Or is the single action exemption only for revolvers?

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

A single-action lever-action is not a single-action revolver.

AragornElessar86
09-30-2011, 9:45 PM
yes you could, but there is no AOW exemption to the roster.

Confused. I thought that's how the black rifle guys got away with AR pistols.

ke6guj
09-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Confused. I thought that's how the black rifle guys got away with AR pistols.

your standard CA-legal AR-pistol is not an AOW. That is not to say that you can't turn an CA-legal AR-pistol into a CA-legal AOW, you can.

CA-legal AR pistols are legal in CA because they do not have a detachable magazine. They can be sold by a dealer in CA while they are in a dimensionally-compliant single-shot configuration.

AragornElessar86
10-01-2011, 9:09 AM
your standard CA-legal AR-pistol is not an AOW. That is not to say that you can't turn an CA-legal AR-pistol into a CA-legal AOW, you can.

CA-legal AR pistols are legal in CA because they do not have a detachable magazine. They can be sold by a dealer in CA while they are in a dimensionally-compliant single-shot configuration.

Ah, I see. Thanks.