PDA

View Full Version : Is your spouse a shooter?

Socalman
09-17-2011, 6:35 PM
Well the wife lost her virginity (gun wise!) today. She had never even fired a BB gun in her life. Water gun, yes. I took her to the Big Bear Sportsmans range and she ended up shooting about 120 rounds from my 10/22. She also fired my GP 100 with .38 six times, five in SA and one DA.

This is from a woman who is closer to senior discounts than the legal drinking age.

Just wondering how you got your spouse to join you at the range and how often?

Ripon83
09-17-2011, 6:48 PM
Mine shoots more then me.

sevensix2x51
09-17-2011, 6:51 PM
I am not allowed to sell my Savage 93r17, because apparently, it isn't mine anymore.

lulz.

I just got her into archery also, you would be amazed how hard it is to find a recurve with a less than 20# draw weight, that isn't a complete piece of garbage.

ThortheDog
09-17-2011, 7:00 PM
My wife did not shoot because of arthritis (hands and shoulders). Then I bought a Ruger 22/45 this Spring and took her to the range with me. She now refers to the Ruger as "my gun." Often shoots tighter groups with it than I do.

jww
09-17-2011, 7:07 PM
Took my wife out for the first time today.

She was never a big fan of guns and didnt even really care to see them in the house. It really surprised me when she suggested going with me today.

She shot .22-.45 but spent most of her time with the 795. I need to find a red dot for it.

shadow65
09-17-2011, 7:07 PM
Mine used to be.

Fastattack
09-17-2011, 7:37 PM
My wife's dad and brother both shot so it was a shoe-in. She loves it.

DannyInSoCal
09-17-2011, 7:39 PM
My wife has started to ask about a .223 upper to replace her .22L

Khanan
09-17-2011, 7:52 PM
Spouse?

You mean that person that used to use all my ammo money to buy purses and shoes? Nope, she doesn't shoot and in fact is probably spending someone's ammo money as I type this; I'm just glad it is no longer my ammo money she is spending.

Senna
09-17-2011, 8:03 PM
My wife shoots. She shoots everything, 22, 9mm, 40 cal, 1911, AR, slugs out of a 18" shotgun and clays. :cool:

Curtis
09-17-2011, 8:25 PM
My wife went shooting with me for the first time about a month ago. She fired my XD40, my buddy's Colt Python, and my Benelli. She enjoyed it, but it was a little nervous.

johnthomas
09-17-2011, 8:45 PM
My wife is a shooter, she hasn't been shooting since her last bout with cancer. She is ready to go out again. I need to get her a revolver, it is difficult for her to rack any of my pistols. She wants to be more proficient with her 12 gauge pump. When she was first learning, she would watch me, and ask questions, the first was, will it hurt my shoulder?
I never lied to her. She likes my son's AR, my cz82 and the 9mm Glock.
When teaching your wife, don't let her make mistakes that will hurt her. Scope too close to her eye, don't hold a 45 colt revolver like you hold a 45 1911 or vice versa.
Shotgun or any high powered long gun not shouldered properly. Pay close attention to her stance, her aim and proper way to hold the weapon.

pigncat
09-17-2011, 9:58 PM
My wife was hesitated on shooting because she was afraid of the recoil and loud noise. Took her down to Los Altos and let her shoot my Walther P22. She loved it and not afraid anymore. Going to get her a Umarex MP5 22LR at the gun show.

Akers
09-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Wife claims to not like guns until we get to the range. She is a great shot with all my guns including the .45 and the .40.

Sgt. J Beezy
09-17-2011, 10:12 PM
I took my wife twice and she was too hesitant to shoot, then i took her to the Secret Zombie Shoot and she warmed up with my M&P 9mm. She got bored with that and moved onto my AR, neighbors Ak and mosin, other neighbors Siaga 308, shot a couple hundred rounds of SantaMonica9 M&P 22lr, mi buddies Remmington 870 12, and finishes with my 1945 Winchester M70 30-06. We are heading to Lytle Creek tomorrow to get some more time in and now she is talking about wanting an Ak.

Which is good because that was next on my "must get" list.

After that I must convince her that she wants a kimber custom II.

goofcat
09-17-2011, 11:18 PM
"Oh not much at all" she would say.

Took her to Angeles today. Went to the rifle side to zero a new scope. When I came back, she already shot through half the ammo!

Then she took the newly scoped rifle from me, shot a couple of hundred rounds and declared that she likes HER new rifle!

I think I created a monster! Shoes and purses are cheaper than ammo!

p0ppyman
09-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Mine not yet but she wants to go to the range with me now that I have an 22/45 and will be getting my (our) 10/22 out of jail on Sept 21st .. one thing about her, when she starts doing something and likes it she invests the time to do it well .. I hope it clicks with her because I enjoy her company ..

jyo
09-18-2011, 12:08 AM
My wife goes to the range with me several times a year---she has three guns of her own---a little Walther TPH 22, a Ruger Security Six 4" and the gun she really concentrates on; her Kahr CW9. She also spends a lot of time with my old Remington Nylon 66 in 22lr.

langss
09-18-2011, 9:42 AM
My wife likes to shoot, and just about anything. Problem is usually time. She has a lot going on. But the next time I go out I know she will be coming along.

killathrilla
09-18-2011, 9:49 AM

i_saw_americans_fighting
09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
My wife is making me buy her a revolver when I come home on R&R. She first got into shooting after I bought her a Sig Mosquito with a pink lower for her b-day. For any of you having trouble getting your wife to shoot, I highly recommend something girly in a small caliber.... lol

TheDeej
09-18-2011, 10:19 AM
My wife started with my .22 AR upper. It's now "hers". She has tried 9mm,
.45ACP and .308 but I think her main preference was my buddies .22lr bolt-action savage. She's a big fan of the bolt guns.

Kodemonkey
09-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Wife shoots IDPA with me as much as she can (when we can get a babysitter). She is slated to go to the front sight 4 day class in the spring. She's a good shot, hasn't won any matches at IDPA yet, but she is moving up the list. She outscored 5 other people last meet but still running the rear of the pack.

microwaveguy
09-18-2011, 10:55 AM
My wife learned to shoot a 1911 at 8 years old from her grandfather. Once he died when she was 12, she stopped shooting ............. fast forward too 2008 and out of the blue she says she wants a handgun :eek:

Neither of us had shot in years ( 30+) so it really has been a wonderful re-acquaintance to shooting. We both went out at the end of July with my new birthday present (22/45 bull barrel ) and it was a real challenge to get it away from her :43: i had to promise to get her one of her own. :D

grossekatz
09-18-2011, 11:05 AM
My fiancee really enjoys the m1 garand I have, she probably has more rounds through it then I do. Recently I picked up a HK93 clone, that's her new favorite because its so cheap to shoot.

cudakidd
09-18-2011, 11:17 AM
My wife/best friend shoots everything with me! Upland hunting, Cowboy Action Shooting, Sporting Clays, Bianchi cup...has all her own guns as well...

Manolito
09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
My wife has a CCW and I have fewer guns than I had before. She just requalified for her two year renewal and out shot all the males in her class. I know better than to shoot against her.

yuccales
09-18-2011, 11:52 AM
My wife is a darn good shot. She is my best shooting buddy, and I'm real proud of her! The GP is her newest toy.

Eljay
09-18-2011, 2:34 PM
Mine's a decent shot. Mostly with .22s, and usually in no rush. Give her a Ruger Single Six and a box of MiniMags and she's all set.

JAGACIDA
09-18-2011, 3:10 PM
My wife owns several of her own, shoots everything but the .44, has her carry permit.

chesterthehero
09-18-2011, 4:56 PM
yep.. these last few months shes been shooting a lot more than i have..

MrPlink
09-20-2011, 4:23 AM
my wife doesent exist...
:D
http://www.victorvitaliano.com/alltimegreatestonline/100songs/nowomannocry.jpg

Milsurps
09-20-2011, 5:09 AM
Mine shoots more then me.

Mine has more Guns* than me. ;)

* How many Mosins does one person need ?

BrianRodela
09-20-2011, 6:53 AM
Nabbed one for myself also, lost a couple weapons in the process too!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/coastermek/1.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/coastermek/Shooting41111_0700.jpg

melodybliss
09-20-2011, 9:19 AM
Hrm.

I own all but one firearm in the house. :) My husband didn't shoot until he met me. :)

But I grew up with it.

We took most of it to the range on Sunday. Had a friend in town, so it was me, my husband, our friend JJ and our friend Tyler (from SoCal).

JJ brought his .22LR auto. We brought the custom .308, the mini-windrunner (also .308), the AR-15, the Remington 870, the Stoeger coach gun, the S&W model 41 and my Les Baer.

I had slot of guns to clean that night. ;)

All of those are mine except for the Stoeger. :)

Mel

celticstorm
09-20-2011, 9:29 AM
My husband and I have always gone shooting together. Here recently because of the economy he decided to give up playing golf so we could spend that time together at the shooting range. The money he would have spent on green fees goes for ammo. I would rather shoot than play golf anyday.

dls
09-20-2011, 9:44 AM
My wife's not really interested one way or the other.
She'd rather go to lunch with the girls on a Saturday then go out in the brush in the heat or cold to shoot guns with My Dad or a friend and me, I'm cool with it.

Dannicus
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
My wife's been shooting longer than I have. At around 13 years old, she filled in with her dad as his hunting partner after her big brother joined the army. She was always into shotguns, but recently she's expressed an interest in handguns and CCW. She picked up her first handgun last month; a Kimber Ultra Carry II.

laika
09-20-2011, 8:49 PM
One of the things my husband and I enjoy - kid out of the house, getting older - is Sundays at the range or out at the BLM shooting sites in our area.

He thinks I have too many firearms but I notice he is always happy to see me stay interested in shooting. We enjoy even cleaning guns together. And I notice he shops more than I do! Always a UPS driver at the door or another new toy spending DROS jailtime.

He even loves my milsurps. After all these years that has to be love:)

Sonnypie
09-21-2011, 4:31 PM
Well, no actually.
She did shoot some when she was younger.
But that all changed when her Mother's boyfriend murdered her Mother, then took his own head off with a 44 mag, in 1987. :eek:
She is tolerant. And she is very understanding. And she doesn't mind me shooting or teaching the Grand Kids to shoot.
But... she isn't really interested in shooting.
Some things are a bit harder to get over.

Kodachrome
09-22-2011, 6:17 PM
Mine goes whenever I go to the range. She shoots just about anything we own.
She has her favorites, heck I bought a Desert Eagle (44) because she wanted one.
Ain't life grand!

Gryff
09-22-2011, 6:31 PM
Mine grew up shooting occasioanlly. We would shoot together after we married, but out-of-the-blue she decided one day that she wanted to shoot competition with me. Very cool!

a1c
09-22-2011, 7:23 PM
Hell, she's the one who got me into guns!

Now I owe a lot more guns than she does, and shoot a lot more too.

For Xmas I'm getting her a nice lightweight upper (and some more womanly things, obviously... :D)

bsg
09-24-2011, 4:06 AM
when i was married... no, she was not a shooter.

regalado1
09-24-2011, 5:29 AM
My wife wasn't before me, but now she is a member of a private range, NRA certified pistol instructor and Range Safety Officer. Not ashamed to admit she is a better shot than I am...Okay, maybe a little but. ha.

Trying in imbed and image, but I'm a ra-tard this AM. any help?

regalado1
09-24-2011, 6:15 AM
Here is my wife doing her thing at her range with her favorite...92fs.

bsg
09-24-2011, 7:18 AM
Here is my wife doing her thing at her range with her favorite...92fs.

there ya go; shoot together, stay together. so nice that the two of you can have a mutual appreciation for something that matters to both of you.

therealsundance
09-24-2011, 7:47 AM
My wife used to tell me that she owned a gun but when I asked her where it was, her answer was always the same, "In my dad's safe." (300 miles away)

"So, you don't actually own a gun then." The secret plotting began.

After a great day at Insight, she said, "I like the .45 (XD) best," and I was cruising a local pawn shop shortly thereafter and found an XD45 with all the goodies at a decent price and in great shape. She doesn't use the holster or mag carriers but she loves the magloader! She's got smaller hands. Said XD45 became the anniversary/birthday/Christmas gift that year.

My wife likes the hostage paper targets to finish off the shooting day when we go. That bearded guy with the gun doesn't stand a chance and the hostage gets to go home.

This year's Anniversary will be a an AR, Duracoated the pretty camo colors to match one of favorite tops. Hers is my first build. When I was at Riflegear picking up my lower she had that jealous-kid look on her face that said, "I want one, too!" So I got a JD Tech and she got an Aero Precision.

mjmagee67
09-24-2011, 8:20 AM
Yea the Whiff shoots, it all started when we went to New Mexico to visit my father, we went out into the desert plinking~~~all down hill from there. She loved shooting my Ruger MKII and Marlin 39A. She wanted to get her own 22 pistol, I convinced her to try a "real" gun, she didn't like the 40 much and hated the 45 both had too much kick. I ended up getting her a Glock 19 and that worked well, now she wants to get a 9mm 1911 and she feels more comfortable shooing my 40. She also picked up a very nice Marlin 1894C in 38/357 she likes the lever action and she picked up a pink Sig Mosquito too. Plus she helps me reload!

bsg
09-24-2011, 8:21 AM
Well the wife lost her virginity (gun wise!) today. She had never even fired a BB gun in her life. Water gun, yes. I took her to the Big Bear Sportsmans range and she ended up shooting about 120 rounds from my 10/22. She also fired my GP 100 with .38 six times, five in SA and one DA.

This is from a woman who is closer to senior discounts than the legal drinking age.

Just wondering how you got your spouse to join you at the range and how often?

congratulations to you and your wife!

dangerranger
09-24-2011, 8:43 AM
My wife can shoot but doesnt enjoy it. I kind of wish she did. But after 25 years together Ive gotten used to it. DR

ConfucianScholar
09-24-2011, 9:25 AM
My wife has a G19 a R10/22 and a lever action 357M.

ckprax
09-24-2011, 9:33 AM
I introduced my wife to shooting when we were dating. Now she comes along on nearly all of my range trips and has taken claim of my S&W 686. She started with 22s but now they don't kick hard enough :) I love that she likes to shoot, now I need to reload because she likes to shoot the expensive ammo and lot's of it!

okglockman
09-24-2011, 9:35 AM
my wife carries for self defense, but not big on shooting hundreds of rounds at the range....nor will you catch her in the woods

BigStiCK
09-24-2011, 9:49 AM
:facepalm:Damn, I wish I took pics last time we were at the range. She looked Damn Sexy with my Kimber. Great form to!
I think thats why I married her, because of her Great form.

pbsmind
09-24-2011, 7:43 PM
Trying to get my wife into shooting. One of her good friends first date with her now husband was at the shooting range, and her other friends have hit the range. Just haven't had any success with getting her to shoot.

smp89
09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Mine shoots, she wasn't into firearms before we met. She enjoys her 9mm's (XD/Glock). She will not shoot a rifle though.

Ubermcoupe
09-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Not really, but I am working on her :)
http://i.imgur.com/LLLL.jpg

LDSGJimbo
09-25-2011, 1:49 PM
"Guns are scary"
"Why?"
"Because it might shoot"
"yeah if I pull the trigger"
"well you might"
"So your not coming to the range?"
"No."

Packy14
09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
haha.. ya, the gf used to only like .22 but now she says "oh, I wanna shoot the bigger ones, the .22 is to easy, its like a toy". Then she grabs my 9mm Sig or my real AR... I wanted her to shoot the .22 AR most of the time because its cheaper!!! now I shoot the .22lr AR and .22lr buckmark so I can afford her shooting all my .223 and 9mm! Her latest trip to the range "when are you buying that reloader so its cheaper so we can shoot more"! What a monster I have created.

Snw500magnum
10-01-2011, 2:16 AM
Took the wife shooting on our 2nd date.
Didn't want to chance falling in love and then find out I had to choose between her and my guns.
She can shoot everything we own.
She shoots pretty good and is very safe.
Bought me a CZ-750 for our 25th Anniversary.
She's a keeper.

Jason P
10-01-2011, 4:49 AM
Mine is an outstanding shot, hates shooting, doesn't really like guns, but loves me:) I know if a BG came in the door while she was here alone though that'd be the last door he went through on his own though, so cheers!

Bobby Ricigliano
10-13-2011, 3:48 AM
She has taken a liking to shooting and I'm bringing her to the Turkey shoot.

adrenaline
10-13-2011, 4:21 AM
^^ She likes to go shooting with my guns (trust me and mines). She doesn't like to go shooting with her dad's guns. She tried shooting her dad's .25 and resulted in a squib.

Her dad has guns but doesn't shoot them as often as mines....or at all really.

maddoggie13
10-13-2011, 8:28 AM
Yes, Yes and Yes...she has more firearms than me.

not-fishing
10-13-2011, 8:43 AM
No :rant:

She play's tennis and spends a small fortune for me on tennis.

She doesn't work because she needs the time to play tennis.

She doesn't cook, clean or do much with the boy because she needs the time to play tennis.

Our son was on the tennis team but he dislikes tennis and doesn't play anymore.

The boy and I both hunt, play paintball which is tough when your 57, he races on the High School Mountain bike racing team (which I ride-coach / mechanic for), we both shoot IDPA and Bullseye along with John C Garand and other rifle matches.

And I hate tennis. :36:

Izzy43
10-13-2011, 9:03 AM
No but she's hellonwheels with a nailgun.

TheExpertish
10-13-2011, 1:27 PM
Mine goes whenever I go to the range. She shoots just about anything we own.
She has her favorites, heck I bought a Desert Eagle (44) because she wanted one.
Ain't life grand!

This is what I am praying for.

"Guns are scary"
"Why?"
"Because it might shoot"
"yeah if I pull the trigger"
"well you might"
"So your not coming to the range?"
"No."

This is the thought process my wife started out with. She wouldn't even let me keep my guns in the house. The graduated to the safe in the garage, and then a wake up call had her insist they be in the house and accessable...yessssss. I took my wife to the range for the first time this past weekend, and she was grouping pretty much as well as me with a .25 pocket Colt while I shot my Colt Detective.

No :rant:

She play's tennis and spends a small fortune for me on tennis.

She doesn't work because she needs the time to play tennis.

She doesn't cook, clean or do much with the boy because she needs the time to play tennis.

Our son was on the tennis team but he dislikes tennis and doesn't play anymore.

The boy and I both hunt, play paintball which is tough when your 57, he races on the High School Mountain bike racing team (which I ride-coach / mechanic for), we both shoot IDPA and Bullseye along with John C Garand and other rifle matches.

And I hate tennis. :36:

I laughed big time on this.

GettoPhilosopher
10-13-2011, 1:33 PM
Mine owns her own Bersa and outshoots me with any handgun. She also views .22 as a toy. ;)

Gonna see how she likes my M16A4 with an ACOG.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Dannicus
10-13-2011, 2:04 PM
A pic of the wife shooting her new Kimber UCII. She has absolutely no interest in shooting my .22s.:rolleyes:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xyEJ9UiHLg8/TpdRw9Y9liI/AAAAAAAAGjg/YogEpHKPwsA/s400/SDC11475.JPG

bplvr
10-15-2011, 10:52 PM
My wife is a fine hand with a 12 ga., a .380 and a 9mm Mak, and a .45 colt SA.She can pick right or left eye shots with her .22 Ruger @ 15 yards.
I think she commands your respect.
If you want to mess with her, please bring your own body bag, as she will not provide one..

ExtremeX
10-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Not my wife yet, but they way she shoots she probably will be soon.

Shes got her own guns, 12 gauge and a 9mm. Loves my AR too, thinking of getting her a AR lower for her own build. I'm thinking SPR here!

I'm happy because she enjoys something I love to do, and when we make those Walmart ammo runs, instead of hearing about ammo cost, I get to hear, "are you sure that's all we need?"

Panchira!
10-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Not yet for me, initially she did not like guns then she comes up to me and asks me to take her to the indoor range. so in a few weekends I'll take her to the indoor range and rent her a .22lr to ease her into shooting. I don't want to scare her off so any tips are welcome (from both men and women welcome). She has no shooting experience. I really hope she like shooting as she is a keeper!

BuckleNose
10-16-2011, 2:31 PM
I found Appleseed. Her first experience was tentative but by the end of the weekend she was an enthusiast. Now she goes shooting at the first hint.

ERdept
10-16-2011, 3:47 PM
My former shoots me down many times.

But I got connected to a hippie girl.

That's the last time I'll do that.

bsg
10-16-2011, 6:22 PM
my girlfriend is not a shooter... but is not anti gun either.

chrisf
10-17-2011, 12:54 AM
I got mine started after about 2 weeks of persuasion. She started with the AR, Then went to the 30-06, Then the next day she says "Hun I want a 45" I was so proud.

Big-Kr3w
10-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I figured my lady would like the challenge of shooting the bullseye everytime and made her a bet, he fav. restraunt if she hits the bullseye so many times with my 10/22, well she won, now she has her own 10/22 & 22/45.

Now shes hooked on my 5.7 and that is an expensive addiction!! But shes Got that on her side of the bed when she sleeps!

Lead Waster
10-18-2011, 1:48 PM
I took my wife out shooting once, with my 9mm. She said it was OK and she'd do it again, but not for a little while. I think it was the recoil.

So now I have a new-to-me 22/45 and I think that might entice her back to the range.

rtpzwms
10-20-2011, 8:27 PM
My wife just told me that we're going to the range this weekend. She told me the same thing last weekend. Her idea of shopping at walmart is in the sporting goods section. She encouraged me to buy a new progressive LNL press. Now she is researching scopes for her new Buck Mark pistol. It just took me 30+ years to get her to this point. :43:

PS she now owns all of the guns and I have to ask permission to shoot them.:eek:

NinetyEight740
10-20-2011, 8:39 PM
Picked up my new xd9 Tuesday and asked her if she was excite to shoot it... Her response "I just wanna shoot that 22" lol

prob
10-20-2011, 8:42 PM
No. Thank goodness.