PDA

View Full Version : JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST HANDGUN!

FullAuto
09-17-2011, 6:24 PM
Hey everyone, finally pulled the trigger and went down and bought myself a new Springfield XD-40..........kind of like a birthday present to myself. I have a good number of long guns, and alot of experience with handguns, but never have had one to call my own. Now I do, hopefully I won't start buying handguns up as fast as I have bought all these rifles, but I couldn't pass up the deal at turners, about 450$ OTD. ;)

BTW, anyone have any ideas on good, cheap ammo to use for this gun? thx

den888
09-17-2011, 6:35 PM
Congrats!

Oceanbob
09-17-2011, 6:37 PM
Congrats..!!!..probably the FIRST of many handguns..!....I like Ammo Brothers in Ontario for bulk Ammo. A nice bunch of people and good service.!

Be well and enjoy your new machine.

Bob
:cool2:

Equis
09-17-2011, 6:39 PM
Congratulations! The XD is solid, my buddy and his wife have XDs, very awesome pistol.

FullAuto
09-18-2011, 10:19 PM
thx guys, just wish I could have walked out of there with it in my hand that day

zfields
09-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Congrats. Great guns.

Make sure you take advantage of the mag promo. XD mags aint cheap.

as for ammo, whatever is cheap will shoot. XD aint picky unless its wadcutters, and I doubt you will find any in .40 anyways : )

ElvenSoul
09-18-2011, 10:29 PM
+1 on getting mags...and congrats!

SIGSHOOTR
09-18-2011, 11:40 PM
CONGRATS!

LouDog
09-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Nice! Need pics.

cebuvfr
09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Congrats!

MrExel17
09-19-2011, 9:16 AM
Sweet, congrats on the XD...post the pictures up when time allows!

anayaphoto
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Awesome!! XD9 was my first pistol, and the one I shoot the most still. Congrats!

15thaf5thbw
09-19-2011, 10:20 AM
This will NOT be the last HG you will buy. You're hooked. You'll just HAVE TO get ...

1. at least one revolver
2. at least one 1911
3. at least one Glock
4. at least one Sig
5. at least one CZ
6. at least one HK
7. at least one ... of everything else out there ...

... and then there are all of the "variants" within each of these Mfg.

Say good-bye to your discretionary income. ;)

I have an XD-45 Tactical. It's my backup CCW. Very nice weapon. Very accurate. Good choice on the 40.

Lancear15
09-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I used to think this way, until I bought a glock, now I'm selling off all other my semi-autos and buying more glocks :43:

This will NOT be the last HG you will buy. You're hooked. You'll just HAVE TO get ...

1. at least one revolver
2. at least one 1911
3. at least one Glock
4. at least one Sig
5. at least one CZ
6. at least one HK

CK_32
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
NICE!! Youll love it.

Look around here some guys sell cheap 1000 round boxes of FMJ plinking stuff for about $160. I bought that for brass so I could start reloading for my 9mm and regret it because it actually ends up being the same price as if I loaded 1000 rounds but with out wasting my time... So now I dont even want to reload it :D

hcbr
09-19-2011, 11:02 AM
congrats! the XD-40 is a sweet gun!

Have fun with her!

J.D.Allen
09-19-2011, 1:09 PM
thx guys, just wish I could have walked out of there with it in my hand that day

Yeah. It sucks to have to wait. I remember those days...

Original Phantom
09-19-2011, 1:17 PM
Congrats...sounds like a good deal! Won't be your last...first of many pistols to be sure!

Baga
09-19-2011, 2:08 PM
Congrats, enjoy, and share some pics if you can...

Jyruiz
09-19-2011, 2:56 PM
Congrats, I love my XD.

iron330
09-19-2011, 3:00 PM
Congrats! Solid choice.

ir0nclash86
09-19-2011, 3:07 PM
Nice. I love xds. Sold my glock to buy one :p

davek8s
09-19-2011, 3:08 PM
Hey everyone, finally pulled the trigger and went down and bought myself a new Springfield XD-40..........kind of like a birthday present to myself. I have a good number of long guns, and alot of experience with handguns, but never have had one to call my own. Now I do, hopefully I won't start buying handguns up as fast as I have bought all these rifles, but I couldn't pass up the deal at turners, about 450$ OTD. ;)

BTW, anyone have any ideas on good, cheap ammo to use for this gun? thx

I always buy myself the best Bday/Xmas gifts. I never let myself down.

someR1
09-19-2011, 3:21 PM

1. at least one revolver
2. at least one 1911
3. at least one Glock
4. at least one Sig
5. at least one CZ
6. at least one HK

I have an XD-45 Tactical. It's my backup CCW. Very nice weapon. Very accurate. Good choice on the 40.

Gawd .....SO TRUE !! :(

FullAuto
09-19-2011, 7:04 PM
Thx to everyone for reading and responding to my post. I am excited about being able to have a good pistol for having fun and protection...........I have a question for anyone that would like to answer, is it a good idea to shoot reloads out of a brand new handgun or should I buy factory rounds for the gun? Thx

FullAuto
09-19-2011, 7:07 PM
Nice. I love xds. Sold my glock to buy one :p

Damn.........ironclash I wish i knew about your WTS 7.62 post I would have been all over that golden tiger and brown bear......snooze I lose.

bsg
09-19-2011, 7:46 PM
congratulations on your first handgun! you will find handguns to be addictive, just as you found the long guns to be.

esartori
09-20-2011, 10:25 AM
congrats on the buy! I have shot the XD. Great platform!

FullAuto
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
anyone with any suggestions on the question I asked? thx

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 1:34 PM

1. at least one revolver
2. at least one 1911
3. at least one Glock
4. at least one Sig
5. at least one CZ
6. at least one HK

I have an XD-45 Tactical. It's my backup CCW. Very nice weapon. Very

accurate. Good choice on the 40.

HA +1 on that comment. Congrats to you and congrats on exercising your 2nd. I can not stress how important it is to do that especially in California.
I am still a newbie in compared to some of the people on this forum.
Just practice safety first, and then have fun :)

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 1:39 PM
Thx to everyone for reading and responding to my post. I am excited about being able to have a good pistol for having fun and protection...........I have a question for anyone that would like to answer, is it a good idea to shoot reloads out of a brand new handgun or should I buy factory rounds for the gun? Thx

Buy factory. The only reason I say that is because I have very little free time as a business owner and its a question of time/money ratio.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, If you do reloads yourself, you have to be careful and do it correctly.
As a new user, master the handgun first, know the weapon, practice safety, know how to clean it properly, know where to store it properly, know how to travel with it properly. Once you finish with all there main things, then you can do the hobby of reloads.

15thaf5thbw
09-22-2011, 1:59 PM
Buy factory. The only reason I say that is because I have very little free time as a business owner and its a question of time/money ratio.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, If you do reloads yourself, you have to be careful and do it correctly.
As a new user, master the handgun first, know the weapon, practice safety, know how to clean it properly, know where to store it properly, know how to travel with it properly. Once you finish with all there main things, then you can do the hobby of reloads.

An improperly loaded re-load (self-loaded / hand-loaded, etc.) round won't damage you and/or your weapon any more than an improperly loaded factory round. Reloads, done carefully and with intelligence (as in tailored to your gun & needs, etc.), can be BETTER at what they do and co$t le$$.

Having said that, if you are a novice at reloading then obviously the probability of "an issue" occurring with your loads while shooting can be higher than if you used factory rounds. But that risk diminishes quickly (if you are not a retard :eek:) as you progress in your "reloading skills".

zfields
09-22-2011, 2:17 PM

I started reloading a month after I started shooting regularly. No reason not to start soon. If anything, it helps you become a better shooter since you can shoot more for less.

and yes, you do have to be carefull. But it aint rocket science.

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 3:07 PM
Maybe if I didn't live in a small apt I would do reloads. I would like a garage with a workstation to do this. I'm sure it would make it more worth wild to have proper space to do this. Until then, I barely have enough space to store factory boxes in my shoebox :mad: