PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eagle .44CA No Longer On Roster?

2nd Shot
09-17-2011, 4:47 PM
Alright, so we know that the Desert Eagle is a love/hate thing, but let's put that aside for the moment. I used to see a DE .44 in the display cases of most shops but it occurred to me that I haven't seen one for awhile now.

So I called and asked a couple places (for amusement, mostly) and they said that since Kahr bought Magnum Research, the DE44CA model has fallen off the roster, they can't sell any more new. Furthermore, the new manufacturer will supposedly have to recertify it, which would include adding a mag disconnect and LCI, which will likely not happen.

Truth or FUD? According the roster, the black oxide 6" DE44CA has indeed been removed, but the "BC" model (brushed chrome) is on there still... Is there even such thing as a brushed chrome DE44CA?

Are we basically SOL except for single shot exemption (pretty easy to do) and FTF?

2nd Shot
09-17-2011, 4:52 PM
Due to the way the gun works, and the simplicity of popping the barrel off and on, it should be a piece of cake to weld/block shut the gas passage, and toss a crappy Promag in that's been modified to not accept ammo. The fact that it's such a big huge gun should easily satisfy the minimum barrel/OAL requirement, and a 10" barrel can be had off the shelf if that's not enough.

Anybody handle the Desert Eagle in SSE configuration? Should be a piece of cake?

Akya
09-17-2011, 9:54 PM
Actually the DE44CA BC(brushed chrome) is still on the list. I have been trying to find a DE for the last two weeks. The model on the roster is either in production or soon to be produce. It will be available November at the earliest. Magnum research said they would be at some place(the name escapes me right now, I can find it if someone wants it) in Sacramento first. For me, I am not waiting until November and I want one in black so going single shot is what I am doing, or trying to do. I am working with EBR and TRA to see what we can do. Plus the CA approved model has a that quirky pin block. It will also probably be a smaller production so it will probably be more expensive. I would rather replace less parts, get the color I want, and pay less so single shot seems to be the way to go. Problem is, I don't think anyone has really done this yet. I believe it would just need a mag lock. As far as disabling the gas operation( I don't know if this is necessary) I would think the gas piston could just be removed. That is just my two cents. I am no authority on this I have just been making many phone calls to ffls and emailing magnum research. Just trying to get the gun I want.

dfens
09-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I remember Valkyrie Arms did a SSE on a tiger stripped one no need for a new barrel since the original OAL meets the requirements so no having to make a new one for such a low demand gun which raises the cost.

GUNNTZ
09-18-2011, 7:35 AM
If you are not impartial to a used gun, check the for sale section. I've seen a couple real nice black oxide's up for sale there. One or two of them included a 50AE barrel and mags, now that really makes for a fun gun.

Akya
09-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah one guy is selling his for 2k with a two barrels and clips but I can find a used mk XIX in .44 mag for about 1K and get a new barrel and clip for it for about 400$. EDIT: he has 4 mags which would mean about an extra 100. Makes no sense to me other than he payed too much for it because the ca approved model is bound to cost more. It has more parts and is a smaller production.

I guess I will be giving Valkyrie Arms a call haha. Thanks!

sirr6
09-18-2011, 12:48 PM
How do you know how much he paid for it? He could have bought it for 500.00 for all you know.

Yeah one guy is selling his for 2k with a two barrels and clips but I can find a used mk XIX in .44 mag for about 1K and get a new barrel and clip for it for about 400$. EDIT: he has 4 mags which would mean about an extra 100. Makes no sense to me other than he payed too much for it because the ca approved model is bound to cost more. It has more parts and is a smaller production.

I guess I will be giving Valkyrie Arms a call haha. Thanks!

2nd Shot
09-18-2011, 2:45 PM
I wouldn't mind ponying up a little more scratch for the brushed chrome, just for durability/corrosion resistance. But I wonder if they'll even produce more before the this last version falls off the list too.

SSE seems to make the most sense. It has a 6" bbl minimum as it is. If needed, the barrel comes off in 3 seconds and the gas passage could be plugged to shut off the gas system to make a single shot barrel. Not even sure that's needed in addition to a 0 shot skid to render it a single shot?

Akya
09-18-2011, 4:15 PM
He very well could have paid five for it I don't know. I am just saying from the buyers prospective it is a bad way to go.

I had my local gun dealer call magnum research, they told him that the CA approved brushed chrome model would be in california november at the earliest. If you want a new one, you'll have to wait.

2nd Shot
09-18-2011, 8:37 PM
Hmm. Do you think they'll really deliver, or that the roster will expire first?

Also - can Kahr renew existing Magnum Research products on the roster, or will they have to be recertified anyways under the new ownership?

Akya
09-18-2011, 9:28 PM
Nowing Cali, they will probably force them to recertifie. From what magnum research says they are going to be here in November. The model they are selling is on the roster until June of next year.

GUNNTZ
09-19-2011, 7:20 AM
Magnum Research is constantly behind on their estimates for barrels, mags and guns. It doesn't seem like a production issue, more of a import deal even though they are based state side now. I do get what you said about buying a 44 and then adding on. I just hope you understand getting a 50AE barrel is real tough, been waiting 6 months for mine :(

yamaha415
09-19-2011, 8:57 AM
Magnum Research is constantly behind on their estimates for barrels, mags and guns. It doesn't seem like a production issue, more of a import deal even though they are based state side now. I do get what you said about buying a 44 and then adding on. I just hope you understand getting a 50AE barrel is real tough, been waiting 6 months for mine :(

Very true. My brother waited forever for his. Ended up buying a new one of gun broker for $20 more. They kept bumping back the ship date.

PRKArms
09-19-2011, 9:27 AM
We've got a brushed chrome .50AE in stock right now. It would need to be purchased in-shop, not transferred. Email brad AT prkarms DOT org for pricing!

bubbapug1
09-19-2011, 9:45 AM
A DE 44 mag goes for about $950.00 - $1,000.00 here on Calguns. I bought two last year. Its an incredible gun and with the new ejector spring the gun shoots any 44 on the market, reloads, etc. If you can handle the heft, which is easy because the gun is perfectly balanced, and get used to the trigger, which is identical to a RRA match 2 stage AR trigger, you will love your DE.

I do agree, Hard or brushed chrome is a nice touch as the guns has a tendency to rouge a bit.

Homebrew2
09-19-2011, 3:54 PM
The guy from Kahr was on Guntalk and said it would be available in CA by end of year. Hour 2 of the podcast.

2nd Shot
09-19-2011, 4:55 PM
Yeah, F the roster, SSE sounds like the best way to get this done...