PDA

View Full Version : Impulse buy TRP

Dhena81
09-17-2011, 4:26 PM
I might have accidentally put a TRP on layaway once I get my bonus October 8th I'll pay it off. So the question is what parts should I order now I was thinking of getting a bunch of 10-8 parts like the trigger and pin set and a set of Henie ledge sights. After that I was thinking of getting a different MSH with a magwell any suggestions would be helpful.

Q619
09-17-2011, 4:49 PM
Pins? I'd just leave the ones you've got. As far as sights, while I don't like the rear: the tritium front is good....I'd probably just switch the rear to a 10-8 .140'' and call it a day. The 10-8 trigger is good but you might want to get a trigger job along with it as just dropping it in, you're not going to have as good a trigger. The MSH on it already has a magwell. You don't have to replace it to defeat the ILS...just R&R the guts with standard, though if you WANT a different setup I'd either get the S&A one piece magwell/MSH or the Ed Brown Maxiwell (removable).

If it were me I'd just replace the rear sight as stated, ditch the FLGR for a GI setup, defeat the ILS and put in a Ed Brown Hardcore (steel) firing pin to replace that light titanium one you've got in there. Maybe throw on some VZ grips like the golfball or aliens :D. Depending on your orientation, I'd also put on a EGW strong sided thumb safety to replace the ambi since I don't like them. Apart from that, get some good magazines.

Of course, all this is in lieu of the fact that this gun will work perfectly fine from the factory :p I'm just picky with 1911's.

Dhena81
09-17-2011, 5:18 PM
Pins? I'd just leave the ones you've got. As far as sights, while I don't like the rear: the tritium front is good....I'd probably just switch the rear to a 10-8 .140'' and call it a day. The 10-8 trigger is good but you might want to get a trigger job along with it as just dropping it in, you're not going to have as good a trigger. The MSH on it already has a magwell. You don't have to replace it to defeat the ILS...just R&R the guts with standard, though if you WANT a different setup I'd either get the S&A one piece magwell/MSH or the Ed Brown Maxiwell (removable).

If it were me I'd just replace the rear sight as stated, ditch the FLGR for a GI setup, defeat the ILS and put in a Ed Brown Hardcore (steel) firing pin to replace that light titanium one you've got in there. Maybe throw on some VZ grips like the golfball or aliens :D. Depending on your orientation, I'd also put on a EGW strong sided thumb safety to replace the ambi since I don't like them. Apart from that, get some good magazines.

Of course, all this is in lieu of the fact that this gun will work perfectly fine from the factory :p I'm just picky with 1911's.

Wow that was a great response and thanks for your time.

You've cleared up some misunderstandings I had with the springer in regards to the MSH and the ILS. I'm definitely going to change out the ambi safety I hate them also the MIM mag catch. Do you have any suggestions on where to get trigger work done at? The main reason I wanted to get rid of the trigger is I really like the way the solid trigger looks. These were the pins I was going to replace right here (http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Pins.html) maybe its useless IDK.

p7m8jg
09-17-2011, 5:22 PM
Don't blame yourself for having a good idea. Don't think of it as an "impulse".

Think of it more as a happenstance of fate. Divinely ordained to occur, even.

I love it when that happens...

tacticalcity
09-17-2011, 5:30 PM
I really love my 1911. I own a different brand/model 1911. The Kimber Custom II. Much more basic than yours. But I can tell you what aftermarket parts caused problems and which worked wonders. That might save you a headache or two.

Parts I added that causes issues...

Wilson Extended Slide Stop - Kept bounching up and locking the slide all on its own due to the added weight. Once I removed it and put the factory slide release back on, it was great.

Wilson Ambi Safety - Just fit kinda loose and flimsy on the ambi side. And didn't function as smoothly as the factory safety. So I switched back.

Both probablems probably could have been smoothed out by a gunsmith. But it didn't seem worth the effort or money to me.

Parts I added that worked wonders...

VZ ETC Frag Grips - Absolutely love them, though I can't make up my mind if I want a different color. The texture area is perfect. They put it in the perfect spot needed and left the areas smooth that needed to be smooth for the perfect carry texture pattern. Just ordered black ones. My Black & Cherry ones are for sale. Also selling off my all black slim fit VZ Frag Grips. Love the frag pattern, just fussy over minor details like color.

VZ 1911 Grip Tape Front Strap - Nice that it is precut in a decent looking pattern. Makes up for my 1911 not have a front strap. Works really well.

Ameriglo 3 Dot Night Sights - A major improvement over the Kimber factory all black sights. Easier to pickup both in the day and at night.

Fushion Chain Link Pattern Mainspring Housing w/ optional Magazine Well - Added more weight than I would have wanted but the magwell makes changing magazines go much smoother at speed and the chain link pattern keeps sweaty hands from slipping.

Dhena81
09-17-2011, 6:04 PM
^^^Those Frag grips look awesome

helpme
09-17-2011, 7:08 PM

I'm impressed. I'll be PMing you in the near future with some 1911 questions if you don't mind :)

Chief-7700
09-17-2011, 7:57 PM
Just go and shoot the TRP before you start changing parts out. I have a TRP Operator full rail with all SA parts in it close to 35K rounds shot.

redcliff
09-17-2011, 8:26 PM
Congrats on your TRP! Excellent pistol, and I also recommend you shoot it before you decide what to change.

MT1
09-17-2011, 9:09 PM
First thing I did to my TRP was an Ed Brown GI guide plug/rod setup, and some Larry Davidson grips, that plus a pile of Chip McCormick mags and plenty of ammo and you're good to go for a while.

AeroEngi
09-17-2011, 9:21 PM
I say shoot it the way it is first. That's what I did with mine. The only thing I did is I went from the two piece to the one piece guide rod. Damn gun shoot flawlessly the way it is.

Q619
09-17-2011, 9:24 PM
Wow that was a great response and thanks for your time.

You've cleared up some misunderstandings I had with the springer in regards to the MSH and the ILS. I'm definitely going to change out the ambi safety I hate them also the MIM mag catch. Do you have any suggestions on where to get trigger work done at? The main reason I wanted to get rid of the trigger is I really like the way the solid trigger looks. These were the pins I was going to replace right here (http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Pins.html) maybe its useless IDK.

No problem! I'm here because I like to talk guns after all :p

Don't be too terribly put off by MIM, I know people tend to not want to touch it with a ten foot pole but the quality Springfield uses tends to be good. At least good enough to be used in low stress parts without worry. In fact, they still use a few MIM parts in the Professional model. There's a wide variance in the quality of castings and forgings out there and the same goes for MIM (which is really just a form of casting). There're good and bad when it comes to MIM. Nearly all gun manufacturers out there use MIM to SOME degree though there are obviously exceptions such as Wilson Combat for example though you'll certainly pay for it. While I wouldn't be too worried about a mag catch....I wouldn't want a MIM extractor. Fortunately, your TRP doesn't have one.

Before you REALLY get into tricking your gun out and putting money into it, I really have to say this: get the TRP because you want a TRP. If you want a gun without MIM and with a certain look....then it MAY be more cost effective and less hassle for you to buy THAT gun. The TRP already comes very well equipped and if you want a gun to upgrade/customize to your specs, I'd suggest starting with something cheaper like a Mil-Spec or even having SACS, Ed Brown, Wilson or Nighthawk build you a gun using the components you want and single shot exempting it. That way you have a gun with a warranty as well and the wait is pretty short relative to a gunsmith. If you don't mind a wait, or spending MORE money: a full custom from a top notch gun smith is impossible to beat though you might have to wait up to a couple years and it really pays to know what you want and know the 1911 platform when you decide those things. Some smiths won't even accept work as they're years behind. All in what you're willing to do and more importantly: PAY :D. At the least, I know SACS and Brown are very open to using some parts that aren't their own (not that SACS actually manufactures parts). While I love Les Baer guns, Les won't use any parts but his own and isn't very flexible in regards to customizations while he'll void your warranty if you have your gun worked on by a third party or do it yourself. Reasonably of course....if you have your sights changed, he won't warranty your sights. THOUGH, I believe he voids out your whole gun if you have it coated by a third party.

If you DO go through with getting your TRP and DO want to have the trigger work done, then I'd send it to SACS (Springfield Armory Custom Shop) so the work will not only be done right but be under warranty. Also, it would be wise to put at least 500 to 1000 rounds through your gun to make sure everything is broken in and functioning as it should so if there are any issues, they can be resolved while your gun is at the shop. As well as get you free shipping since if there are any issues with your gun as it comes from the factory, Springfield will give you a label to print up and return ship it to them gratis.

Apart from Springfield, I have good experiences from John Harrison and Dave Severns when it comes to getting 1911 work done. It really pays to have a good 1911 smith do the work on your gun and not a strip mall gun shop where some guy with a mallet says he can do it all before you even tell him what you'd like done! These guys live and breathe 1911's and have many years under their belts of doing so not to mention being class acts.

Those pins would be a waste of money btw. They're great quality but there's nothing wrong with the ones you've got. You'd be better served with buying ammo with that same money.

I like solid triggers too, though the Videki (sp?) style trigger is drilled to lighten it which is supposed to help with speed of reset supposedly. Though I've felt no appreciable difference between the two since they're both pretty light weight. Might not be worth a trigger job though as it's kind of putting a good amount of money into splitting hairs. A trigger job, depending on if they use your existing parts or not should run at least ~$100 in most places. I personally like both flat, solid and the seemingly standard Videcki triggers. They all work great for me and personally, I tend to use guns with what they come with more and more. If I'm having a gun built or am getting a trigger job already, I tend to get a flat trigger while I'm at it......

Wilson Extended Slide Stop - Kept bounching up and locking the slide all on its own due to the added weight. Once I removed it and put the factory slide release back on, it was great.

You can play it safe by not deviating too far from what you see on the lineup of guns from the major semi custom shops....this is one part I've never seen come standard on ANY gun from ANY said shop :p for a reason.

Wilson Ambi Safety - Just fit kinda loose and flimsy on the ambi side. And didn't function as smoothly as the factory safety. So I switched back.
Both probablems probably could have been smoothed out by a gunsmith. But it didn't seem worth the effort or money to me.

Pretty much all tongue in groove safeties feel like that. You can actually tighten them up by pinching that grooved/slotted/female end a little bit. As far as the smoothness, that's probably just the way you fitted it. As you say, from a smith: it would be smooth and positive when engaging and disengaging. The Wilson ambi is a good one though I prefer the Ed Brown.....unless we're talking Wilson BP parts.

Fushion Chain Link Pattern Mainspring Housing w/ optional Magazine Well - Added more weight than I would have wanted but the magwell makes changing magazines go much smoother at speed and the chain link pattern keeps sweaty hands from slipping.

They make great parts though I tend to stick with Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, EGW and 10-8. I'm totally with you on the chainlink. I shoot an Ed Brown SF.

I'm impressed. I'll be PMing you in the near future with some 1911 questions if you don't mind :)

Feel free, I'm no expert....far from it: but I'm happy to share anything I've learned from my hobby :D

Q619
09-17-2011, 9:30 PM
Congrats on your TRP! Excellent pistol, and I also recommend you shoot it before you decide what to change.

This can't be stressed enough :)

Dhena81
09-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow Q619 you remind me of what I answered to a question that was asked of me. Someone asked me on a scale of 1-10 what number would I use to depict my knowledge of firearms. I said compared to what and who and that I couldn't truly answer the question accurately.

I think maybe you and others have convinced me to keep the TRP almost factory. Which I wasn't planing on changing parts for at least 1k rounds anyways but thanks yall for the good advice on that. I'm now going to keep most of it stock except a GI guide rod, grips, ILS, and I really want to get rid of the ambi selector.

This is intended to be a stepping stone to what I really want I'll be starting another couple layaway's at Gunslinger for Nighthawk GRP Recon and a EB SF I want that is going to have to be SSE.

Thanks again :)

tacticalcity
09-17-2011, 10:30 PM
^^^Those Frag grips look awesome

Thanks. I really enjoy the feel of them. I've tried like 20 different grips and settled on the ETC FRAG.

Which TRP did you get? Can you post a pic?

osxgp
09-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I would shoot it first as stated above. Put 500 down the pipe before changing parts. After that, you will have a better idea of what you want to replace. Although it couldn't hurt getting rid of the 2 piece guide rod. Either go solid or GI style. I personally prefer the GI style.

AeroEngi
09-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I'd also like to know which TRP you got. Pics would be nice!

Dhena81
09-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks. I really enjoy the feel of them. I've tried like 20 different grips and settled on the ETC FRAG.

Which TRP did you get? Can you post a pic?

I'd also like to know which TRP you got. Pics would be nice!

I don't have it yet but its the armor kote no light rail I've wanted one of these since I've been able to buy handguns 9 years ago but never had the money.

Tacticalcity what color Frags did you get I'm torn between the Black, Olive, and brown I'd hate to copy you but I might if you post some picks.

Edit::I'd like to get the operator HR except I wouldn't want to SSE and I don't know how I feel about having to use a tool to field strip.

Read your post again you have Black Frags

DaveFJ80 do you have 2 Springfield's ???

bsg
09-17-2011, 11:36 PM
congratulations on your TRP. my suggestion is you follow Redcliff's advise on your intentions and pending changes/additions.

AeroEngi
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't have it yet but its the armor kote no light rail I've wanted one of these since I've been able to buy handguns 9 years ago but never had the money.

Tacticalcity what color Frags did you get I'm torn between the Black, Olive, and brown I'd hate to copy you but I might if you post some picks.

Edit::I'd like to get the operator HR except I wouldn't want to SSE and I don't know how I feel about having to use a tool to field strip.

Awesome dude, I've got the same exact one and it's an absolute dream to shoot. Initially, I had a few issues with failing to feed the last round of the mag but I finally figured out that the cause of this was from the Wilson 47D mags that I was using. Whatever you do, don't get the Wilson 47D's cuz they have weak springs that cause failure to feeds. If you want Wilson mags, go for the ETM mags. Contrary to what most people say, the factory Springfield mags are absolutely flawless and I just bought a couple Checkmate 8 round extended mags that also run perfect through the TRP. Like I said, all I've done is change out the 2-piece guide rod for a 1-piece. I got the EGW stainless 1-piece. Field stripping is easy and does not require any tools.

tacticalcity
09-17-2011, 11:52 PM

I have BLACK ETC FRAGS on the way from VZ Grips. I am selling off my BLACK & CHERRY ETC Frags at a slight discount here on calguns and my regular pattern BLACK SLIM CARRY FRAGS as well. I personally like the feel of the full size ETC Frags better than the slim carry. The slim carry were a tad too narrow for my hands.

SINCE YOU ASKED...HERE IS THE FOR SALE THREAD: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=475910

Here are some pics of what the two I have tried thus far look like on the gun...don't have the all Black ETC Frag Grips yet so I can't post a picture of them. But when they come in I will try and remember to do so.

Slim Fit VZ Frag Grips Black w/ optional thumb notch and are NOT ambi safety...requires new slim fit bushings and screws that are shorter so if you the slim fit route don't forget to order them at the same time - a mistake I made and couldn't use them for a week.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%201911s/1911_SLIN-FIT.jpg

Regular fit VZ ETC Frags Black & Cherry w/ optional thumb notch and cut for ambi safety...in person most people looking at them think they are wood. But the flash brings out the G10 texture details so you can tell they are G10. Normally the eye doesn't notice. That texture is what makes them grip so good.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%201911s/1911_CHERRY.jpg

Q619
09-18-2011, 9:57 AM
Wow Q619 you remind me of what I answered to a question that was asked of me. Someone asked me on a scale of 1-10 what number would I use to depict my knowledge of firearms. I said compared to what and who and that I couldn't truly answer the question accurately.

I think maybe you and others have convinced me to keep the TRP almost factory. Which I wasn't planing on changing parts for at least 1k rounds anyways but thanks yall for the good advice on that. I'm now going to keep most of it stock except a GI guide rod, grips, ILS, and I really want to get rid of the ambi selector.

This is intended to be a stepping stone to what I really want I'll be starting another couple layaway's at Gunslinger for Nighthawk GRP Recon and a EB SF I want that is going to have to be SSE.

Thanks again :)

No problem, I've benefitted greatly from knowledge shared with me. I'm fortunate to have been exposed to some fellas that REALLY know what they're talking about :p I'm just the tip of the iceberg. Additionally, a VERY good resource for 1911's is www.1911forums.com I highly recommend becoming a member there if you aren't already and start reading everything you can. There's a wealth of information there and a lot of good guys that are willing to help people along.

Sounds like you've got a good plan for your gun. I believe you'll be very happy with it! Before you start buying other 1911's, I'd recommend getting in a lot of trigger time and checking out what's out there as far as guns, manufacturers, parts etc while you do so you can figure out what you want in your next one. Take your time, there's a LOT out there. I made the mistake of buying a couple guns without thinking about it enough and ended up turning around later and selling at a loss as my tastes started to develop in certain things. Hell, maybe I'm just pickier than most :p it's easier to just buy what you want and keep it around though.

Funny, but I've never shot a NH but I'm a big fan of EB. Might want to take a look at Wilson too....I like the beavertail on the Brown more which makes me tend to shoot it much more but as a whole, the Wilson has an edge on it.

I really dig the scalloping on the Brown SF, it's impossible to damage....this coming from a guy that mangled the checkering on the front strap of his Baer :p plus it's nice to not worry about shooting with other people (if they're wearing rings, they can damage your nice, sharp checkering).

zfields
09-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Just go and shoot the TRP before you start changing parts out. I have a TRP Operator full rail with all SA parts in it close to 35K rounds shot.

+1.

stevie
09-18-2011, 10:29 AM

This!!

The DRis
09-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Wow Q619. Thanks for all the knowledge your sharing. I would love to pick your brain either through PM or through here if the OP doesn't mind me asking questions about my TRP.

Been meaning to get over there to the 1911 forums, but trying to dedicate time to another forum (already on 3) is hard, especially when in the beginning stages of learning, there is sooo much to go through and it's not easy to cherry pick when your new.

Does 619 in your username mean your in San Diego?

Q619
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
San Diego born and raised! Shoot me a PM any time!

DArBad
09-19-2011, 3:55 PM
I say shoot it the way it is first. That's what I did with mine. The only thing I did is I went from the two piece to the one piece guide rod. Damn gun shoot flawlessly the way it is.

+1 to this!

Michaeln
09-19-2011, 6:54 PM
The best change I've made to my TRP is a Burris Fastfire II sight. Everyone knows that the fixed sights shoot too high. I put on the red dot and found that it was easily good enough to shoot in competition. I've won several IPSC matches with the TRP when using the red dot sight.

I also spent $700 having the trigger done and getting all the parts accurized but the red dot was the best upgrade and it was only $200.

Chief-7700
09-19-2011, 7:06 PM
$500.00 for a trigger job and some parts replaced?

esartori
09-20-2011, 9:27 AM
I agree with shoot it first. Who knows, you might love how it shoots and save a lot of money.

BTW excellent pistol choice. If only I had the cash flow....

Dhena81
09-20-2011, 2:24 PM
I agree with shoot it first. Who knows, you might love how it shoots and save a lot of money.

BTW excellent pistol choice. If only I had the cash flow....

I put it on layaway at Buds they offer a 90 day layaway. I pay for all my guns cash these days anyways CC suck if I can't afford it in cash I can't afford it. I was lucky they offer an electronic checking transfer because otherwise they wouldn't have held it for me it was already out of stock less than 24 hours after I found it there on Saturday. For some reason the TRP's sell out really fast.

The DRis
09-20-2011, 7:44 PM
They sell out cause they are damn good guns!

Malmon
09-20-2011, 9:38 PM
Buds have it in stock right now:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/43772

Dhena81
09-21-2011, 7:06 PM
Buds have it in stock right now:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/43772

Watch they'll be out of stock soon enough everyone should get themselves one and we'll meet at the range :)

PRCABR4Christ
09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I would only switch out the trigger to a 10-8 flat trigger, those are on all my 1911's...I love em! Other than that, the TRP I shot was awesome, so that would be my only upgrade (I dunno if they come standard with tritium sights, but this one had them)...I did not however enjoy having to use a tool to take the TRP apart...that sucked, I would fit or have a tapered cone threaded barrel fit to it to ease disassembly