PDA

View Full Version : Just took the Walther P1 to the range

DeathByDoubleDip
09-17-2011, 3:13 PM
Thanks to Turner's for selling these! Put mine on layaway at Turner's early August, but I was being such a fickle bastard about whether I wanted it or not until I finally caved.

Stopped by LA Gun Club to run 100 rounds through this with my neighbor. Only 1 malfunction the entire time (FTE) with 100 rounds of 115gr 9mm PMC.

After I had gone through the first mag, someone behind me asked if it was a P1, I turned around and said "Yes, why?".

The guy shows me a holster in his range box and lifts the flap away, revealing his own P1. He then shows me a P225 that he was shooting that day, and I ran a partial mag through it (5 rounds). The feel of the gun was surprisingly comparable to the P1, and there was minimal muzzle climb with either one.

Now I'm trying to prowl the Private Firearms Sales section for a used P225 :43: . Too bad it has a spotty record with JHPs like the P1 does, from what I'm reading. Then again, I'm mostly using the P1 as a range toy, and if I got the P225 later, I'd be using it with that same intent as well, although it would be nice to find a specific brand of JHP it likes to chuck out for home D.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with this as a first centerfire pistol purchase. My only gripes are with how picky it allegedly is with JHPs and the heel mag release, but both are minor issues for a gun I'm primarily using for the range. For the most part, it put rounds where I wanted it to (and it was my fault when it didn't). I ended up doing better with this than with almost all the polymer nines I've fired (except the Glock 19). Ordering two more mags soon. This goes well with the 91/30 I got a few weeks ago for my East v.s. West Europe set :2guns:

http://i.imgur.com/dyrC6h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/If6Anh.jpg

Think I'm going to have to find some time to head down to A Place to Shoot in Newhall for some steel plate action.

J.D.Allen
09-17-2011, 3:16 PM
wow that's cool lookin

TheExpertish
09-17-2011, 3:28 PM
Nice. I looked at a couple at Turner's during the sale but passed. Thinking about getting one from Classic Arms instead.

DeathByDoubleDip
09-17-2011, 3:36 PM
Nice. I looked at a couple at Turner's during the sale but passed. Thinking about getting one from Classic Arms instead.

I probably would've gotten it from Classic Arms instead if I had a C&R, but I don't (and I'm kind of worried I'd be missing the fatty slide + hex pin upgrade unless I specifically ask). Whether these would still be in stock 8, 9 weeks after I mailed in the C&R paperwork would have been another issue as well. Would've been nice to get the holster/cleaning kit/spare mag in the config that Classic Arms packaged it in, but now that I bought this with 1 mag only from Turner's, I'm probably just getting 2 spare ones.

JAGGUY
09-17-2011, 4:38 PM
I just picked up a new P1 magazine for mine on G-Broker for $15 shipped. Showed up quickly..

pkc168
09-17-2011, 4:48 PM
Very nice! they have good prices for magazines at cheaper than dirt.

PanaDP
09-17-2011, 5:01 PM
Hit up the oaktree gun club. They have a great steel pistol range. It has enough variety to keep you interested until you run out of ammo.