PDA

View Full Version : (Glock) anyone shoot BOTH gen3 and gen4?

spyhawk
09-17-2011, 5:31 AM
So I just bought a glock 22 gen3 rtf. My question is, is it worth upgradeing the recoil spring to the new gen4 duel spring system? Is it worth it? They say it reduces recoil a lot. Everyone I have talked to has shot either one or the other. Andone who has shot both, can you tell if there is a difference between the two?

RollingCode3
09-17-2011, 5:37 AM
I dont understand your question. You want to upgrade to gen4 or you want to upgrade the recoil spring to the new gen4 dual spring system? I have both Gen4 and gen3. I really can't tell the different. The main selling point for me is the smaller grip and the mag release.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_0909.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_0884.jpg

spyhawk
09-17-2011, 6:18 AM
I dont understand your question.

sorry yes I was considering upgrading to the gen4 recoil spring since they said it reduced recoil. And I know companies boast about the littlest things to make them seem like a big deal. I wasn't sure it the spring was worth the upgrade..

RollingCode3
09-17-2011, 6:23 AM
sorry yes I was considering upgrading to the gen4 recoil spring since they said it reduced recoil. And I know companies boast about the littlest things to make them seem like a big deal. I wasn't sure it the spring was worth the upgrade..

You can't just upgrade the spring. It doesn't work like that. The slide on Gen3 and Gen4 are different. You have two options

1. Sell your Gen3 to purchase Gen4
2. Buy the Gen4 to add to your collection

;)

Oceanbob
09-17-2011, 6:26 AM

I may be wrong but I think the change is more than the spring. I think the hole in the slide is larger (different slide on the Gen4)

So I doubt A Gen4 spring will run a Gen3 Slide. (on some models...I just don't know)

I do know that you can run a Gen3 spring in a Gen 4 slide if you buy this adaptor ring...which proves to me the hole size is different.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/426_Gen+4+SpecificParts/7895_GEN4+Recoil+Assembly+Adapter+Ring/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D426%26_Gen% 2B4%2BSpecificParts%2F

Be well, Bob

CK_32
09-17-2011, 6:44 AM
Ive only shot the RTF and felt a gen4.

I would wait a little longer on the gen4 until they prove its all good to go. I know a LOT of them work. But I wouldn't drop that extra coin on a maybe.

Stick with the RTF and maybe later get a gen4 then sell one or keep both. I love my RTF. Grip is amazing and the "fish gills" dont look half bad once you see them in person.

And a few guys that have shot them say they love their gen4's but a few of them gave me the advice I gave above. Just wait a little longer if your unsure.

IMO a gen4 isnt an upgrade just yet.

spyhawk
09-17-2011, 8:30 AM
You can't just upgrade the spring. It doesn't work like that. The slide on Gen3 and Gen4 are different. You have two options

1. Sell your Gen3 to purchase Gen4
2. Buy the Gen4 to add to your collection

;)

Lol! I like your thinkin! But I think there is a conversion kit i'v seen somewhere

DaveFJ80
09-17-2011, 8:32 AM
I have both. My Gen 4 has the lastest 0-4-3 spring in it.

Honestly, I like the way my Gen 3 feels and shoots more than the Gen 4... stock for stock. My primary is the Gen 3 and my backup for classes or competitions is the Gen 4.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Glock19/G19s_3.jpg

Lumpia is sarap!
09-17-2011, 8:41 AM
Love my G17G4, I highly recommend it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN0339.jpg

DannyInSoCal
09-17-2011, 8:50 AM
It is true the mags don't drop free on the Gen4s -

Or is that FUD...?

Lumpia is sarap!
09-17-2011, 9:04 AM
Mine drops.

vonderplatz
09-17-2011, 9:16 AM
Just got my 23 Gen 4 out of jail yesterday and it drops just fine. If it didn't it would be for sale on calguns.

spyhawk
09-17-2011, 10:35 AM

I would wait a little longer on the gen4 until they prove its all good to go. I know a LOT of them work. But I wouldn't drop that extra coin on a maybe.

Stick with the RTF and maybe later get a gen4 then sell one or keep both. I love my RTF. Grip is amazing and the "fish gills" dont look half bad once you see them in person.

And a few guys that have shot them say they love their gen4's but a few of them gave me the advice I gave above. Just wait a little longer if your unsure.

Good to know. I have also heard only a couple people said they have problems with their guns. Not sure with what but still something to wait on. Plus without a SSE or fam transfer the gen4 isn't sold here yet.

osxgp
09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
The slide and frame are different between the Gen3 and Gen4. It is only possible to get a ring adapter for the Gen4 to use the Gen3 recoil spring, but not the other way around. I sold my G19 RTF Gen3 for a Gen4 G19. Rollingcode3 gave me a bit of de-ja-vu with his pics. lol. Also, the mags drop fine.

locosway
09-18-2011, 10:18 AM

The Gen4 was designed around the .40, which is what he has. The Gen3 was designed around the 9mm. This is why the Gen3 works flawlessly in the 9mm across most iterations and why the .40 had issues such as battering of the slide. It's also the reason why the Gen4 had issues in 9mm.

The Gen4 is good to go, just make sure you have the proper RSA for your caliber.

spyhawk
09-18-2011, 10:31 AM
The Gen4 is good to go, just make sure you have the proper RSA for your caliber.

Sorry still kind new at this. RSA? Is that like the grain count?

XYZ
09-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I have a Gen 3, RTF2 and a Gen 4. I can't tell the difference in recoil. All the Gen 4's now ship with a 04 recoil spring so if you get a used one check the stamp. If it's a 01 or 03 (depending if you get a 17 or 19) then Glock will send you the newer spring.

As someone else posted, I got the Gen 4 for the smaller grip. The texture is also much better than the RTF2.

locosway
09-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Sorry still kind new at this. RSA? Is that like the grain count?

Nah, it's the Recoil Spring Assembly... I was being 100% lazy.. ;)

Honestly, the Gen3 is a solid gun. Unless you're looking for something the Gen4 has, there's no reason to switch. You have the RTF2 already, so really, slap some sights on it and maybe a different mag release and call it a day.

If you have questions on the Glock Gen4 RSA there is a thread here:

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7102048

If you have any other Glock questions just ask! :)

locosway
09-18-2011, 10:35 AM
The texture is also much better than the RTF2.

Personal opinion... I have two G17 RTF2's and I love them. Then Gen4 is nice, but it's not as aggressive.

spyhawk
09-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I have a Gen 3, RTF2 and a Gen 4. I can't tell the difference in recoil. All the Gen 4's now ship with a 04 recoil spring so if you get a used one check the stamp. If it's a 01 or 03 (depending if you get a 17 or 19) then Glock will send you the newer spring.

As someone else posted, I got the Gen 4 for the smaller grip. The texture is also much better than the RTF2.

Do you have the SSE? Or how did you get yours? The gen4 that is..

spyhawk
09-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Nah, it's the Recoil Spring Assembly... I was being 100% lazy.. ;)

Honestly, the Gen3 is a solid gun. Unless you're looking for something the Gen4 has, there's no reason to switch. You have the RTF2 already, so really, slap some sights on it and maybe a different mag release and call it a day.

If you have questions on the Glock Gen4 RSA there is a thread here:

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=7102048

If you have any other Glock questions just ask! :)

Ohhh lol I googled it and it didn't show anything lol. Sights are my first priority. Thinking about the trijicon HD's. Just curious why a different mag release? And what would you suggest?

XYZ
09-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Personal opinion... I have two G17 RTF2's and I love them. Then Gen4 is nice, but it's not as aggressive.

Of course. Comments people write are all about personal opinion :). What else would they be?

XYZ
09-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Do you have the SSE? Or how did you get yours?

SSE via Valkyrie Arms. At one point I was purchasing more than using so I had to sell a couple :)

spyhawk
09-18-2011, 10:45 AM
SSE via Valkyrie Arms. At one point I was purchasing more than using so I had to sell a couple :)

Oh ok. I heard since it's not permanent that it's easy to undo it? Opinion?

CK_32
09-18-2011, 10:47 AM
The Gen4 was designed around the .40, which is what he has. The Gen3 was designed around the 9mm. This is why the Gen3 works flawlessly in the 9mm across most iterations and why the .40 had issues such as battering of the slide. It's also the reason why the Gen4 had issues in 9mm.

That is a really good point. All the issues seem to revolve around the 9mm. So I would say if the price is right or you can afford it go for it. I'd still keep that rtf tho. Maybe trade it for a 9mm rtf and have best of both worlds in several ways.

XYZ
09-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh ok. I heard since it's not permanent that it's easy to undo it? Opinion?

Purchase it as a SSE, then return to store once you own it to have gun work done to replace the barrel. The process takes about a minute.

spyhawk
09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Purchase it as a SSE, then return to store once you own it to have gun work done to replace the barrel. The process takes about a minute.

Any gun smith would do it legally? Is it just changing the barrel to fix the SSE?

XYZ
09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Any gun smith would do it legally? Is it just changing the barrel to fix the SSE?

The same store you purchased this from can do this unless you have this shipped from them to a FFL that will receive them. There's a sticky on this forum that explains SSE. I would post it but I'm on my IPhone.

Red Devil
09-18-2011, 4:53 PM
Glock 23 Gen 4 Comparison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXS3c110Te4)

deadcoyote
09-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Glock has discontinued the RTF model. At least that's what they told me at a Glock Armorer school in August.

I shoot both Gen4 and 3 every week, really dont see it as a big difference. not gonna say the Gen4 is bad, all the ones I shoot work great.

Target19
09-19-2011, 2:43 PM
So I just bought a glock 22 gen3 rtf. My question is, is it worth upgradeing the recoil spring to the new gen4 duel spring system? Is it worth it? They say it reduces recoil a lot. Everyone I have talked to has shot either one or the other. Andone who has shot both, can you tell if there is a difference between the two?

Not worth it to me at all.
I couldn't really tell any dramatic difference to make the change.

CK_32
09-19-2011, 3:55 PM
Glock has discontinued the RTF model. At least that's what they told me at a Glock Armorer school in August.

I shoot both Gen4 and 3 every week, really dont see it as a big difference. not gonna say the Gen4 is bad, all the ones I shoot work great.

Yea they are. They discontinued them when they started talking about the gen4. They are like the OD green glocks. Some people think the prices of they are going to go up some don't well see. But your right they don't make them anymore.

deadcoyote
09-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Yea they are. They discontinued them when they started talking about the gen4. They are like the OD green glocks. Some people think the prices of they are going to go up some don't well see. But your right they don't make them anymore.

The Glock guy who taught the class said a lot of departments were mad that they bought the RTF pistols which were then wearing holes in all the cops uniforms where the grip would touch the guys sides when they moved around! Funny, expensive lesson to learn.

1911su16b870
09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Funny my G4 works just fine in 9mm even with the OEM recoil spring...just like my G3...

BamBam-31
09-20-2011, 1:06 PM
A friend had a Gen4 G17. He asked if I wanted to buy it, so I shot a few rounds through it first. Felt no different than my Gen 3 G17 in terms of recoil, and the trigger felt worse to boot (but that's comparing stock to aftermarket).

IMHO, unless the interchangeable backstraps is a big plus in your book, stick with the Gen 3's. That's the model with the proven track record.

As always, the best recoil reducing device is a proper high thumbs hold. I also find it helpful to slightly unlock my elbows so I can use my arms as shock absorbers.

spyhawk
09-21-2011, 5:11 PM
A friend had a Gen4 G17. He asked if I wanted to buy it, so I shot a few rounds through it first. Felt no different than my Gen 3 G17 in terms of recoil, and the trigger felt worse to boot (but that's comparing stock to aftermarket).

IMHO, unless the interchangeable backstraps is a big plus in your book, stick with the Gen 3's. That's the model with the proven track record.

As always, the best recoil reducing device is a proper high thumbs hold. I also find it helpful to slightly unlock my elbows so I can use my arms as shock absorbers.

Good to know. I think as long as it's off roster I will just stick with my gen3. Once on roster though I will buy it just to have a second. thanks for the advice!