PDA

View Full Version : New Beretta pistol (for the compact market)

rojocorsa
09-16-2011, 4:45 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/17/beretta-nano-a-new-subcompact-9mm-pistol/

http://www.defensereview.com/beretta-nano-subcompact-pistol-9mm-parabellum-9x19mm-nato-40-sw-polymer-framed-sub-compact-pistol-goes-up-against-the-big-boys-in-the-concealed-carry-ccw-arena/

There is a video in the link too.

The gun is interesting. Can't wait to see how it performs and holds up against the competition.

Beretta probably realized just how much they were missing out in this market segment. I wonder how this one will stack against the PPS too.

Mr.1904
09-16-2011, 5:07 PM
Looks ugly.

If only the px4 subcompact was on the roster

Sturnovik
09-16-2011, 5:08 PM
Pretty interesting. I'm all for competition. Seems like everyone is going the Glock style trigger safety. Beretta makes a good quality pistol, time will tell on this model. Wonder if it will be CA rostered.

Press Check
09-16-2011, 8:41 PM
Pretty interesting. I'm all for competition. Seems like everyone is going the Glock style trigger safety. Beretta makes a good quality pistol, time will tell on this model. Wonder if it will be CA rostered.

Yes, the certainly do, but they really need to move away from the slide mounted safety features.

Since the PX4 Compact or Sub Compact aren't on the Roster, there's no reason to believe that this one will make the Roster either.

zfields
09-16-2011, 8:51 PM
Said it before, say it again.

Looks like a XD and Px4 had buttsecks, and this poped out.

MrExel17
09-16-2011, 9:06 PM
I'd pick the PX4-Sub

tankerman
09-16-2011, 9:15 PM
4.17" height -
looking at how tall that slide and upper portion of the frame appear, makes me wonder if two fingers will fit on the grip under the trigger guard.

L84CABO
09-16-2011, 11:51 PM
I didn't think it was possible but that thing might just be uglier than a Glock :rofl:

Cougar
09-17-2011, 8:28 AM
Since the PX4 Compact or Sub Compact aren't on the Roster, there's no reason to believe that this one will make the Roster either.

Most modern guns that are not on the California Government Approved list are not on the list because the manufacturer did not want to pay the extortion money to put it on the list...

The sales on this model might be high enough to justify paying the extortion fee, this time.... Of course we (purchasers) end up paying the extortion with higher prices and restrained market choices.

starsnuffer
09-17-2011, 9:13 AM
Does it have a magazine lockout and a loaded chamber indicator? If not it won't even be eligible for the roster.

-W

brianm767
09-17-2011, 10:55 AM
First of course we will have to see if it is roster approved, but even if it's not, as we all know that's just a minor stumbling block, but for many it will add a few bucks to the price for a family transfer from out of state or the single shot route.

I'm interested, it's still slightly bigger than a Kahr PM9 not by much, 1.77 OZ Heavier, but at $300 dollars less, and backed with a name like Beretta, it's really going to give the other guns in this market a run for our money.

To me it looks like a Kahr/Taurus slide knockoff, I don't care for the frame, but I can get over that, I wonder if they'll hvae extended mags for it like Kahr does?

I know I wouldn't buy a Ruger LC9 too heavy, and I definitely don't want a safety on this type of gun either, so it's beets that hands down, The Keltec PF9 is another one in the line, very light, one more round, cheaper also, but doesn't have the same pedigree.

Kahr PM9 VS the Nano, I loved my PM9 traded it for a good deal and I'm going to replace it as soon as funds are available. I love the Kahr, even at the high price, to me it's worth every penny, but that being said, some Kahr are finicky, even after the proper brake in period, if the Nano's function flawlessly out of the box or after their required break in period, that's a huge plus, and also, bottom line is I haven't replaced my PM9 yet because I haven't had the bucks, I have access to some great prices, so I think it would only save me about $150 going with the Nano, and that's based on a $400 dollar price on it, I'd probably still go Kahr, but ya never know, I traded my non Cali Kahr P380, absolutely loved it, but I will replace it with a Ruger LCP, it will do the job for $200 dollars less.

Kahr PM9 Specs
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 6+1, 7+1 (magazine with grip extension)
Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
Barrel: 3.0", polygonal rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
Length O/A: 5.42"
Height: 4.0"
Slide Width: .90"
Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Grips: Textured polymer
Sights: Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide
Magazines: 1 each: 6 rd flush floorplate & 7 rd extended grip
MSRP: $786.00 standard silver model,
Normaly around $675-700 in stores?

Nano Specs
Caliber 9mm
Model Number JMN9S15
UPC 082442189543
Overall Length 5.63”
Overall Height 4.17”
Overall Width .90”
Barrel Length 3.07”
Sight Radius 4.92”
Sights 3-Dot Low Profile
Frame Chassis Stainless Steel Insert
Grip Frame Technopolymer
Slide Material 4140
Slide Finish Pronox
Capacity 6 + 1 Rounds
Weight Unloaded 17.67 oz
MSRP $475
hopefully around $399-$429 ??

Sturnovik
09-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Yes, the certainly do, but they really need to move away from the slide mounted safety features.

Slide safeties are always going to have their crowd, I had a 96 and loved the damn thing, I didn't get rid of it because of the safety. I just like consistency, so I figure if most guns are going this direction when relating to the trigger/safety.

And time will tell, they may have a CA model, never know. In any case I dont care to much for it, I'm a snubbie guy if its whole purpose is CCW.

Mr. Beretta
09-17-2011, 10:31 PM
One thing I know, Beretta spends millions on R&D before they release a model. It's obvious, they're going after the "super compact" niche in the LTC market with the introduction of this gun. Seems to me however that Glock and its clones have that area pretty well covered. It reminds me of Ruger's new 1911 pistol. It may be well built and reliable but why another 1911 platform in a very crowded market already full of excellent, proven examples.

I'm sure the gun will run fine and last with proper care but for this old timer, all I can say is nada on the Nano.

LBDamned
09-17-2011, 11:04 PM
I like the fact that Beretta is making an attempt... but I concur with several others that it looks "blocky" (not that anyone termed it that, but implied)...

I'm not concerned about the "look" - but the ergonomics and printing... of course this is solely based on pics and specs - a real determination would be from handling the pistol.

Based on what I can determine as of now - (for me) there are better offerings...

Having that been said; Thank you OP, for posting! It's good to get exposure to alternative options ~ I wouldn't dismiss further consideration if this was available to us...

badpolizei
09-17-2011, 11:36 PM
I can't wait to see if I can get this new Nano to fit in my hands.

LloydXmas250
09-18-2011, 9:10 AM
It's perfect timing for me personally. I'll be getting out of FLETC in December and will be living in AZ. I've been advised (and I was going to anyway) to carry at all times when off duty, as a Federal Agent so I've been looking around at guns this size. There's nothing wrong with too many choices and for whatever reason, Beretta and I have always been happy together. Can't wait to give this one a try.

Bryansix
09-18-2011, 1:16 PM
Yes, they made a striker fired weapon that doesn't require you to squeeze the trigger to take it down. +1

LloydXmas250
09-18-2011, 9:09 PM
Yes, they made a striker fired weapon that doesn't require you to squeeze the trigger to take it down. +1

Funny that's a selling point to you. Most posts I've read about that feature people hate. They don't want a pin that disables the trigger. I'm indifferent to that. Just can't wait to see how this will feel in my hands. Most Berettas fit well on me.

cnj
09-18-2011, 9:30 PM
I like it. If it makes the roster (and depending on the reviews), I am in.

Killawhale415
09-18-2011, 10:16 PM
The chode 9mm by Beretta