09-16-2011, 3:33 PM
Ok here’s what I’m lookin’ for.
Pistol
.22 cal
Fairly accurate
Easy to clean
Durable
EASE OF USE
And finally “fun” to shoot, you guys know what I mean. Just a solid , all-around .22 pistol. Lets here it for your fav!

BC

(as a side note money doesn’t matter when it comes to the gun, but I have this weird thing where if the magazines are too expensive I count that as a “con” on the gun. Makes zero sense because if I’m willing to pay whatever for the gun then nicer mags are part of the gun. It shouldn’t matter, but like I said it’s a pet peeve, and I take care of my pets.)

nimbus
09-16-2011, 4:23 PM
I have a Ruger 22/45. It is awesome and has run over 10k rounds over the two years I have had it. Browning Buckmarks are good too but the Ruger was cheaper.

Kodachrome
09-16-2011, 6:22 PM
I have a couple of Ruger MKII's. Blue and stainless, the aftermarket parts availability is very good with Rugers. Same with magazines. My friend had a Buckmark and had problems trying to find mags for his. It is a very reliable pistol and as for cleaning once you learn the trick for dis-assembly and re-assembly its no problem.
Good Luck.

shooting4life
09-16-2011, 7:02 PM
S&W, no magazines to worry about
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2984.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2977.jpg
Or Dan Weason
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2954.jpg
If you insist on an auto loader then I would get a browning buckmark
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2967.jpg

BajaJames83
09-16-2011, 7:34 PM
take a look at the walther P22, when they first came out they had magazine problems but that has been feixed long time ago, love mine shoots good....

jben
09-16-2011, 7:51 PM
Another vote for the Ruger 22/45.

Less expensive than most of the others. VERY accurate. Controls and grip angle mimic a 1911 so you can practice for cheap.

The only downside to a 22/45 I can think of is mine doesn't like to run dirty.

Red Devil
09-16-2011, 7:53 PM
Have Two (2)...

A Ruger Mk. II automatic w/ the 6-7/8" target Barrel and sights... Simple, easy to field-strip and clean, and shoots Quarters at 25 yards.

And a High Standard Sentinel R-101 9-shot revolver w/ the 4" barrel... my "ugly duckling"... Alloy frame, light weight, and shoots ~ 2"-3" at 25 yards.

Got it at a big-time pawn-shop during a "50%-off-everything" wknd sale a hundred years ago. It was originally $150 so it was marked down to $75. The bore was full of what looked like rust and the gunsmith on site couldn't clean it up even using a brass bore brush... so he sold it to me for $50 bucks. (it was goin' to be a tackle-box pistol anyway) Got it home, put some hoppe's #9 in the bore and soaked it for ~ an hour, ...then ran a stainless steel military 5.56 bore brush through it once. Turns out the fouling was caramelized cardboard fibers and some sort of resin...

...the bore turned out to be damn near brand new w/ zero (0) rust or pitting. :D

It is now my "light" pistol in the field and a lot of fun to shoot at the range.

SandDiegoDuner
09-16-2011, 8:17 PM
I'm partial to the S&W 22A. I've shot a countless ammount of rounds through it and the only part that has let me down was the firing pin after 10 years of shooting. It was a 3 dollar part on brownells and less than 5 mins to fix. It is definitely as accurate as I can shoot (I have hit clays laying on the side of a hill at just over 100 yards away... 5 out of 10 shots with the stock fiber optic sight).

I also like the Buckmark but you have to unscrew the top part of the barrel to remove the slide assembly for cleaning.

If you live in SD I will let you blast away with mine to get a feel for it.

BayouBullets
09-16-2011, 8:20 PM
Ruger mark II, Buckmark for auto's
High standard for cost. Really good revolvers are available, but price will become a factor. There's a reason you keep hearing these exact same answers from everybody, every time someone asks this post.

22popnsplat
09-17-2011, 9:26 AM
I have a ruger mark II that has been worked over and a mark III with all the trick parts in it that at a cost that you could buy a nice used Smith 41 for , I did a trade for a old smith 41 and shot it last weekend and I like it much more than the rugers .

rogervzv
09-17-2011, 6:07 PM
A Ruger Mark is impossible to beat. Not at all hard to clean once you get the hang of it. Wonderful quality weapons. I have three and I'm not done yet!
Ruger Single Ten or Single Six are great fun.

PanaDP
09-17-2011, 6:11 PM
In my opinion, if you get a ruger mark 2 or 3, 22/45, single six, or a 10/22 then you have a good .22 and the right .22.

rogervzv
09-17-2011, 6:50 PM
In my opinion, if you get a ruger mark 2 or 3, 22/45, single six, or a 10/22 then you have a good .22 and the right .22.

Yes, if we are also talking rifles, the 10/22 is iconic.

Go Navy
09-17-2011, 8:49 PM
Ruger Single Six, interchangeable cylinders for either .22LR or .22Mag. (Top handgun in the picture.)

Bullcoop
09-17-2011, 8:52 PM
Agreed. The 10/22 is iconic.

Forgot 1 part of my criteria. As this will be a teaching tool, revolvers are out, I am going to use the firearm mainly for plinkin' and teaching the functions of "standard" semi-auto pistols. I'll explain single vs double action and all the little nuances of different semi-pistols later, I just need one that basically functions like the average g.i. issue pistol.
I dont need to get as fancy as like the .22 conversions of the 1911 for $1300!

Heres is a good example, if the Ruger 22/45 had a "regular" slide it would be perfect.

BC

Go Navy
09-18-2011, 8:03 AM
Agreed. The 10/22 is iconic.

Forgot 1 part of my criteria. As this will be a teaching tool, revolvers are out, I am going to use the firearm mainly for plinkin' and teaching the functions of "standard" semi-auto pistols. I'll explain single vs double action and all the little nuances of different semi-pistols later, I just need one that basically functions like the average g.i. issue pistol.
I dont need to get as fancy as like the .22 conversions of the 1911 for $1300!

Heres is a good example, if the Ruger 22/45 had a "regular" slide it would be perfect.

BC

In that case, how about a Beretta Cheetah?

Norcal Industries
09-18-2011, 8:14 AM
i have the beretta 87, and i love it. easy to strip and clean. looks more like a normal pistol too.

choprzrul
09-18-2011, 8:17 AM
Beretta Neos. Everyone who shoots mine loves it. Great little guns.

Bullcoop
09-18-2011, 8:29 AM
Never even considered Beretta! I have a list of my top 3 or 4 choices and I haven't even checked the Beretta home page! It just simply slipped my mind, and I like Beretta!
I knew I liked this community. Good call.
Happy Football Day
BC

Bakerloo
09-18-2011, 8:30 AM
Ok here’s what I’m lookin’ for.
Pistol
.22 cal
Fairly accurate
Easy to clean
Durable
EASE OF USE
And finally “fun” to shoot, you guys know what I mean. Just a solid , all-around .22 pistol. Lets here it for your fav!

Sounds like you are talking about my Jennings J22!
.22 cal-yes
Fairly accurate-most of the time, the broadside of the barn is a dead man...
Easy to clean-you bet, but why would you?
Durable-mine is about 25 years old..I've shot about 150 rounds in that time!
Ease of use-if you shoot good ammo, it works...if not, no special tools needed. All it takes is your car keys to remove the jam after every single shot.
Fun to shoot- once I figured out the ammo that it likes, it is fun to shoot.

I paid about $45 for the J22 back in the day...Unfortunately, it's too light to be a boat anchor and too small to use as a wheel chock. If you did have to use it for self defense, I reccommend thowing it as hard as you can at the guy's head. It should leave a pretty big lump.

scootergmc
09-18-2011, 8:37 AM

BC

I don't understand. It handles and functions the same, and controls are in the same location as your GI 1911 example. Is it just aesthetics at this point?
Unless you're teaching a bonehead to shoot, the 22/45 is perfect.

XDRoX
09-18-2011, 8:45 AM
Never even considered Beretta! I have a list of my top 3 or 4 choices and I haven't even checked the Beretta home page! It just simply slipped my mind, and I like Beretta!
I knew I liked this community. Good call.
Happy Football Day
BC

It just expired from the list, so you'll have to find a used one.

XDRoX
09-18-2011, 8:49 AM
The P22 or Sig most resemble real combat pistols. I have a P22 that I love to shoot as does everyone else that holds it. Great little gun, so that's what my vote is for. If you can find a used Neos, they are also great guns.
A few of mine:
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/p222.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/P22.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/Neos.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/2245.jpg

Buddhabelly
09-18-2011, 8:52 AM
Gotta say the Ruger Mark ___ is an absolute PITA to put back together. I swear off shooting the gun each time I clean it.

loose_electron
09-18-2011, 8:54 AM
Sig Mosquito if you want something very similar to the Sig P226 or its other big brothers.
With CCI minimags its very reliable.

S&W 22A - I like this with the wood grip option. Shoots anything for ammo.

Bullcoop
09-18-2011, 8:59 AM
The Beretta 87 Cheetah or the Sig Mosquito is probably gonna be the winner!
For my purposes the Jennings only con falls under "ease of use", I have good size hands and the J22 is just a bit small. It would be great to teach with but I wouldnt get to have as much fun when plinkin!
I would go with the Neos but again the way you take it apart to clean it is fairly specific to that gun. It might even be an easier more effecient way to clean the gun, but not the "norm".
I wanna be as generic as possible when it comes to design. If I teach them with a Cheetah, they could figure out pretty quickly how to strip a Sig, or a Glock or S&W or whatever that has essentialy the same design.
I hope I made sense, because I like all the suggestion and would own any of them (I cant wait to get a Ruger single-six I love that gun), but I am buying this gun with a specific purpose in mind so have to follow certian parameters.
Thanks guys,

Bullcoop
09-18-2011, 9:01 AM
I don't understand. It handles and functions the same, and controls are in the same location as your GI 1911 example. Is it just aesthetics at this point?
Unless you're teaching a bonehead to shoot, the 22/45 is perfect.

I agree, handling and function are the same or better in most cases.
Not the same when it comes to design. And design is part of the criteria, for what I need.
BC

Bullcoop
09-18-2011, 9:06 AM

You're friggin' kiddin me! Aaaarrggghh! It just gets so frustrating sometimes...

BC

XDRoX
09-18-2011, 10:16 AM
You're friggin' kiddin me! Aaaarrggghh! It just gets so frustrating sometimes...

BC

I was referring to the Neos. IDK about the other one.

Swift Justice
09-18-2011, 2:54 PM
I have a Roger mk II with bull barrel and a Walter P22. Guess which one gets shot more? The P22 is very ammo-finicky but the Ruger shoots everything.

luckygunner
09-18-2011, 3:47 PM
I really like my S&W 22A. Mine shooting just about anything I've put through it. Only drawback is the funky mag release and the grip is thick.

I do prefer the MKII, but if you want something a bit easier to maintain the 22A is pretty straight forward.

AlbcAlbrr
09-18-2011, 4:56 PM

The 87 is still on the list.

The Neo & the 21A have dropped off in the last year.

beerman
09-18-2011, 8:23 PM
Smith& Wesson model 41.... After finally buying one of these, I sold my Browning and Ruger MKII. They just dont hold a candle to the 41.....I did however eventually pick up another 22 pistol though...You guessed it ,another 41 with a 5" barrel.These guns are awesome