PDA

View Full Version : Who carrys colt 70 series 1911's

evol ways
09-16-2011, 2:27 PM
Looking for my next purchase and looking for a colt 70 series 1911. Went to my local shop I usually go and they don't carry the 70series. Any one know who carrys them?

TIA

morrcarr67
09-16-2011, 2:31 PM
If you're looking for the new ones you will need to call dealers that are stocking guns on the SSE list for they are not on the roster.

If you you're looking for used ones check the for sale section.

evol ways
09-16-2011, 2:39 PM
If you're looking for the new ones you will need to call dealers that are stocking guns on the SSE list for they are not on the roster.

If you you're looking for used ones check the for sale section.

That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for the 100th year anniversary 70 series. I tried messaging Valkerie arms but havnt had no response. Who else does single shot in bay area?

1nickatnite1
09-16-2011, 3:12 PM
As of 2 or 3 weeks ago tracy arms had one in stock

Cyc Wid It
09-16-2011, 3:38 PM
That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for the 100th year anniversary 70 series. I tried messaging Valkerie arms but havnt had no response. Who else does single shot in bay area?

You should call them or visit in person... IIRC those are back-ordered though.

jonzer77
09-16-2011, 5:07 PM
Yeah check with Tracy Arms, they had a stainless one for a while.

Lead Waster
09-16-2011, 5:10 PM
Not a Colt, but thought RIA Tacticals were modelled after the 70 series? I don't know, I'm just spreading FUD.

morrcarr67
09-16-2011, 5:12 PM
Not a Colt, but thought RIA Tacticals were modelled after the 70 series? I don't know, I'm just spreading FUD.

No you're good. The RIA are really modeled after the 1911A1's but close enough. :cool:

evol ways
09-16-2011, 5:41 PM
Yeah check with Tracy Arms, they had a stainless one for a while.

Yea just sent them a PM hoping I can get a blued GI sso I can build it up.

RealBarber
09-16-2011, 8:31 PM
good luck finding one in California, the series 70's this year are sold out everywhere

InGrAM
09-16-2011, 8:33 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250641436

If you were roster exempt, :D. I love this gun, IMO the best colt 1911 ever made.

westcoast362
09-16-2011, 9:19 PM
If you want a series 70, find a used one.
I looked up Colt's 2011 catalog and it was very confusing. It seemed to me that it said that the new series 70's were like the pre-war 1911's. That can't be right.
If the series 80's are so good, why are they making new series 70's.
I remember when the series 70's first came out. As usual the conservative gun community didn't like them. "the fingers on the barrel bushing would break off", "Why do they have to mess with perfection?"
I think that some of the younger folks don't realize that back in the 70's Colt's 1911 was the only brand available. Now days I think my old Aunt Tilly is cranking out 1911's in her garage. In competition with tons of other makers.
I love the real colts.

pyromensch
09-16-2011, 9:36 PM
i carry one, but you can't have it

RealBarber
09-16-2011, 11:05 PM

for the "purists"

redcliff
09-17-2011, 6:23 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=250641436

If you were roster exempt, :D. I love this gun, IMO the best colt 1911 ever made.

Thanks for the link, I don't think I've ever seen a Colt 1911 in 9mm STEYR before.

redcliff
09-17-2011, 6:27 AM
If you want a series 70, find a used one.
I looked up Colt's 2011 catalog and it was very confusing. It seemed to me that it said that the new series 70's were like the pre-war 1911's. That can't be right.
I remember when the series 70's first came out. As usual the conservative gun community didn't like them. "the fingers on the barrel bushing would break off", "Why do they have to mess with perfection?"
I think that some of the younger folks don't realize that back in the 70's Colt's 1911 was the only brand available. Now days I think my old Aunt Tilly is cranking out 1911's in her garage. In competition with tons of other makers.
I love the real colts.

The Colt Series 70 reproduction features Colt Series 70 roll markings but has no firing pin safety and no collet bushing. So other than the markings its very much like a pre 70 series 1911a1.

morrcarr67
09-17-2011, 6:36 AM
Thanks for the link, I don't think I've ever seen a Colt 1911 in 9mm STEYR before.

They are very rare. I believe there only about 100 in the US and would qualify as C&R.

Prior to 1980, Colt was contracted to make 1,000 Series 70 MKIV's (1911-type) in 9mm Steyr caliber for an Italian firearms distributor. Italian laws preclude current military calibers from being sold to the public. There are a number of surplus Steyr-Hahn pistols in Italy due to the pistols captured during WWI and due to the war reparations of weapons from Austria. Note that Fiocci is the only ammunition maker who makes 9mm Steyr ammo on an ongoing basis.

Colt made about 100 extra MKIV's to serve as warranty replacements for the 9mm Steyr pistols. After a period of time, these unused warranty pistols were sold new-in-box in the USA. The magazines as well as the pistols are stamped 9mm Steyr in the usual places.

A 38 Super magazine seems to work quite well in these pistols if you choose to shoot it and want an extra magazine.

If you're thinking about getting one I would get this one: http://www.gunsamerica.com/902396524/Guns/Pistols/Colt-Automatic-Pistols/Colt_9mm_Steyr_new_in_box_rare.htm his price seems to be lower.

westcoast362
09-17-2011, 8:12 PM
Redcliff, thanks for the info, though I don't think it makes Colt's reasoning any clearer. Why wouldn't they use the pre 70 rollmarks? Those guns are more valued than series 70's. Again, thanks for the info, but I'm still confused.

redcliff
09-17-2011, 8:46 PM
Redcliff, thanks for the info, though I don't think it makes Colt's reasoning any clearer. Why wouldn't they use the pre 70 rollmarks? Those guns are more valued than series 70's. Again, thanks for the info, but I'm still confused.

I probably wasn't clear, sorry, let me try to do better. Until the advent of the Series 80, Colt 1911's and 1911a1's didnt have firing pin safety's except for some late 30's pistols that had the Swartz safety. So a Series 70, like almost all pre-70's doesnt have one.

The defining feature of a Series 70 pistol is the collet bushing. It provided a less labor intensive way to improve barrel to bushing fit, and was considerred a significant advancement, at least until people started having problems with the fingers breaking on some of the collet bushings. So ultimately Colt decided to go back to the standard type bushing somewhere in the early 1980's and discontinued the production of collet bushings.

When the Series 80 and later pistols came out, many purists denounced the firing pin safety due to the fact it had some minor effect on trigger pull, and added parts that JMB didn't envision. So the Series 70, with its lack of firing pin safety and enhanced accuracy from the collet bushing became the default standard for the ideal 1911 to many people (and the impetus for the Series 70 reissue). Additionaly the Series 70's have distinctive roll markings that differentiate the pistol from current models at a glance. However, truth be told, theres no denying a firing pin safety can be a good thing for a carry pistol. And, as you stated, the pre Series 70's pistol, if they feature a well fit barrel bushing, with their lack of a firing pin safety and generally better over-all finish and blueing are more desireable pistols but its not always easy to find one, let alone with a well fit bushing. 1950's and 60's production of Colt 1911a1's wasn't as robust as the Series 70 production; the 50's and 60's were the age of the TV western and most everyone wanted a Single-Action Army or Great Western clone; the 1911 experienced a resurgence in the 70's with the founding of the American Pistol Institute by Jeff Cooper and the introduction of IPSC, both in 1976 and "Magnum P.I." in 1980.

When Colt introduced the Series 70 reissue, it copied the roll markings and it deleted the firing pin safety. However collet bushings are no longer manufactured by Colt (or anyone else for that matter that I"m aware of) so they had no choice but to use the standard barrel bushing in the reissue. As to why they chose the Series 70 to reissue I think its probably for the reasons I stated. What I would love to see reissued would be a true pre-war style "National Match" pistol with Royal Blue finish and retro Steven's adjustable sights since original ones sell for in excess of $8k.

And as you probably are aware, technically there is no "Series 70 Commander/Combat Commander" because Commander's use a shorter bushing and they couldnt make a collet bushing that short. Therefore we have "pre Series 80" Commanders and "Series 80" Commanders.

osxgp
09-17-2011, 11:21 PM
I have a Kimber Warrior that is a series 70 style. It was the model before they added the safety to be CA compliant. Without question, the trigger is fantastic. I do have some paranoria about the lack of the firing pin safety though.

Im sure there are some 1911s on the list without the safety...perhaps?

tacticalcity
09-17-2011, 11:25 PM
How can I tell if my Kimber Custom II is series 70 or not?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%201911s/1911_SETUP.jpg

redcliff
09-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, your Kimber doesn't have the Series 80 firing pin safety that affects the trigger pull. It does have a Swartz safety which blocks the firing pin. If properly fitted it shouldn't affect reliability and definitely doesn't affect the trigger pull since its operated by the grip safety, not the trigger.

Kimber Swartz safety:
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/SII_FPB.jpg

Colt Series 80:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg77/scaled.php?server=77&filename=series80safetyzy9.jpg&res=medium

tacticalcity
09-17-2011, 11:48 PM
So its a kinda sorta but not really series 70?

redcliff
09-17-2011, 11:57 PM
So its a kinda sorta but not really series 70?

Exactly!

If you removed all your Swartz safety pieces your trigger pull wouldnt change and it would functionally be the equivalent of a Series 70.

paintballdad
09-18-2011, 8:25 AM
redcliff, thanks for your very informative posts. I'm new to 1911's and wasn't aware of all the subtleties and differences of the platform. Where do Springfield Armory 1911s fit into all this? I'll be picking up a Parkerized Loaded (PX9109LP) and would like to know for the sake of educating myself. Thanks.

redcliff
09-18-2011, 8:32 AM
redcliff, thanks for your very informative posts. I'm new to 1911's and wasn't aware of all the subtleties and differences of the platform. Where do Springfield Armory 1911s fit into all this? I'll be picking up a Parkerized Loaded (PX9109LP) and would like to know for the sake of educating myself. Thanks.

Basically Springfield uses a "Series 70" style ignition, but on most models also uses a titanium 38 super firing pin and heavier firing pin return spring to provide more drop safety. Most also have the ILS system to lock the pistol which is contained in the mainspring housing.