View Full Version : Looking for your thoughts on options for a $1000 1911

09-16-2011, 1:07 PM
Hello, just finished reading Dave Severns 1911 shootout test. Great report, but all but one are $2000+

I'm looking for a 1911 in any MFG but am limited to $1000 for the gun.

Any suggestions for the best overall value on an Out Of The Box 1911 ?

Severns covered the Springfield "loaded" model for just under $1000, but are there others ?

If not much is new in that price range, what are the better models in resale that trade is the $1000 price area ?

Thanks for your suggestions

09-16-2011, 1:21 PM
I have a Springfield Loaded and love it. It is a really good place to start in the 1911 world. I'm sure others will be along with other suggestions, but I say you can't go wrong with the Loaded. You'll also have a little left over for custom grips and some ammo!

Here's a picture, cuz pictures are nice.

09-16-2011, 1:27 PM
I got my Kimber Custom II TLE/RL (used) for $950 + ppt fee, was in good condition with night sights, the accessory rail, and x2 CM 8-round magazines, gun lock, and tupperware box.

If you're looking for a good gun with lots of features rolled into that price range, then I would say that this is a good bet. Just make sure you don't pay more than $1,000 for one unless more sweeteners are thrown in.

09-16-2011, 2:01 PM
Either a new kimber custom II or if you want a good 1911 look at getting a used springfield or something. Kimbers are good guns but have some quality control and finish issues.

Or if you want to save up some cash look at RIAs. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Or save up a little more and get a les bear. Defiantly worth the extra time and cash saved.

09-16-2011, 2:32 PM
Kimber Custom II's are my recommendation. Mine is basically flawless, didn't even need the proverbial " break-in " period. They can be had for around $700 to around $750 brand new.

They basically come loaded with features such as dove-tailed front sight, extended thumb safety, lowered and flared ejection port, rounded speed hammer, beavertail grip safety, long aluminum trigger. They are also known to be well fit in the slide/frame areas with no slop.

Good luck!

09-16-2011, 2:55 PM
Easy --> A stainless S&W SW1911. Out of the box they generally have better fit & finish and a better trigger then the otherwise excellent Springfield Armory "Loaded". They also have a far more rugged implementation of the Swartz firing pin safety than the weak version used by Kimber. Finally they both have a better warranty (lifetime) than Kimber (http://www.kimberamerica.com/warranty) (1 year).

Please note that I'm not a fanboy, I own 1 S&W 1911, 1 Springer, and 2 Kimbers. I just prefer S&W's product.

Gunblast Review (http://www.gunblast.com/SW1911.htm)

09-16-2011, 3:13 PM
You can get a bunch of different 1911's for 1,000$, swing by a store with a decent selection and see what you like.

SA is awesome, had one it shot great for the one I had... I had the entry level 1911 WW2 model. Buddy of mine has the SA loaded.

Colt has some in 1k range... kimber and a few other brands.

09-16-2011, 3:18 PM
If you're willing to buy used, you can get a lot more gun for your grand. I have almost exactly 1k into my Raptor, including fees, dros, grips, extra mags, and magwell/msh. It runs like a top.

09-16-2011, 3:20 PM
whatever you get, make sure its a 70 series. you guys can keep your safetys, lol.

09-16-2011, 6:43 PM
I say a springfield loaded or mil spec even. Depends on what features u want, but I love my mil spec and it will leave a lot of money left for accessories and ammo

09-16-2011, 6:46 PM
Thank you very much for the input.. Looking on the classified and will be at the Cow Palace this weekend