PDA

View Full Version : 10-22 16" .17 HMR barrel?

k1dude
09-16-2011, 12:21 AM
I have a friend looking for a 16" heavy barrel in .17 HMR for his Ruger 10-22. Does anyone know if they exist? All we've been able to find are 18" and 20" barrels.

BSlacker
09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Any decent gunsmith can cut it down. The question is why? If your friend already has the required 10/22 magnum receiver and parts then just shoot 22mag, the .17HMR round doesn't fit the 22lr version of the 10/22, the magnum 10/22 has good value in factory condition. .17 HMR doesn't have a good track record in semi autos. Remington has recalled theirs and most ammo makers don't recommend it in semis. :)

k1dude
09-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't own a 10/22 so I wasn't aware that you can't use the .17 in a .22lr version. I don't know if he's aware of that either. I'll let him know. I don't know what version he has. It only makes sense. I just didn't think hard enough. I imagine the .17 HM2 could be used in the .22lr version.

As far as .17 HMR in semi-auto's, that is incorrect. It all started with poorly designed and executed Remington 597's with a brittle tungsten bolt. Since Remington wound up with egg on their face, they tried to salvage the situation by claiming the .17 HMR is dangerous in ANY semi-auto. That way since they didn't have a .17 semi-auto to compete, they tried to ruin the competition through disinformation. There was no evidence whatsoever to support their claim. The fault was all their own with a poorly designed bolt which any metallurgist would have told you was going to be a problem.

.17 HMR barrels for 10/22's are plentiful, so if it were a semi-auto problem, you wouldn't see the barrels being sold. Trust me, if it were a problem, the barrel manufacturers would dump it in a second. They don't need the liability exposure if it were truly dangerous. It could put them out of business.

Also, Volquartsen, Excel Arms, and Alexander Arms have had .17 HMR semi-auto's for a long time with no problems whatsoever.

k1dude
09-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I checked. He has a .22 WMR 10/22.

Demoni
09-16-2011, 3:39 PM
There are are few companies that have stopped offering the HM2 and HMR conversion kits for the 10/22.

The below articles are good reading regarding the conversions, they reference the HM2 but the same holds true to the HMR.

http://www.eabco.com/ruger1022warnings.htm
http://www.eabco.com/17HM2Testing.htm

I have heard of a few people using HRM ammo in there semi's that have had split cases. However as far as I know none of these people were hurt by the ruptures. You might want to do a bit of digging over on RFC (rimfirecentral) in the HM2 and HMR sections.

Really want to get an HMR my self and was going to do an magnum conversion to an 10.22 but decided I would rather have a bolt action Savage chambered in that caliber.

Mike's Custom
09-16-2011, 3:51 PM
The Ruger 10/22 can not be modded to fire a .17HMR but you can shoot the .17M2 by doing a barrel change and spring and charge handle change. I have built a lot of these with no problems at all. It requires using the correct spring and a correctly weighted charge handle. If you want to build a HMR you will need to use the Ruger 10/22 Magnum and change out the barrel. I can guarentee that if you do find a 10/22 Magunm to convert you will break the bolt before to long. This is the reason Ruger discontinued the 10/22Magnum and people converted them to .17HMR and Ruger had to warrentee to many parts. By the time you find and buy and convert a 10/22 Magnum you may as well buy a Volquartsen in .17HMR and save all the broken and then worthless parts.

BSlacker
09-16-2011, 4:55 PM
Do not use 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms without consulting with your firearms manufacturer. Use of 17 HMR ammunition in semi-automatic firearms may result in serious personal injury or property damage. Directly from the CCI web site. They don't make rifles. They are the maker of most of the worlds 17 HMR ammo. Ruger never made the 10/22 in 17HMR so there is no one to consult. There are reports of case blowouts, splits and bulges resulting in destroyed magazines and damaged rifles. Why would one want to go against the experts at CCI. The problem is not barrel length it is pressure curve. The pressure curve of a 17 HMR is much different than the 22 WMR. Projectile weights are very different. Many people have tried to match the bolt mass and spring tension to make this happen but it takes a high end maker like Magnum Research or Volquartsen to make it right. :)

k1dude
09-16-2011, 7:46 PM
Directly from the CCI web site. They don't make rifles. They are the maker of most of the worlds 17 HMR ammo. Ruger never made the 10/22 in 17HMR so there is no one to consult. There are reports of case blowouts, splits and bulges resulting in destroyed magazines and damaged rifles. Why would one want to go against the experts at CCI. The problem is not barrel length it is pressure curve. The pressure curve of a 17 HMR is much different than the 22 WMR. Projectile weights are very different. Many people have tried to match the bolt mass and spring tension to make this happen but it takes a high end maker like Magnum Research or Volquartsen to make it right. :)

CCI made the claim for liability reasons as a result of the Remington 597. It was purely a defensive move.

This (http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/tiny-17-hmr-titan/) is a good read on the AA .17 HMR with a little info on the problems with the 597.

k1dude
09-16-2011, 7:48 PM
The Ruger 10/22 can not be modded to fire a .17HMR but you can shoot the .17M2 by doing a barrel change and spring and charge handle change. I have built a lot of these with no problems at all. It requires using the correct spring and a correctly weighted charge handle. If you want to build a HMR you will need to use the Ruger 10/22 Magnum and change out the barrel. I can guarentee that if you do find a 10/22 Magunm to convert you will break the bolt before to long. This is the reason Ruger discontinued the 10/22Magnum and people converted them to .17HMR and Ruger had to warrentee to many parts. By the time you find and buy and convert a 10/22 Magnum you may as well buy a Volquartsen in .17HMR and save all the broken and then worthless parts.

My friend has a .22 mag 10/22. Interesting info on the bolt and other misc parts. I'll have to do some homework and pass the info along. Thanks.