PDA

View Full Version : Buying a handgun online

medium
09-15-2011, 9:28 PM
Howdy,

I'm still shopping for my first gun (a dead car battery, a fat speeding ticket and the death of my car a/c slowed down my purchase...) and I was wondering how the online purchase precedure works.

For example, if I get a CA roster handgun on guns america; do I pay whatever it is (price, shipping, and all the extra fees) and the seller sends it to a licenced firearms dealer. From there, do I go and pay the transfer fee and whatever fees that the dealer may charge me? Or Do I pay everything all at once and my gun gets shipped to a dealer; I wait 11 days and I go pick it up?

Seems like the pricing online is much better comparing to the stores around my area

thank you very much

Oceanbob
09-15-2011, 9:51 PM
Some receiving FFLs here in California charge $75 to over $100 for an out of State transfer. Just be sure and add that in the final cost.

Sometimes it pays to ASK a local FFL is they will price match or at least come down to a realistic price.

I did that recently; I approached a well known FFL here in Southern California and asked if he would match a price I found on GunBroker.

He looked at the material I had printed; made a phone call and then said 'Sure'.

Also be aware that some dealers simply don't get the same discount as the large wholesalers. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Be sure and ask quietly when no customers are around. :cool2:

Good luck and WELCOME TO CAL GUNS...!..A nice bunch of people here...:)

Bob

Howdy,

I'm still shopping for my first gun (a dead car battery, a fat speeding ticket and the death of my car a/c slowed down my purchase...) and I was wondering how the online purchase precedure works.

For example, if I get a CA roster handgun on guns america; do I pay whatever it is (price, shipping, and all the extra fees) and the seller sends it to a licenced firearms dealer. From there, do I go and pay the transfer fee and whatever fees that the dealer may charge me? Or Do I pay everything all at once and my gun gets shipped to a dealer; I wait 11 days and I go pick it up?

Seems like the pricing online is much better comparing to the stores around my area

thank you very much

bsg
09-15-2011, 9:57 PM
Some receiving FFLs here in California charge $75 to over $100 for an out of State transfer. Just be sure and add that in the final cost.

Sometimes it pays to ASK a local FFL is they will price match or at least come down to a realistic price.

I did that recently; I approached a well known FFL here in Southern California and asked if he would match a price I found on GunBroker.

He looked at the material I had printed; made a phone call and then said 'Sure'.

Also be aware that some dealers simply don't get the same discount as the large wholesalers. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Be sure and ask quietly when no customers are around. :cool2:

Good luck and WELCOME TO CAL GUNS...!..A nice bunch of people here...:)

Bob

good advise.

medium... good luck on getting your first gun.

medium
09-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks guys!

novalondon
09-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Once you have found the weapon you want,,,,Get to your FFL first, repeat, FIRST, before you buy it and work out ALL the details before making the purchase.

medium
09-18-2011, 1:18 PM
Thanks guys!

I also saw a link on guns america that shows the approximate out of state fees that the ffls around my area could charge

skosh69
09-18-2011, 2:20 PM
Don't forget about the tax! You'll pay CA sales tax when you go to pick it up, atleast that's what my LGS told me when I inquired about bringing in a gun from out of state, by the way...my LGS only charges $35!!!

LBDamned
09-18-2011, 5:34 PM
^^^ at the risk of starting an off topic debate (it's happened with this topic before)... not all FFL dealers charge tax - the five I've bought online were gun price + shipping ($6-$30 depending on who you use) + $75 (DROS & FFL) - used two different FFL dealers...

this isnt an invitation for all the "they are supposed to charge tax or big brother will get them" debates... it's just a fact based on my online purchases...

sequoia_nomad
09-18-2011, 5:40 PM
If it is purchased from an out of state seller with no physical storefront location in Ca there is no sales tax required, rather, you are supposed to report it on your state taxes as "use tax". There is no sales tax collected on interstate transactions.

halifax
09-18-2011, 5:46 PM
If it is purchased from an out of state seller with no physical storefront location in Ca there is no sales tax required, rather, you are supposed to report it on your state taxes as "use tax". There is no sales tax collected on interstate transactions.

And this is the kind of statement that starts the debate.

sequoia_nomad
09-18-2011, 5:50 PM
Not starting a debate, just stating fact. Example: ever seen mail order ads that say something like "Texas residents add x% sales tax" and the company is in Texas? That's why.

skosh69
09-18-2011, 6:07 PM
^^^ at the risk of starting an off topic debate (it's happened with this topic before)... not all FFL dealers charge tax - the five I've bought online were gun price + shipping ($6-$30 depending on who you use) + $75 (DROS & FFL) - used two different FFL dealers...

this isnt an invitation for all the "they are supposed to charge tax or big brother will get them" debates... it's just a fact based on my online purchases...

And this is the kind of statement that starts the debate.

Not starting a debate, just stating fact. Example: ever seen mail order ads that say something like "Texas residents add x% sales tax" and the company is in Texas? That's why.

Hey guys, didn't mean to start anything...just stating what my LGS/FFL told me, that's all! It's obvious, some FFL's will charge you for tax and some won't.

Like a someone pointed out earlier, ask questions from the FFL prior to buying the gun so that you'll know all the fees that you will have to pay!

Again, my intent was not to start an argument here!!!

MrOrange
09-18-2011, 6:45 PM
Don't forget about the tax! You'll pay CA sales tax when you go to pick it up, atleast that's what my LGS told me when I inquired about bringing in a gun from out of state, by the way...my LGS only charges $35!!!

Well don't keep quiet about it, man! Where that be? The find-an-FFL features on GB and AA don't show anybody in Concord, the closest is Martinez at $50, and the next dealer charges $135.

So, yeah, definitely something to keep in mind when bargain-hunting online. If you're not in a hurry and can wait for the rare item with no reserve, low starting price and low buyer interest, you can score some good deals. I recently bought a NIB Ruger P95 for $260. I missed a used Smith 4006 in decent shape that went for $245.

Other things to check:

A lot of sellers refuse to sell to California, regardless of the legality of the item. If there are hi-cap mags included with the gun, the seller might be willing to break them down into rebuild kits for you. If not, SOL.

Most sellers put something in their listings like "Price reflects cash discount, add 3% for credit card payment."

Be sure to look at the shipping costs, those can vary quite a bit from seller to seller.

Once you clear things with your receiving FFL, buy the thang and send payment to the seller for the sale price plus shipping.

Give your chosen dealer the seller and product info and he'll contact the seller to give them the info they need to ship.

It's real easy for busy sellers to have problems connecting the product, payment, and buyer and FFL info. I'll include a print-out of the auction listing and at least a reference to the dealer & his shipping address, if not another copy of his FFL, along with the payment

Again, my intent was not to start an argument here!!!
Ah, dreamers!

I've read on Calguns that some dealers use the rule of thumb that if the seller includes a receipt with the gun, then they charge sales tax, if not, then they don't.

TMcC
09-18-2011, 8:10 PM
You mentioned this would be your first handgun. If you don't already have a Handgun Safety Certificate figure on spending another $25 (one time fee for a five year card). Unrelated to the online sale, but still a requirement for handgun purchases.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

dirtracer27x
09-19-2011, 9:28 AM
just bought a sw .40 off GB,everything seems to be going smooth.called around for my local ffl and was alittle shocked at the transfer prices.some were over $100 lol.basicaly the shops will charge whatever it cost to make there gun the same price it seems,except for Guns Fishing & Other Stuff here in vacaville,there charge $100 plus dros and tax and dealer fee,wich on top of there already high prices,makes tranfering to them outrageous.found afanas guns and ammo in vacaville is doing tranfers for $65 and it includes dros,add tax and your out the door.super nice people.so in the vacaville/fairfield area i think they are very reasonable

Flintlock Tom
09-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Does that $35 include the $25 DROS? If so, that is the best transfer/DROS I have seen.
Do you mind sharing the name of the store?