PDA

View Full Version : CBP Officers chime in please

Molby242
09-15-2011, 4:25 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted. I've gone through 4 pages of searched material for anything related with CBP.

I've recently started in the application process and thought I'd start a thread to get some tips and have questions answered along the process. I don't have any immediate family or friends who work in the department so I don't have anyone to ask these sorts of questions.

I am scheduled for the test next month, and was wondering if that is all I will be doing that day (take the test) or are any other parts of the hiring process included (VBT, SI, Fitness Test, etc)? I am also assuming I should show up in proper business attire (suit, tie, whole 9)?

Thanks in advance to any officers willing to help.
Feel free to ask a question of your own if you're in the process and have questions needing answered.

Falconis
09-15-2011, 7:49 PM
Have you called their backgrounds and recruiting section to find out? They will usually be more apt to answer questions like that as things may change since someone here has last taken the exam.

ankyle62
09-15-2011, 8:15 PM
The exam is given by the OPM people, the last three exams Ive had were the same exact test administrators(CBP, Immigration Services, and BP). I took the BP test today btw. It really doesnt matter what you wear to those tests in my opinion. You will see people in suits and some people in PT gear, there really isnt anyone to impress there like there would be at a local PD testing.

It takes about 6-7 weeks to get the results from the written. They will email you with instructions to fill out a bunch of paperwork to mail off to them, finger print cards(cost me 40 dollars wow), and some electronics background stuff to do.

That's where Im at now. Im also interested to hear about the VBT.

ankyle62
09-16-2011, 6:45 AM
BTW Just got my letter for the VBT, which is scheduled about month and a half after you receive your written results.

Cardinal Sin
09-30-2011, 7:29 PM
My friend, you are about to embark on one hell of a journey. Depending on the hiring tempo, budget, etc your process may be fast tracked or slow. However, in the end, it is worth it!

I know things have changed a bit but . . .

Dress business casual. I have seen where the guy who is there for your test turns out to be your Field Training Officer two years later and they somehow remember what you wore to the test. Be professional from the beginning and you’ll avoid problems later.

Study the material that they give you.

If you opted for the artificial language test then study the crap out of it. If you opted for Spanish language test then study the crap out of it. I have seen native speakers fail the test. The language test is to see if you have the ability to learn the rules, (structure, syntax, logical order, etc.), of a foreign language, (made up or real). What you learn around the neighborhood is not what they are looking for in the test.

The other test I don’t remember but basic police exam prep books should get you in the right frame of mind.

Depending if you are fast tracked or not you may have the interview within a couple days. Dress is suit and tie. You will be asked some scenario questions during the interview. They are not necessarily looking for the correct answer, (they know you aren’t trained yet), but they are looking for you to make a definite decision.

Again, depending on how fast the process is going you may be given the background packet at the end of the test or at the interview. Start completing the paperwork ASAP and turn it in as completely as possible and ahead of the deadline.

At some point you’ll have to do medical screening and physical test.

I believe now everybody gets polygraphed. Before it was random.

When you meet the background investigator tell them everything and be honest. If your investigator is good and fair then you'll be fine as long as you put the info in the background packet and spoke with the investigator. You’ll be surprised the things people have done and still were hired because they were honest about it.

Monitor your email (spam folder too) for updates, contact attempts etc. They will not jump through hoops to contact you so you better be vigilant and occasionally check in to see where things are.

If all is good you’ll get a job offer and if you are lucky you’ll get a choice of stations to choose from. Pick one and if there isn’t a choice then take it anyway. If you pass on it and wait you might not hear from them again.

Before going to the academy you'll have to do a physical fitness test similar to most police agencies. Just make sure you can complete the test even on your worst day. Saw quite a few people get to this stage and fail. It sucks. Don't be one of them.

I know the process has changed some but check out: http://www.honorfirst.com/
Good place to ask questions and get info.

fmxmyway
09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Approximately how much of the test was logical reasoning, assessment of job related experiences and achievements, and how much of it was language? Did each section have an equal part?
Was the LRT seem more difficult or easier than the practice questions on the practice exam?
Is the "assessment of job related experiences and achievements" portion of the test a personality type test or are they looking for specific backgrounds to weed people out? Sorry for all the questions.

Cardinal Sin
10-01-2011, 9:25 AM
Hmm. Better to ask at: honorfirst.com

I can't give you an accurate answer and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction.

Nefarious
10-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Are you going blue (CBP) or green (BP)
In one of the posts below they mentioned the artificial language test .. which leads me to believe you are going green

Its been a while since I took the inital entrance exam.. but I do remember it was a couple hours to complete. I do not remember receiving any "pratice" material, but in all honesty the test is not that bad anyway. Personally I dressed business casual, but I do remember seeing some people show up in shorts. So its up to you. Once you pass the initial test.. I do strongly recommend business/business casual

After the test you will receive a huge packet. Fill it out right away (uhhh I think im just repeating what cardinal sin has stated below lol).

Theres a handfull of things you need to do in that packet. Before you had an oral interview with 3 officers - When I went it was video based. One of the new officers stated they had a face to face... so its all changing. Easy pt test.

Nothing to be fearfull of with your background investigator - just be honest and truthfull

The academy is a little longer than it used to be, there has been a couple of additions, I am still not too sure about a poly (we have had about 20 new hires that just came back from the academy and 8 or so pre academy employees and non had a poly)

mmmm are there any specific questions you have

Edit: There will be no other testing assigned to you that day. When you pass the written test, you will receive your packet with all the "other" tests you will need to complete

Edit x2: I dont know how the assessment of job related experiences and achievements plays into the hiring for your GS level. Ive seen lots of people with a degree, prior leo, military come on as a GS-5

Laser Sailor
10-02-2011, 2:30 PM
Currently just waiting for the BG to clear myself. I've been in the process about a year now, and it seems I took a step every 2-3 months.

My order of events went..

Written Test > Oral Board > Medical/1st Physical > Meet with BG Investigator > Drug Test

I think the Polygraph is at about 30% of applicants right now with a goal of 100% by 2013.

As for the Oral Board all I can say (without breaking a NDA) is don't dress in anything less than a suit and tie. There were about 20 of us at the Oral Board and the two guys that showed up in slacks and polos failed.