PDA

View Full Version : Is My GSA CLASS 5 Safe Good Enough For Doj Specs ?

SemiAutoSam
01-30-2007, 6:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out if this safe I bought at a Military base auction is good enough specs for the DOJ and their requirements of what we use to store our weapons.

Pics below of what it looks like.

GSA Class 5 Containers:

"Class 5 containers are typically used for storage of weapons and sensitive items such as funds, jewels, precious metals, etc. Class 5 containers may also be used for storage of classified documents, components, materials, and equipment. They provide the same protection as Class 6 plus ten minutes against forced entry attack. Class 5 containers come in several types: file cabinet, map and plan, weapon storage, COMSEC, and IPS."

Please Note: Unless you have a specific requirement to the contrary, under most circumstances, Class 5 security is not required for storage of classified documents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are four different types of Class 5 containers which are commonly available:

1. Class 5 filing cabinets, available in two and four drawer configurations. Five drawer filing cabinets are not available in Class 5 security at this time

2. Class 5 Map Plan Containers, available empty, or fitted with a variety of inserts to accommodate filing drawers, shelves, weapons and ammunition storage drawers, as well as several variations of pull out weapons carts, capable of securing up to 32 long weapons.

3. Class 5 General Purpose Container, available empty, or with several interior options including shelves and drawers.

4. Class 5 Information Processing Systems (IPS) Containers.

The following table lists the basic approximate shipping weights and dimensions of the various GSA Rated Class 5 Containers:

Description Weight (LB) Dimensions
Class 5 Two Drawer Container 590 25 x 21 x 28.5"
Class 5 Four Drawer Container 980 49 x 21 x 28.5"
Class 5 Map Plan Container (Empty) 1080 51 x 22 x 39"
Class 5 General Purpose Container 520 29 x 22 x 24"
Class 5 IPS Container 1230 51 x 22 x 35"

If you determine you have a requirement for a Class 5 container, please note these units are quit heavy. Consideration must be given to placement and installation access, as well as the ability of the floor structure of your building, or ship, to support one, or more, containers. When ordering, you must be specific as to exactly where the container is to be placed, with regard to elevators, stairs, etc, as well as the unloading facilities, i.e. docks, forklifts, present at your location. If special delivery services are required, and available in your area, these plans must be made at the time your order is placed.

If you are ordering a Class 5 filing cabinet, the only option to consider is color. All of our containers are available in Gray, Black or Parchment. Grey is the most common color, and normally is more readily available from stock.

For Map Plan containers, especially GSA Rated Class 5 Weapons Containers, there are a number of options to consider. There are two different configurations of weapons container, both with variations. The first would be a container in which the weapons are stored in pull out drawers. In this arrangement it is possible to outfit the container with up to seven drawers, each capable of accepting either pistols, long guns or ammunition. In the second configuration, the container is equipped with a weapons cart., which racks out and allows quick access to your weapons. There are two styles of carts available, the first accommodating up to 32 M-16s, or similar weapons. The second is the State Department Cart, accepting 16 M-16s, or similar, on one side and features shelves, for pistols or additional ammunition, on the other side. Both configurations are available with dual, top mounted, ammunition boxes. For complete information, as well a photos of various configurations please download this brochure.

The GSA Rated Class 5 Information Processing Systems (IPS) Container is manufactured to a Class 5 rating under Federal Specification AA-C-2786 for protection of classified information and materials. These units are designed to give closed door protection to operating computer systems and related components. Standard 19" rack mount components are accepted, including shelves, drawers and other standard accessories. A secure cable box maintains equipment protection while allowing for cable and cord hook-up from outside the safe. The unit also segregates your equipment from potentially harsh outside conditions by providing a heat exchanger to dissipate accumulated heat from inside the cabinet. This greatly reduces the introduction of dust, moisture and other potentially corrosive environmental elements leading to reduced maintenance and, overall, much equipment cleaner operation.

http://www.gsacontainer.com/productphotos/GSACL5MP.JPG
http://www.gsacontainer.com/productphotos/GSACL5WL32.jpg
http://www.gsacontainer.com/productphotos/IPSContainer.JPG

Matt C
01-30-2007, 6:50 PM
CA requires:

Regulatory Gun Safe Standards

DOJ regulatory standards require a gun safe to meet either:

All of the following requirements:

1. Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage;
2. Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength;
3. Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock;
4. Shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction;
5. Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.

or

All of the following requirements:

1. Is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;
2. Is able to fully contain firearms;
3. Provides for the secure storage of firearms.

You should be good to go.

SemiAutoSam
01-30-2007, 6:58 PM
Well the hinges are on the outside as you can see in the pics but they could be cut off and wouldn't allow the safe to open unless the lock was opened.

The thing weighs over 1000 lbs.

The only drawback is its not insulated but the walls and door on it are over 1 inch thick.

Matt C
01-30-2007, 7:05 PM
You could always line it with drywall/fireboard/gypsum(all the same stuff) and cover that with some sheet metal, it would give you about 30 minutes of fire protection, good enough if you live in a city with a decent FD close by. Also, you would need to change out the seals on the door to the Palusol heat expanding type. An easy one day DIY project.

Edited to add: OR, you could get one of those cheap sentry home depot firesafes for your documents, normally they don't work but they will do the job if place inside the larger safe.

mike100
01-31-2007, 6:35 AM
Is it DOJ approved? show off:D

how much did you get it for?

SemiAutoSam
01-31-2007, 6:42 AM
Well not to show off or anything I mainly wanted a secure safe to store things of value. I lucked out as 2 of them have the slide out rifle racks.

And I bought 4 of them the pics shown are just generic pics that I found on the net at the website listed above.

I paid on average 150.00 each I hauled 2 of them in the back of one of my 1 ton Chevy trucks and the other 2 in the trailer that I pulled behind the truck.

So in total I had about 4K Lbs to drag home.

SunriseF150
01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Nice find

junior40er
09-18-2015, 8:31 PM
Nice, looking to pick one up as well