PDA

View Full Version : Sig 226 ~ .40cal to 9mm Conversion ~ Possible?

.40Cal
09-15-2011, 9:20 AM
Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a 226 in a 40 cal. But would like to convert it to a 9mm for range & Home defense purpose. In fact, I'd be using it as a 9mm most of the time. ......40 cal would be just for fun, and very rarely.....

Question: is the conversion reliable, safe, and accurate? Or should I just go for 9mm? I like the idea of both calibers. But like I said, 9mm most of the time for range & HD.

Thanks!

Rangda
09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I have seem many 226 40s&w converted to 9mm with aftermarket conversion barrel. But most people also stated they will only use the 9mm as range shooting.

Either way I believe there is only one way to find out. Try it and let us know what you think.

:mnl:

Sturnovik
09-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a 226 in a 40 cal. But would like to convert it to a 9mm for range & Home defense purpose. In fact, I'd be using it as a 9mm most of the time. ......40 cal would be just for fun, and very rarely.....

Question: is the conversion reliable, safe, and accurate? Or should I just go for 9mm? I like the idea of both calibers. But like I said, 9mm most of the time for range & HD.

Thanks!

Hard choice. In the end I love both of those rounds but its preference. I think if this is your first Sig, your better off with the 9mm. You will probably end up shooting it more often. I get a .40 Sig next, have a 9mm, love it to death. Those conversion kits are neat, the .22 one is sweet. I recommend you only use it for range use and nothing else, they aren't as reliable as the caliber it was meant for.

If you get a .40 though its a great choice as well. I didn't mind the price difference, 1-4 bucks depending on where you buy from.

skale240
09-15-2011, 11:55 AM
There are two ways to convert it, aftermarket drop-in barrel like Rangda says or the complete slide assembly w/9mm barrel from Sig. I bought the bar-sto drop in and it looked like it needed to be fitted (not all just drop in and work) so I sold it and went for the complete slide conversion. No problems with it at all. I now have all the calibers for my 226 and all function flawlessly.

vincnet11
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks!Sig makes a slide conversion kit with the entire upper and a magazine for $356. Its reliable as getting a new gun.

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/centerfire-x-change-kit-387.aspx

PandaLuv
09-15-2011, 1:09 PM
I'd just buy another gun. You can buy a 9mm slide, but they come around rarely.

gadjeep
09-15-2011, 1:44 PM
I have a 229R with the bar-sto drop in barrel and it works flawlessly. The 40sw mags feed 9mm no problem. I've put close to 1500 rds of miwall cheapies through it without incident.

The one thing you'll want to change is the recoil spring. It 40sw comes with a pretty firm one from the factory and from time to time I'd get failures to lock back at empty may (short stroking) so I replaced it with one 2 lbs lighter than factory from Wolff via midway and perfection ever since.

Briancnelson
09-15-2011, 1:46 PM
Buy yourself a 9mm if you intend to shoot 9mm most of the time. If you want a .40 later, save up for it.

It's better getting one purpose made reliable gun than halfassing it for range purposes.

bigmark408
09-15-2011, 1:55 PM
For the money you will spend you can buy a glock in 9mm, .40 , .45.

Leadingall
11-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I got a barsto barrel to convert my 226st .40 to 9mm. It didnt fit straight off the bat, so I had to send the barrel along with my pistol back to barsto to have it fitted, (which was not cheap). Anyhow, I got it back and it cranked through 9mm rounds like butter and I have to say the barrel was unbelievably accurate. If you're still considering the .40 to 9 conversion through barsto and have the $ to spend, it really makes the 226 a unique gun in the collection; I LOVE mine! OR you could just pick up a flock with a lone wolf conversion barrel (less $ and less fuss) and still have enough left over the buy yourself a happy meal.