PDA

View Full Version : Almost had an accident the other day

tteng
01-30-2007, 3:20 PM
I was shooting my reloads out of my 03A3 last Saturday at Chabot. Everything was going well, and then I heard a 'click' when I pulled the trigger. I had a FTF, so I pulled the bolt back and only the case came out. The primer had a dimple, so it went off (I didn't hear it). I might of spilled the unignited powder when I ejected the case, but I didn't notice. So I pulled the bolt, and there it was: the bullet was stuck in the barrel. No big deal, I inserted my cleaning rod from the muzzle and tap it w/ a hammer. Out it went, and I continued my shooting.

It wasn't until I went home and thought about it- If I havn't check the case, and did REMEMBER I ejected the previous case (I scope-check my hits in between shots and possible forgot to eject the spent), I might of just chamber another cartridege and blow up my rifle in my face.

I think what happened/and could-of is this,
1. The primer went off, the powder didn't. But it was enough to shovel the bullet in about 1/4" or so (could tell by the bearing mark on the bullet)
2. Since I don't crimp my reloads, it is possible to chamber another round: because the stuck-bullet will push the new bullet into its case if I smack the bolt hard enough, given the plenty room of 30-06 cartridge.

Lesson learned.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-30-2007, 3:36 PM
There was no powder in the case..... if there was enough bang in the primer to send the bullet into the throat.. it would have set off the powder charge.. same thing happened to one of my HP shooters Saturday at Chabot 3rd relay 8th shot offhand.... only heard a click.. bullet was into the lands real good.... no powder charge........

shooterx10
01-30-2007, 3:36 PM
That's called a squib load in some shooting circles. Thank God you stopped shooting and checked your rifle! :eek:

Matt C
01-30-2007, 4:14 PM
These were YOUR reloads, or factory reloads?

tteng
01-30-2007, 4:26 PM
Mine, and I swore I eyeballed my powder level on the charge block w/ overhead light before I seated the bullet. The charge is 45gr of WC846 (from a RCBS powder thrower) behind 150gr speer SP. It's a mild load, but I didn't think it's under loaded. Is it possible for under-charged load not to ignite, but blown into the barrel by the primer ignition?

Matt C
01-30-2007, 4:31 PM
Mine, and I swore I eyeballed my powder level on the charge block w/ overhead light before I seated the bullet. The charge is 45gr of WC846 (from a RCBS powder thrower) behind 150gr speer SP. It's a mild load, but I didn't think it's under loaded. Is it possible for under-charged load not to ignite, but blown into the barrel by the primer ignition?

Not if the bullet was seated properly. Bottom line, yes, you are VERY lucky not have had a ka-BOOM. I bet in the future you will be much more carefull.

edwardm
01-30-2007, 4:32 PM
I bought some of that American brand ammo from Cabelas a while back (or maybe it was SG, I forget now) for my M1 Carbine. Out of 600 rounds, we had at *least* 11 squibs in the first 150 and stopped using it. The rest is in my basement waiting to be taken apart and put back together properly.

The moral: it can happen with handloads, reman ammo, or even new ammo.

Yute
01-30-2007, 9:17 PM
Err.. Was it Amerc?

ghostwong
01-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I did the same one time reloading some .45 and 9mm. heard the click and the nada. No power but the round got shoved up into barrel, Thank God for chopsticks and a make shift hammer.

tankerman
01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I avoid using a loading block. I think thats where a lot of people make mistakes, miss a case or get distracted or add one thats not charged and you've got a problem.
Prep and size, throw the powder then seat, then do the next round. Unless you're using ball it should be pretty easy to see if the charge size looks wrong.

eckerph
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
The moral: it can happen with handloads, reman ammo, or even new ammo.

Yup, I have had this happen to me several times with the UMC (250 packs) brand of ammo from wally world.

ghostwong
01-31-2007, 12:19 AM
On commerical stuff?? That sucks

edwardm
01-31-2007, 6:51 AM
Yes, that's it.

Err.. Was it Amerc?

ocabj
01-31-2007, 6:58 AM
I avoid using a loading block. I think thats where a lot of people make mistakes, miss a case or get distracted or add one thats not charged and you've got a problem.
Prep and size, throw the powder then seat, then do the next round. Unless you're using ball it should be pretty easy to see if the charge size looks wrong.

I use a loading block. I keep the primed brass in one tray or box. When I had weigh the charge, I put the case in the loading block, funnel, and put the powder in.

After I fill up the loading block (50 spaces), I use a Surefire E1L and visually scan all of the cases to make sure there's powder in there.

Pistol I just hand throw out of the measure, and put in the block. Then same visual check.

Ninja45
02-02-2007, 1:29 PM
Squib loads? The result of carelessness or inattention to detail.

I had a couple (or so) in my 25 years of reloading and had to replace a bulged barrel on a 1911 on one occasion because I was in a hurry to empty a magazine on a killer paper target!

Anytime you hear a click instead of a bang, wait about 5 seconds (in case of deayed ignition), open action, remove any live ammo (mags or individual rounds), check for any barrel obstructions, clear obstruction using a cleaning rod with the appropriate caliber jag and oil soaked patch. Run a couple more dry patches after the obstruction is removed.

Ninja45

Tzvia
02-03-2007, 8:30 PM
I use two loading blocks. One holds the empty cases, neck down. When I am ready to charge a case, I move it to the other block, neck up and immediatly put my funnel on it. Charge then remove the funnel. Grab another empty case and repeat. When I have the block fully charged, I check each case.

Where I really weenie out is after I am finished loading. I weigh each completed round. Doesn't take long, and a typical rifle round with a squib or double charge is real noticeable.

Knock on wood, over 10 years and no problems yet.