PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!! S&W Model 41

Speed_Freak
09-14-2011, 7:26 PM
Hi everyone im sorta new on here but i could really use some help.. I have 2 22's that need some attention... But the model 41 i care about more because it was my fathers..

so as i fire a round through it and the slide comes back and ejects the spent casing to load another, the slide will not close fully to be ready to fire again.

it has been cleaned thoroughly multiple times... i think my other option is to take every single part off the gun and clean each part.. however i dont have a detail on how to start or how to reassemble it...

my other option is a gunsmith but i dont know of any in the bay area.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,
matt

taloft
09-14-2011, 7:29 PM
weak recoil spring? I'm guessing the recoil spring is spent and unable to return the slide into battery. Will the slide close if released while the gun is unloaded?

CC Gunsmithing
09-14-2011, 7:34 PM
^^^ +1

socalblue
09-14-2011, 8:26 PM
Yup, if it chambers the round then recoil spring is the likely culprit as the Model 41 is a blow back action.

One can damage a Model 41 by shooting HV ammo (slide slap) without the appropriate recoil spring. That could be an issue too.

Speed_Freak
09-14-2011, 8:29 PM
So basically what happens is it slides forward all the way but when it hits it bounces back about 1/8 of an inch therefor not closed all the way.

DVSmith
09-14-2011, 8:37 PM
As mentioned above, the cheapest and most likely fix is to replace the recoil spring. I have one of these myself, great little gun. You will get generations of use out of it. At total tack driver also.

CC Gunsmithing
09-14-2011, 8:43 PM
since the spring isn't strong enough to hold the slide in battery after firing a shot, and chambering the new round...

So basically what happens is it slides forward all the way but when it hits it bounces back about 1/8 of an inch therefor not closed all the way.

c good
09-14-2011, 9:01 PM
recoil spring as others have mentioned. Or a bad magazine. It might be worth trying a different mag first. The move on to the new recoil spring.