PDA

View Full Version : Friend needs an FFL to bring gun back into CA. Help?

krby
01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Need some quick help:

A friend of mine needs to transport a handgun into California from another state. He's moving back here next weekend. He is flying and doesn't want to go thru the hassle of checking the handgun in at the airport. I did some research and suggested that he UPS it and just address it to himself. Well, the local UPS depot told him "no". So, he went to gun store out there to see if they would mail it to him in CA. So far, the store there said they would only do FFL<->FFL transfer.

This sucks, and I've told him to insist what he's doing is legal. But I'd like to have some contact info for an FFL in the S.F. Bay Area that would let him transfer the gun to them from out of state. Also, an idea what you might charge for this would be nice.

To be clear: Nothing fishy going on here. He lived in CA, "registered" the gun with CA DOJ (the declaration of ownership, he has a letter from DOJ saying "sure".). Then moved to another state (he travelled by car when he moved away). He is moving back this weekend. No change of ownership. I would send him to Reed's because it's the shop I'm most familiar with, but IIRC, they aren't really big on transfers. I though Irvington Arms or someone else might be.

PM or reply here, thanks!

Biff...
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
off the top of my head. Can he break down the gun into several pieaces and ship UPS and state he is shipping machined parts. Do you really have to tell UPS what the exact thing that you are shipping is.

krby
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I mentioned that. He's not comfortable with that.

bwiese
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
You allowed to send your own guns to yourself. (He did acquire it in the other state while he was a true resident of that state, didn't he? If he's a CA resident, he shouldn't be touching the gun at all.)

UPS/Kinko's may not allow that but a master UPS office should. It'll cost money though.

Why is he afraid to fly with it as declared luggage? I fly with 2-3 guns all the time, sometimes an AR and a FAL and a Glock or 2 ARs, etc. etc.

Never any problem, and it gets me thru check-in *faster* because I get diverted into the 'special luggage' line...

krby
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
This will sound fishy, but I swear it's not. He was a CA resident. He got the gun in CA and has the paperwork to prove it. Fast forward to last year, he moved to a new state. Drivers' licenese, utilities everything. No more ties in CA at all. Fast forward to now, he's coming back. Same thing, no ties to the other state. Not trying to pull dual-residency or anything.

He went to the UPS hub not a local 'UPS store'.

bweise, you feel like doing a transfer? Can I give him your contact info so he can call you?

What does he need to do for the airline? Can he just use the plastic case the gun came in? Where can he get a TSA lock? I'm doing the leg work because a) I'm a friend who is sorta nowledgable on CA gun laws (more importantly I know who to ask) b) he's busy/stressed.

Matt C
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
bweise, you feel like doing a transfer? Can I give him your contact info so he can call you?

What does he need to do for the airline? Can he just use the plastic case the gun came in? Where can he get a TSA lock? I'm doing the leg work because a) I'm a friend who he thinks it knowledgable on CA gun laws, b) he's busy/stressed.

Ummm, I don't think Bill has an FFL. Anyway, just put it (unloaded of course), into a locked container (hardsided, it can be any kind of lock, I use TSA "approved" locks so I don't have to follow it around). That locked container can go into regular softsided (checked, obviously) luggage. Like Bill, I take guns with me everytime I'm on a plane, it's no big deal, even in CA airports.

tgriffin
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
What does he need to do for the airline? Can he just use the plastic case the gun came in? Where can he get a TSA lock? I'm doing the leg work because a) I'm a friend who he thinks it knowledgable on CA gun laws, b) he's busy/stressed.

no no no.... If what you are saying is "checking" the gun, in a locked plastic pistol case, separate from the other luggage, you might as well kiss the gun good bye.

TSA Reg's:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.

The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.

The container must be locked.

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we canít contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

You canít use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

You canít bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Call the airline first, these are just TSA reg's and airlines might have different rules. I recommend if possible to get any external tag that indicates a firearm inside the luggage removed.

bwiese
01-30-2007, 1:26 PM
When I air-travel with just handguns, I carry them in a locked Starlite carry-case (thick briefcase size hardened case).

No problems at all.

LAK Supply
01-30-2007, 3:28 PM
I second the luggage thing. There is no reason to have an FFL transfer his own gun to himself; it is absolutely not necessary.

Any airline-approved case will work. As long as he checks it and does not try to bring it in a carry-on he will be fine.

krby
01-30-2007, 6:17 PM
I think I've talked him into checking it into his baggage for the flight. Dunno why he was reluctant to do that originally.

hoffmang
01-30-2007, 7:27 PM
Nothing was more fun for me than walking through SFO and taking the rental car monorail with a couple of rifles in my case. Avis even gave me a Caddi with Arizona plates. I was traveling with my buddy from Cayman... Felt like a bad mob movie...

-Gene

gn3hz3ku1*
01-31-2007, 7:17 AM
my friend does it all the time.. strip the gun into parts. lock parts. tell DHS special operations command (TSA) and you will be fine... they cant even mess that up, there are declare your firearm signs all over the airport