PDA

View Full Version : Barska 3-9X scope on Marlin 795 mounting help.

Raptor3000
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I am new to this and no idea how to mount and zero the Barska 3-9X scope on my Marlin 795, appreciate if some one could direct me to some video or site that has this information or please walk me through the steps.

Thanks

livefire
09-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I am new to this and no idea how to mount and zero the Barska 3-9X scope on my Marlin 795, appreciate if some one could direct me to some video or site that has this information or please walk me through the steps.

Thanks
You will need a dovetail to picatinny style mount. The rail on your 795 is dovetail while standard Barska scopes are designed to attach to a 1" picatinny/Weaver style rail. Check your scope features to confirm that first!

http://www.jasonweb.net/uncategorized/marlin-795-rifle-range-report-with-intensity-scope-installed/

To Zero your scope with your rifle you will need to address it like any scope mounting.

Text overview.. http://www.chuckhawks.com/mounting_zeroing_scope.htm

Video http://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUSA#p/search/2/HF3LCwrN3HY

Saber2Golf
09-13-2011, 10:26 PM
My Barska scope from Big 5 came with the right scope rings for the dovetail (I have a Model 60 but the dovetails should be the same). If you have the wrong rings, buying the right pair to fit your scope tube and dovetail would be less expensive than getting a dovetail-to-picatinny adapter. The added benefit of the right rings will be a better cheek weld on your stock, because if you're used to shooting ARs the scope already sits pretty high on Model 60s and 795s.

Of course, I'm not sure that's even what OP was asking; sounds more like you were asking for a tutorial on how to mount it square/set proper eye relief/zero. For that, you should just use your Google-fu :)

Raptor3000
09-13-2011, 11:09 PM
this is the scope i have, does it have the right rings for marlin 795?

http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AC10380-BARSKA-Plinker-22-Riflescope/dp/B001JJCHWK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1315980491&sr=1-1

roushstage2
09-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Those are dovetail mount rings; they should work fine. You just need to loosen the screws most of the way until you get both sides over the mounting rail, and then tighten them up.

Raptor3000
09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Can i do zeroing in without bore sighter? I do not have one.

can i just shoot and adjust windage and elevation until its zero?

Please advise.

thanks

ejhc11
09-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Can i do zeroing in without bore sighter? I do not have one.

can i just shoot and adjust windage and elevation until its zero?

Please advise.

thanks

Yes - start close at 25 yds with large target so you can see where the groups are. Then, choose to adjust windage or elevation but not both. When one of the elevation or windage is centered adjust the other knob and test shoot till everything is centered. Test everything again at 50yds, fine tune. The End.

ojisan
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Usually I shoot at dirt first to see where the point of impact is as the flying dirt is easy to see.
Adjust until you can hit a selected dirt clod, then move to paper for final dial-in.
It goes much faster and easier if you have a buddy to spot for you.

rsrocket1
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes you can do all that without any boresighters, you just need to know how to adjust your scope.
There are numerous web sights describing in detail what to do. I read a lot of them but don't remember where they are. A search would turn up lots in little time.

The best way to do this is to have a gun vise or a setup where the gun doesn't move and you don't have to hold it to keep it steady.

The cheap/quick/dirty way:
1. Mount the scope rings loosely to the rail and loosely to the scope. Then gently tighten the rings on the scope, then on the rail. Then loosen the rings on the scope so that it can rotate freely without getting scratched.

2. Look through the scope and rotate it. Does the center of the crosshairs move or stay right in the center as you rotate it? If they stay centered, good. If not, adjust the crosshairs until they stay centered as you rotate the scope. Your crosshairs are now centered. If you cannot center the crosshairs, your scope mounting may be too far off and you need to remount the scope.

3. At the range. Set up for 25 yards or less. You want to simply get the bullets on paper. You must be able to shoot steady which is why a gun vise it advised. You can do it off sandbags, but a firm steady platform is essential. Shoot 5-10 rounds while aiming at the bullseye. Don't adjust anything. Your gun may be off, but it ought to shoot at the same spot every time.

4. With the scope still aimed at the bullseye and the gun held firmly, move the crosshair one axis at a time until that axis is in the center of the group. Then adjust the other axis until the crosshair is centered on the center of your shot group.

don't try to shoot one shot at a time and chase the bullet hole. You'll pull your hair out and waste a bunch of ammo.

5. Move the target back to 50 yards or whatever and fine tune. A 22LR does not drop too much between 25 and 50 yards, but it does drop quit a bit between 50 and 100 yards so just be aware of this.

Remember, your gun shoots where you point it regardless of where your sights or scope is pointed. You want to line up the sights so that it points to where your gun shoots. After that, you know that your gun will shoot where you line up your sights.

If you start too far away, you'll waste a box of ammo just trying to get it on paper. If you can't get the bullets on paper at 25 yards, move into 10 yards. Even at the muzzle, the scope is only 1-2" above the bore so you ought to be at least that close if your scope is mounted properly.

bigboy91
09-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I would recommend you to buy a one piece scope mount and add blue loctite to the screws.

I had that same scope with the rings it came with on my 795 and the scope started to creeping back after about 50-100 rounds.

After I changed scope mount the scope has not creeped back with 600 rounds through it.