PDA

View Full Version : Eastside Riva Gang Injunction

dskell
09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Hello LEO's,

I'm currently taking a class on community relations at RCC and one of our papers is on the gang injunction against the Eastside Riva gang in Riverside.

I'd like to speak with any LEO's that work in an area (RPD, RSO) where the injunction is in effect about it's overall effectiveness (or lack thereof) in curbing gang activity.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bobby Hated
09-23-2011, 6:41 AM
hey brother im a soc grad student and adjunct professor with subfield specialization in criminology at NYU and i have a few citations for your lit review for your paper. you should already have some of these but in case you missed any here they are:

Allan, Edward L. Civil Gang Abatement: The Effectiveness and Implications of Policing by Gang Injunction, LFB Scholarly Publishing LLC, New York. 2004.

Barajas, Frank P. "An Invading Army: A Civil Gang Injunction in A Southern California Chicana/O Community" In: Latino Studies. Vol. 5 Issue 4. 2007.

Grogger, Jeffrey. "The Effects of Civil Gang Injunctions on Reported Crime: Evidence from Los Angeles County" In: Journal of Law and Economics. Vol. 45 Issue 1. 2002.

Grogger, Jeffrey. "What We Know About Gang Injunctions." In: Criminology and Public Policy. Vol. 4 Issue 3. 2005.

Maxson, Cheryl, Karen Hennnigan, and David C. Sloane. “For the Sake of the Neighborhood?: Civil Gang Injunctions as a Gang Intervention Tool in Southern California.” In: Policing Gangs and Youth Violence. Ed. Scott H. Decker. Thomson/ Wadsorth. Canada. 2003.

Maxson, Cheryl. "It's Getting Crazy Out There: Can a Civil Gang Injunction CHange a Community?" In: Criminology and Public Policy. Vol. 4 Issue 3. 2005.

Stewart, Gary. “Black Codes and Broken Windows: The Legacy of Racial Hegemony in Anti-Gang Civil Injunctions.” In: The Yale Law Journal, Vol. 107, No. 7. May, 1998.

Werdegar, Matthew Mickle. “Enjoining the Constitution: The Use of Public nuisance Abatement Injunctions against Urban Street Gangs.” In: Stanford Law Review, Vol. 51, No.2. January, 1999.

Whitbread, Brian. "Gang Abatement : Utilizing Civil Laws to Combat Gangs, Part 1." In: Law Enforcement Quarterly. Vol. 28 Issue 1. 1999.

Whitbread, Brian. "Gang Abatement: Utilizing Civil Laws to Combat Gangs, Part 2." In: Law Enforcement Quarterly. Vol. 28 Issue 2. 1999.

the infamous ACLU blythe street report can be found in PDF here:
www.aclu-sc.org/attach/b/BlytheStReport.pdf

also theres an article in the 2011 spring issue of the Journal of Criminal Justice Research about gang injunctions by Matthew O'Deane. i dont have the citation at hand, but look up the journal and im sure you'll find it.

i know O'Deane did his dissertation on gang injunctions as well but i dont know of it being published. perhaps you can get a copy through interlibrary loan. not sure where he got his degree. google him.

good luck with your paper.