PDA

View Full Version : need some help w/ my ruger mark iii

famousbyter
09-12-2011, 3:43 PM
I recently replaced the following stock parts (hammer, sear, target trigger, and disconnector bar) w/ the volqartsen version of each. I am certainly not a pro at this, however I believe everything was in working order before I took it out to test. To my disappointment, the gun would not fire. The mag goes in smoothly and I am able to chamber a round like before, however there is to bang. I can hear the hammer drop, but just no bang. The pre-travel screw is currently set to the point where any movement at all will fire the gun. The over travel screw is set to stop the backward movement of the trigger immediately. The gun was working flawlessly before I started to tinkering around with it.
Should I back off a little bit on the pre and over travel screws?
Could it be that the volquartsen hammer just doesn't have enough mass like the stock hammer?
I dunno, Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, especially if it gets my baby back to her feet......

BSlacker
09-12-2011, 4:45 PM
Were the cases dented or not?

OHW
09-12-2011, 7:55 PM
Rumor has it a small amount of overtravel is needed.
Also in the future add only one part at a time. A very very ancient rule of thumb.

famousbyter
09-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I will try and ease out the screws a little bit for pre and post travel.....hopefully this does the trick.....you know what OHW i usually follow that "rule of thumb".....I guess this time I just went for it.....anyways thanks for your thoughts......

kmca
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Rumor has it a small amount of overtravel is needed.
Also in the future add only one part at a time. A very very ancient rule of thumb.
Small amount???? I finally just took the over travel screw completely out :)

famousbyter
09-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I shot it again today with the same results........I backed off the pre-travel and over-travel screw and had no success.....after careful examination of the cases, I noticed that there were no indentations on the back, not even a scratch. I never messed with the bolt or firing pin. I'm going to replace all the stock parts as suggested by OHW, and try to see where the problem lies. I just got a feeling its something really stupid......anyways, please keep the suggestions coming....

Mail Clerk
09-14-2011, 5:55 AM
Check you hammer spring. Too light for some reason. Your didn't mention replacing that part in your listing.

Mail Clerk

Donny1
09-14-2011, 8:05 AM
Are you in SoCal?

famousbyter
09-14-2011, 9:20 AM
wow, I just broke down everything and the tip of my firing pin was cracked clean off. I ordered the new part and will install as soon as it arrives. I'm pretty sure this is the problem and will post the results......thanks to all.....

Donny1
09-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the problem and will post the results

pretty sure?

I would say for sure, but how would that happen. Weird.

famousbyter
09-14-2011, 9:02 PM
hey Donny, you gotz me. I never dropped it, mistreated it, and only handle it w/ pure love. The only thing I suppose is metal fatigue. Since I've owned the gun, I must have put atleast 5k rounds throught it. I bought it from another calgunner that probaly shot the **** out of it to. Anyways we'll see what happens next week.........laterz D.....