PDA

View Full Version : lead splatter from single six normal?

Falstaff
09-11-2011, 12:48 PM
While shooting my single six hunter (.22lr) the other day from the bench, I noticed that once in a while something (lead particle?, powder residue?) would hit me in the face with a slight sting. I was looking through the scope at about a foot or more of eye reflief, directly behind the weapon. Is it possible that lead pieces are getting shaved off the the cylinder to forcing cone interface and flying straight back? I did not notice this when shooting with .22wmr cylinder, but I only did 12 rounds or so through the magnum cylinder. My single six hunter in .17hmr doesnt do anything like this. I was shooting some really old CCI ammo (perhaps 1970's vintage) and some new federal auto match bulk, and a few CCI stingers. Didnt seem to be ammo related, there was a possible correlation to the round being fired from one particular position in the cylinder, could one bore of a six round cyl be off enough to do that and would Ruger consider that a valid warranty issue? (the gun otherwise shoots great)

0321jarhead
09-11-2011, 1:04 PM
You say one cylinder. Are you sure you know what cylinder? Did you mark it? And did you load just that one cylinder? Then again it may not be the cyclinder. It could be a worn out or factory defect on the iddi-biddi gear on the cylinder. To me it sounds like it would be better resolved by having a doctor closely examin it.

shafferds
09-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a timing issue. Contact ruger but also give your gun a good cleaning!