PDA

View Full Version : bench rest apparatus

sendithit
09-11-2011, 11:50 AM
What do you use and why do you like it? I ask because I want to invest in a sled to help zero my present and future long guns and want to know what works and what doesn't.

sendithit
10-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Has anyone here utilized a Caldwell Lead Sled Plus....oor similar? Does the AR-Platform fit on the CLSP? What other sled would you recommend?

Basically, I'd like to take the initial heaving and/or fatigued human element out of the equation when seeking absolute mechanical zero with iron sites/open sites on my old and new high-powered rifles.

Once I have achieved that "perfect" mechanical zero, then just about any bad shot thereafter would be on me, my technique, and my ability. Cuz one shooter's zero could be another shooter's goose egg, right?

Whiterabbit
10-12-2011, 9:04 AM
I like the lead sled alot, but ended up buying a different caldwell product that does the same thing with a lighter weight and more transportability. What's important to ME is how solid the butt of the gun is held. To ME, that's what is going to be the least repeatable on the bench and where I need the most "help". Keeping the butt at the same "rotation".

Everything else I can do with sand bags, carpet and blocking. Including weigh down the rest if needed.

If the lead sled came with the same rear holder and were as easy to drag out to the range, I would have bought it, too.