PDA

View Full Version : Super Sniper Prices

bombadillo
09-11-2011, 7:47 AM
For being a budget scope, I'm not sure I would want to spend that much on a variable power scope. I am just not convinced that super sniper is that much if any better than any quality Leupold, Nikon, or otherwise. They're nice and all but for 5-20x50 FFP is $1499.99 !?!?! :facepalm: That just seems to beat what they were trying to do in the first place was get people into long distance shooting with clear glass that was repeatable but AFFORDABLE. Are you listening SS??? Crazy to me. I'll go with a nice Leupy MKIV LR/T 8.5-25x50 for $1399.99.

FLIGHT762
09-11-2011, 8:40 AM
Many got in on the $1000.00 deal back in June for that scope. For $1500.00, I agree with you and go elsewhere.

I got into the group by for the new Bushnell HDMR with the GAP G2 reticle for $1250.00. The buy is still available on the hide.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2716145&nt=2&page=1

The downside is: no illumination, 5 Mils per revolution of the turret and no zero stop. It has a 34MM tube, 50MM obj. FFP, MIL-MIL and has a very useable reticle. I no longer need Illumination, so it's a wash. I do wish it has 10 Mils of turret revolution, but it's no big deal either. I'm sure in the future, it will have those features, but not at $1250.00.

As far as Leupold, I'm a big fan of them, but until they came out with the Mark IV with the M5 turrets, they did not have a scope in FFP or SFP with Mil-Mil or MOA MOA. That's where they lost me. They are just starting to get it and I expect more models and maybe a more useable reticle in the future. I am a fan of their TMR reticle. I would like to see the TMR in a Christmas tree style reticle.

toby
09-11-2011, 8:40 AM
Research is needed here. This scope ranks very high with the Known.

Black Majik
09-11-2011, 8:44 AM
For being a budget scope, I'm not sure I would want to spend that much on a variable power scope. I am just not convinced that super sniper is that much if any better than any quality Leupold, Nikon, or otherwise. They're nice and all but for 5-20x50 FFP is $1499.99 !?!?! :facepalm: That just seems to beat what they were trying to do in the first place was get people into long distance shooting with clear glass that was repeatable but AFFORDABLE. Are you listening SS??? Crazy to me. I'll go with a nice Leupy MKIV LR/T 8.5-25x50 for $1399.99.

It has more features than a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T such as FFP, matching reticles, illumination, and better glass. I was pretty impressed with the glass, it resolves a little better than my Nightforce NXS.

But, I will agree with you. Many got them at $1,000. It would be really difficult to justify the $1500 price for a SS. But it does have a lot of the features as you'd find in higher end scope. Just no long track record for variable power SS, but their fixed power SS scopes have proven to be tough.

Mute
09-11-2011, 2:31 PM
Give me another FFP, mil/mil, illuminated reticle scope with good glass and a reputation for durability and consistency for $1500 or less and I'll take it. I've had more than my share of experience with Leupold. You are not going to get all those features from Leupold for $1500. You need to compare oranges to oranges.

bombadillo
09-11-2011, 2:36 PM
I would probably jump to nightforce over SS just for the warranty and customer service if it came down to that. I know they have the features, but there are so many other options of REALLY clear glass from companies that have been around a lot longer. I just don't see the value of it when there are others out there with just as clear glass with darn near the features if not the same. You may give up something but $1500 is a LOT of money to spend on glass period so I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Black Majik, I totally see your issue with the non Mil-Mil/MOA-MOA matching or FFP but I am still a huge Leupold fan. There are some scopes that I think if some people took and covered up labels, but threw them on a capable rifle would probably amaze some people but they will pay for both the name and customer service which of the latter I understand but a name, absolutely not!

Something like a Vortex Viper PST 30mm tube, MOA/MOA 6-24x50, SF, IR, all the goodies and the glass is amazingly clear on those things. I thought the viper I looked through was nicer than the nightforce I used although I didn't get to directly compare them side by side. I did get to see the holes at 200 yards and could see by far more clearly with the viper than the Nightforce that was on the same power.

Mute
09-11-2011, 4:38 PM
If it's a range gun it probably doesn't matter much, but if you are rough on your equipment, you'll understand why Nightforce charges what it charges (as well as some of the other makers). Don't get me wrong, Leupold makes a decent scope, but with the same features, you're going to be getting near the 2k mark. As for a NF, the F1, which has the same features runs about $2100 street price.

I've shot with or own/owned quite a few of the scopes we've discussed and IMHO, the SS is most certainly worth the cost given the price of competitive scopes from other makers. Whether you need all those features is another matter entirely.

bombadillo
09-11-2011, 5:16 PM
Well good to know from an owner's perspective. It just seemed steep for what used to be the go-to budget scope for starting to intermediate long range target shooters. I guess they're stepping up to the plate and moving up with the big boys.

As far as nightforce goes, I absolutely agree. You pay for a rugged, durable scope with some of the best optics out there. I LOVE shooting nightforce and have gotten to use quite a few. While I don't own any, and won't for awhile given what I've got for rifles right now, I will at some point when I get into the longer distance shooting. I'm limited to 300-400 yards right now locally. I am either going to get a remington receiver and build it from there or go with something like a surgeon when the time comes and fork out the dough. I know not to skimp in optics as I'm an optician and deal with optics everyday but it seemed that SS used to be the budget scope and is really upping their game I guess.

Mute
09-11-2011, 5:59 PM
Definitely check it out before passing judgement. The new SS scope is certainly not a budget scope. If you don't mind the lack of illuminated reticles, you can get a Leupold M5 in the $1500 range. Those are actually quite good and has all the desirable features, which is why I'm so dissapointed that they decided not to use illumination. Not much excuse at that price.

Black Majik
09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I would probably jump to nightforce over SS just for the warranty and customer service if it came down to that. I know they have the features, but there are so many other options of REALLY clear glass from companies that have been around a lot longer. I just don't see the value of it when there are others out there with just as clear glass with darn near the features if not the same. You may give up something but $1500 is a LOT of money to spend on glass period so I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Black Majik, I totally see your issue with the non Mil-Mil/MOA-MOA matching or FFP but I am still a huge Leupold fan. There are some scopes that I think if some people took and covered up labels, but threw them on a capable rifle would probably amaze some people but they will pay for both the name and customer service which of the latter I understand but a name, absolutely not!

Something like a Vortex Viper PST 30mm tube, MOA/MOA 6-24x50, SF, IR, all the goodies and the glass is amazingly clear on those things. I thought the viper I looked through was nicer than the nightforce I used although I didn't get to directly compare them side by side. I did get to see the holes at 200 yards and could see by far more clearly with the viper than the Nightforce that was on the same power.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not a Leupold basher as I see on most forums. I have a few myself, and like them quite a lot. But, my turrets are the most mushy of all the scopes I own, and the eyebox is the least forgiving. Mil/MOA doesn't bother me too much.

Nightforce's F1 is around $2300, and it only comes in a 3.5-15x, so you don't get the higher end magnification like the Vortex PST or SWFA SS, but at a much higher cost. Comparatively, the PST is $999 for a FFP 6-24x model. So for $500 more, the SS pretty much gets you better glass. If you get a chance take a look through a SS, they've come a long way. Bright contrasty images, which resolve really well. I think Nightforce's main disadvantage is the dull image they provide. They resolve well but the contrast is a bit dull, so images just don't pop out as scopes with more contrast.

Of course, YMMV...

problemchild
09-19-2011, 9:02 PM
Had 2 ss 5x20, returned both. Got the NF 3x15 and never looked back. Buy the best and cry once.

winxp_man
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
The SS is a 1499 scope that is FFP Mil/Mil! PEOPLE! Look at the NF F1 scope its 2000+ for one and ONLY 3-15! The Leupold is also way up there and only has FFP I dont know if they do the Mil/Mil (reticle and turrets) scope! I love my SS and I did have a NF before and a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 and would rather have a SS even at 1499.9.

I fully agree with Black Majik...... To me the NF also seems more duller then the SS.

Nessal
09-21-2011, 8:33 PM
AT 1500, that's nightforce territory. A buddy of mine just got that SS scope and I have to say, the turrets are REALLY nice. But the quality of the glass is NOT on par for a $1500 scope.

Hoop
09-21-2011, 9:38 PM
The SS 5-20 also has a ton of internal adjustment for a scope of that tube size, or at least it advertises a lot. I was interested when they first came out but stuck with my IOR 3-18. Don't want to change out something which is working fine.

HK Dave
09-21-2011, 9:56 PM
The SS 5-20 is the best scope at $1500 when it comes to resolution, contrast, repeatability, features. The only thing it hasn't proven is toughness. It's not good to compare this to the old SS line, it's a completely different beast.

winxp_man
09-23-2011, 1:26 PM
Ilya a optic pro on SH forum said from when he last looked through a NF (from what he remembers) the SS is a bit better than the NF. I guess everyones opinion is different so lets agree to disagree. I really like my SS

RRangel
10-15-2011, 3:52 PM
If you listen to reviewers the SS 5-20x50 is great, even for the price. It is about the same cost as the new M5 turret Leupold and the SFP MOA knob NXS. The best course of action would be to actually try one before you buy. That's easier said than done though.