PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Off-Brand Accessories

xGearbox
09-10-2011, 9:55 PM
I just came back from the Gun Show in Vallejo (was surprised there weren't more jokes about arm flexing) but what I noticed were a lot of off-brand fore-grips and sights that clearly weren't made by the companies that filed the original patents (e.g. EOTech sights, Grip Pods), but seem to serve the same function for a marginally cheaper price. I was just wondering if anyone knows they have an off-brand weapon accessory and how good the quality/usefulness is in comparison to the real thing.

Stanksbeamen
09-11-2011, 1:00 PM
I was there yesterday also. I'm still learning about everything as I'm building my first AR15 now. My friend purchased a UTG red/green dot for $50 I think. It was really nice and worked well at the show. Once he got home he tried turning it on and the red wasnt all there. The vendor ended up meeting him on the way home from the show and reimbursed his money and said that has never happened before. The vendor had sold all of his stock so he just got his money back. I'd be willing to give it a shot for my AR though.

Anyone use a UTG with success/failure?

rero360
09-11-2011, 2:14 PM
If you like to support and encourage the practice of intellectual theft and dishonest sales practices that hurt American companies and reward foreign companies that have no integrity then by all means purchase those clones, knock-offs, wanna-bees, fakes, rip-offs. Additionally, please feel free to purchase said products if you don't care about craftsmanship, quality control, tolerances being held, proper materials being used, and when applicable, proper heat treatment.

However, if you want something that will last more than a trip to the range, that will work no matter what, is made correctly and will do absolutely everything it should, then save your pennies and purchase the real deal.

My friend purchased a UTG red/green dot for $50 I think. It was really nice and worked well at the show. Once he got home he tried turning it on and the red wasnt all there. The vendor ended up meeting him on the way home from the show and reimbursed his money and said that has never happened before. The vendor had sold all of his stock so he just got his money back. I'd be willing to give it a shot for my AR though.

Why would you be willing to give something a shot when one just failed absolutely horrifically on your buddy? Me personally, I take that as a warning and a cue on what not to buy and to avoid like the plague. I mean honestly, if it didn't even survive long enough to get mounted to a gun, what makes you think it would even hold up to any form of recoil?

Now granted, you may get lucky of getting one that works alright, but I'd rather bet money on the mega bucks lotto than that.

Stanksbeamen
09-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Only reason I would try it out is because the one he bought was a display one at a gun show. It could of been mis-handled/dropped etc. so one bad experience doesnt mean they are all bad.

Where's the list of all American made optics? Dont want to be frowned upon for having 'other' or 'off' brand...We were looking for feed back, that's all.

beck1103
09-17-2011, 11:21 AM
I would try "off brand" products for small items like grips and such but for optics I would stick with the tried and true...AIMPOINT, EOTECH etc....but thats only my opinion and my rifle is for duty use. Why trust your life to something that may not even work when you need it. Now with that being said I am currently running a Primary arms 3x magnifier and it works great.