PDA

View Full Version : 22/45 - Finally got to take it out to the range.

gorenut
09-10-2011, 3:35 PM
All I can say is.. wow.. had a blast. The thing is dead nuts. I pretty much spent the whole range trip shooting at either a tennis ball or 3" Shoot N See targets. Essentially as far as the range at Firing Line can go, I was able to make it within the 3" radius. Nothing more fun taking shots at a moving tennis ball when limited to indoor ranges.

Sorry no pics, was having too much fun blowing through 22 ammo.

As far as reliability.. it was kinda sketchy at first. Had maybe 7 or so failures within the first 100 rounds, after that.. it was running much smoother. The last 100 rounds was near flawless. Main gripe is that the bolt wouldn't lock back every time the mag was empty. Also, I kind of wish I didn't have to lower the bolt catch to get it into chambering mode. Would have been great if all it required me to do was "rack" it on a full magazine to put it back into position. Lastly.. this thing is heavy. I've shot standard MKIIIs before and already thought they were heavy... having the polymer frame doesn't lighten the weight all that much.

No regrets at all buying this over a GSG 1911. Got this at Turners brand new for $269. I already plan on removing the magazine disconnect.. and drilling holes to allow me to install 1911 grip panels.

HighLander51
09-10-2011, 3:45 PM
I have one that has run well over 50K, here is a trick. Put a drop of oil on the top bullet in the mag, then it runs flawless. Old trick. By the way, I have never taken mine apart, only cleaned the bore and sprayed it with WD-40.

G-forceJunkie
09-10-2011, 4:24 PM
Research the "slingshot mod" if you want to drop the slide (bolt?) by pulling it back and letting it fly.

easy
09-10-2011, 4:32 PM
Slingshot mod
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361024

Grip mods - have this guy do it.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380699

You're welcome!

microwaveguy
09-10-2011, 6:03 PM
Slingshot mod
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361024

Grip mods - have this guy do it.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380699

You're welcome!

%$#%$#%$#%.......... I have to have the grip mod done now :eek:
Looks like I need to hang out at rimfire central more there are all kinds of wonderful things for the 22/45 over there ;)

Thanks for the links ( I think looking at this thread is going to cost me :p )

easy
09-10-2011, 9:05 PM
Cost is long forgotten when quality lives on.

BOBALOO
09-10-2011, 9:58 PM
Just picked up my 22/45 from Turners, same deal. Can't wait to go to the range next Saturday.

gorenut
09-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm probably going to do the grip mod myself following this tutorial. I'm also going to refinish the frame as well with the same methods.
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=347

Mark Schumacher
09-15-2011, 1:48 PM
I've had my 22/45 for years now. Since it costs so much to shoot center fire these days, I use it more than anything else. Great accuracy. Only 2 problems so far: pin in rear site works its way out and the screw that holds the front sight to the barrel comes loose (haven't lock-tighted it yet).

4ntvings
09-16-2011, 4:59 PM
i got my 22/45 from turners about year ago on great sale.
supposed to be reliable but i've been disappointed. taken it out to the range 2x and continued fail to loads; at least 15 each time at the range. its really upsetting. using remington + winchester standard ammo.

easy
09-16-2011, 7:52 PM
using remington + winchester standard ammo

There's your problem. Try Federal, CCI, Wolf, Aguila, etc.

triplestack3
09-16-2011, 10:01 PM
I've had my 22/45 for years now. Since it costs so much to shoot center fire these days, I use it more than anything else. Great accuracy. Only 2 problems so far: pin in rear site works its way out and the screw that holds the front sight to the barrel comes loose (haven't lock-tighted it yet).

little bit of blue thread locker solves everything

sequoia_nomad
09-16-2011, 10:53 PM
supposed to be reliable but i've been disappointed. taken it out to the range 2x and continued fail to loads; at least 15 each time at the range. its really upsetting. using remington + winchester standard ammo.

So you've shot this gun twice in a year, and you're going to run down it's reliability based on that?

Merc1138
09-18-2011, 9:58 AM

Remington .22lr ammo sucks, and I haven't used winchester more than once but my 22/45 eats federal bulk just fine.

Although there is a problem with 22/45's(at least with the mkIII's) and it's that the magazines don't always want to go in unless you smack them really hard and even then they don't always want to go in. To mostly rid my 22/45 of that issue, I saw two options when looking at the gap where the baseplate meets the frame.

1. Sand the frame. Bad idea considering it's kind of irreversible.
2. Sand the magazine baseplate a few thousands of an inch, and if that didn't work at the most I ruined a magazine baseplate.

Option 2 worked just fine.

4ntvings
09-18-2011, 10:23 PM
There's your problem. Try Federal, CCI, Wolf, Aguila, etc.

ya, i've been veering away from all remington ammo; thinking of trying federal and cci

So you've shot this gun twice in a year, and you're going to run down it's reliability based on that?

i hate to do such; i'm fully aware of the positive support there is for this gun. i was wondering whether or not there was some type of aftermarket product which would resolve this issue. :confused:

Remington .22lr ammo sucks, and I haven't used winchester more than once but my 22/45 eats federal bulk just fine.

Although there is a problem with 22/45's(at least with the mkIII's) and it's that the magazines don't always want to go in unless you smack them really hard and even then they don't always want to go in. To mostly rid my 22/45 of that issue, I saw two options when looking at the gap where the baseplate meets the frame.

1. Sand the frame. Bad idea considering it's kind of irreversible.
2. Sand the magazine baseplate a few thousands of an inch, and if that didn't work at the most I ruined a magazine baseplate.
Option 2 worked just fine.

thx!

Merc1138
09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
ya, i've been veering away from all remington ammo; thinking of trying federal and cci

i hate to do such; i'm fully aware of the positive support there is for this gun. i was wondering whether or not there was some type of aftermarket product which would resolve this issue. :confused:

thx!

One thing just to make clear about what I mean when I say to sand down the baseplate. With the magazine assembled, you can see the areas surrounding the part where it slides into the body, those are what I'm talking about sanding. Don't sand the portion of the baseplate that slides into the body. Also, when I said a few thousands of an inch I meant it. Previously at the front and back where the baseplate met the frame without the magazine catch secured there was already contact and it still took extra force to get the magazine seated. After doing a little sanding with the magazine seated, the baseplate still contacts the frame at the same points, it just doesn't have that last bit of resistance before the magazine catch actually engages.

six10
09-19-2011, 3:13 AM
Be sure to check out this rimfirecentral thread for a great LCI replacement.

PICS:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2756552&postcount=161

Huge thread:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310919

Pricing/mailing info is always posted on the last page of that thread, and yes there is a blued version too

Foriegn power
09-24-2011, 5:39 AM
+1 on never taking the 22/45 apart like someone just said run oil and degrease. It's a tack driver not a life saver. On the side note Turners at one time, couple of months ago had them from $199!!!!

thatsteveguy
09-25-2011, 10:07 PM
On the side note Turners at one time, couple of months ago had them from $199!!!!

It was from the May 7th 2010 weekly ad. The price was so low I saved the ad intending to get one and never did! Now; how I wish I had gotten off my keyster for one. :facepalm:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/burgherdude/Misc/ruger1.png