PDA

View Full Version : Problems with brand new 870 pump action

sdirielion
01-28-2007, 5:35 PM
I went and shot my brand new Remington 870 shotgun today at the range and had problems with it. The pump action was sticking horribly and it was almost impossible to get a spent shell out of it and chamber a new shell. There was a guy shooting right next to me with the same shotgun and his was brand new and he was having the same problems with his. He said he just squirted a bunch of oil in his and let me barrow some of his and it helped a little bit. Has anyone else had this problem with the 870 tactical????

How did you fix the problem.

Thanks, Ben

DV8
01-28-2007, 5:53 PM
Did you clean and lube before shooting? Mine stuck a little at first but after a few range trips its smoothed out.

mike100
01-28-2007, 6:41 PM
2 problems...
1) the 870 express model chambers are rough and could use a polishing (or a few hundred rounds of break in..or both.)

2) You are probably shooting $4 a box walmart promotional loads (am I right?). the thin azzed steel bases expand horribly and stick even in wingmasters.

sdirielion
01-28-2007, 6:45 PM
2 problems...
1) the 870 express model chambers are rough and could use a polishing (or a few hundred rounds of break in..or both.)

2) You are probably shooting $4 a box walmart promotional loads (am I right?). the thin azzed steel bases expand horribly and stick even in wingmasters.

Yeah I was shooting that cheap ammo. :D

I clean all my firearms, but have never cleaned a shotgun. what is the best step by step source online to learn how to clean this beast.

Thanks guys

Ben

James R.
01-28-2007, 7:29 PM

I clean all my firearms, but have never cleaned a shotgun. what is the best step by step source online to learn how to clean this beast.

Thanks guys

Ben

Start with the owners manual...and buy a cleaning kit for a shotgun.

Regards,

James R.

sdirielion
01-28-2007, 7:46 PM
Start with the owners manual...and buy a cleaning kit for a shotgun.

Regards,

James R.

I have got a cleaning kit for it and I didn't like how the owners manual goes through the cleaning process.

Thanks, suggestions really appreciated

Ben

cornholio1
01-28-2007, 8:28 PM
I've had similar problems with a Mossberg 500. Mine didn't stick as bad as yours. Most people blame it on the dirt cheap Walmart ammo. I believe its probably true. Wolf power slugs cycle fine. Wow, do they leave HUGE holes

mike100
01-28-2007, 8:38 PM
get a 12 ga brush and a rod that is long enough.. I use my coated rifle rod with the appropriate adapter for the brass brush..anyways, you need a couple of 12 gauge bore mops that you can get at the walmart sporting goods display for $2 a pop. after the brushing and oil/cleaner solvent, I run the mop and a patch through it a couple of times.

the 870 reciever is pretty tough and I don't clean it very often. I might take the bolt apart when the bbl is off, and the trigger group comes out for a high pressure airspray and light lube about once a year. The pins on the side tap right out for those...really the only trick is putting the action bars back in past the shell latches one at a time by pushing them against the reciever wall one at a time with your finger thru the shell lifter hole. the bolt and carrier rest on the fore-end grip and action bars so you take that whole deal in and out. I maybe get that twice or 3 times a year. If there was ever a gun to neglect and not clean until the season is over, the 870 remington is it...just don't let it get wet.

meangreen
01-28-2007, 8:43 PM
how about calling Remington?

Jon
01-29-2007, 12:05 AM
When I ran some Estate shells through my 870 (when it was new) it got stuck pretty good. Took a good whack of the butt against the floor to get it out.

I've never had a problem running any Winchester or Federal shells/slugs through the 870.

sdirielion
01-29-2007, 7:47 AM

Thanks guys

Ben

I said I was using cheap walmart ammo, but come to think of it, I was using some decent winchester birdshot. so maybe that wasn't the problem????

Aluisious
01-29-2007, 8:10 AM
I went and shot my brand new Remington 870 shotgun today at the range and had problems with it. The pump action was sticking horribly and it was almost impossible to get a spent shell out of it and chamber a new shell. There was a guy shooting right next to me with the same shotgun and his was brand new and he was having the same problems with his. He said he just squirted a bunch of oil in his and let me barrow some of his and it helped a little bit. Has anyone else had this problem with the 870 tactical????

How did you fix the problem.

Thanks, Ben
This happened to me until I learned to slam the action forward like I was punching Osama. Then it was OK.

goldfinger
01-29-2007, 5:13 PM
slam it like there's no tomorrow. i used estate & federal bird shots in my then brand new 870 and never had a problem. i even let my first time shooter friend to try my 870 and he never had a problem too.

cheap ammo: federal bird shot- $32.00 per case

TacFan
01-29-2007, 7:16 PM
send it back to remington. We had the same problem and according to them, there was a bad batch of receivers.

Teletiger7
01-29-2007, 8:55 PM
Rack the pump with AUTHORITY.

stator
01-30-2007, 7:24 AM
2 problems...

I have a new 870 Express Magnum shot for the first time on 1/28 as well. No stuck shell issues whatsoever and I shot about 200 shells. The chamber is mirror smooth so polishing is of no benefit. Shells were Winchester AA128, 2-3/4, l-1/8, 8, btw.

I do not think there are any new 870 Express models anymore... just 870 Express Magnums and Super Magnums. How this relates to 870 tacticals, I have no idea.

Shenaniguns
01-31-2007, 1:33 PM
They still make Express models, they're listed on their webpage, catalog and I have an 07 model on order :)

I have a new 870 Express Magnum shot for the first time on 1/28 as well. No stuck shell issues whatsoever and I shot about 200 shells. The chamber is mirror smooth so polishing is of no benefit. Shells were Winchester AA128, 2-3/4, l-1/8, 8, btw.

I do not think there are any new 870 Express models anymore... just 870 Express Magnums and Super Magnums. How this relates to 870 tacticals, I have no idea.

Diablo
01-31-2007, 1:40 PM
you should've bought a Mossberg..:D

toymonger
02-04-2007, 7:59 PM
I was in Arkansas duck hunting last month and a guy was having the same problem with a brand new one. Go Benelli!

I. M. Nobody
02-04-2007, 8:12 PM
Take a short section of cleaning rod put a 12 ga bore brush on it then wrap a small piece of oooo steel wool on brush. Put the rod in chuck of electric drill. dip brush in solvent and run brush thru chamber and forcing cone.

This will remove all crud in the chamber and polish it without damaging the bbl. We do this every time we clean shotguns.

stator
02-07-2007, 6:18 PM
They still make Express models, they're listed on their webpage, catalog and I have an 07 model on order :)

Yes, but the 870 Express listed on their website is the 870 Express Magnum. It will come with Magnum engraved on the receiver and the barrel will be for both magnum and super magnums. It will be engraved with a warning to only use 3.5" shells in a super magnum receiver.

I did order the basic 870 Express and this is what Remington shipped. Did you notice there is no longer a "870 Express Magnum" listed? Who on earth would want to shot 3.5" shells with this? They are just asking for punishment. I would only consider shooting 3.5" shells in a gas semi-auto. And then, would dismiss the idea rather quickly.

Shenaniguns
02-07-2007, 6:32 PM
http://www.remington.com/pdfs/07catalog-shotguns.pdf

Well here's the catalog... I guess I'll have to check mine when they finally get to my dealer

Yes, but the 870 Express listed on their website is the 870 Express Magnum. It will come with Magnum engraved on the receiver and the barrel will be for both magnum and super magnums. It will be engraved with a warning to only use 3.5" shells in a super magnum receiver.

I did order the basic 870 Express and this is what Remington shipped. Did you notice there is no longer a "870 Express Magnum" listed? Who on earth would want to shot 3.5" shells with this? They are just asking for punishment. I would only consider shooting 3.5" shells in a gas semi-auto. And then, would dismiss the idea rather quickly.

Shenaniguns
02-08-2007, 8:37 PM
You are correct!!! Mine came today and said 870 Express Magnum :o

Hamster16
09-17-2008, 8:53 AM
i know im resurrecting a old thread but im having this same problem with my 870. i am using those cheap winchester universal rounds you can buy at walmart for like $20. when i use the federal rounds i dont have issues. i called remington and they shiped it at their expense for repairs and it came back saying they polished and duburred the barrel. i took it to the range and the same damn thing is happening. only with those winchester rounds. should i call remington again or is there something i can do to fix this my self. or should i just not buy that cheap stuff from walmart?
thanks for the help in advance.

12gauge12
09-17-2008, 9:23 AM
Its the ammo. The cheap winchesters still do it to me after thousands of rounds. If you are going to go cheap, the federal is better but will still stick occasionally. The cheap shells also like to leave plastic shell in the chamber, so that needs to be cleaned each trip.
Bass Pro had Win AA on sale for $6.50 a box last week. I stocked up, and I reload too.

technique
09-17-2008, 9:34 AM
you should've bought a Mossberg..:D

More like, are you sure you didn't buy a Mossberg?:D

PolishMike
09-17-2008, 9:57 AM
Wow - I had the same problem at the brokeback mountain shoot.

First round (Winchester white box) got stuck in my 870 syn express. It still takes a ton of force to cycle rounds.

Justin562
09-17-2008, 10:45 AM
More like, are you sure you didn't buy a Mossberg?:D

Lol,
I shot about 1000 rounds of federal's (100 shells for $20.50+tax @ walmart)
out my mossberg 500 with no issues . I also use plenty of different types
of brands including slugs and buckshot...I second that wolf ammo is great!
no issues with the mossberg (yet:p)

I Have a model 11 remington auto loader,and shot nothing but federal cheap load with no cycling issues..,

So I'm thinking it's likely a machining operation for the reciever was missed or incomplete at the factory...and the quality inspector missed it.
Call remington and see if this has been a reported problem.
Oh and it should be under a warrenty -here a link in regards
http://www.remington.com/support/warranty/2_year_limited_warranty.asp

mike100
09-17-2008, 7:18 PM
In time, the chamber will loosen up from hundreds of shells thru it. It isn't always just the express barrels either. I had a WM ebay barrel that stuck with the cheap steel base promotional loads...but after a couple of years, it hasn't been happening.

It will cost a good bit, but choose your favorite barrels and just shoot the piss out of 'em. They'l be good to go after a year or two. I did dremel polish one of my barrels to speed things up, but the best thing is just run thru dozens of the 100 pack ammo boxes. Breaking it in will cost way more than the SG did.

Hamster16
09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
im gonna take a 100 rounds of federal to the range and see how it does if i get any jams i guess ill be calling remington again and if not i might need to break in the barrel a little more before i try the winchester rounds again. either way thanks for the advice ill post what happens at the range.

Barbarossa
09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I've never had my 870 express jam on me.

I've occasionally had to pump it with more force. :D