PDA

View Full Version : remington 597 vs. ruger 10 22

eben48
09-09-2011, 12:36 PM
i was going to get a .22 rifle but didnt know whether to go for the 230$ 10 22 or the 160$ remington 597. I know the ruger has much more aftermarket parts but the the remington has quite a few as well. As far as accuracy and reliability i would have no clue. the cheapest i found them was on the cabelas website. if you have any sugestions for other rifles in that price range please let me know. Thanks for any info you have

ojisan
09-09-2011, 1:09 PM
These are the top two most-popular autoloaders currently on the market.
You can't go wrong with either one.
I know this does not help much, so just buy both.

Turner's often has the standard model 10/22 on sale for $199.
The Marlin is a few bucks less, currently $135 at Turner's, plus Marlin has a $25 rebate program going.
http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

Welcome to Cal Guns!

You might want to add your location to your profile, Turner's is So Cal only so without knowing where you are, it is hard to offer advice sometimes.

Inquirer
09-09-2011, 1:24 PM
If you want a target gun, get the 597. From what I've read, they're more accurate out of the box, and there are accessories available for it, although none of the pistol grip stock conversions to my knowledge. So if you plan on making a "Survival"-type gun, then get a 10/22 and put a Tapco T6 stock on it and you're pretty much done. Just be sure that you buy the stock that's made for the bull barrel if you plan on buying one for your Ruger. Volquartsen makes triggers and actions for each. They also make an extended mag release for the Ruger 10/22 which'll let you operate the mag catch from the pistol grip.

Hope this helps,

--Inq

Also this belongs in the rimfire section, not the centerfire section, but a mod should be able to move it pretty quick.

GillaFunk
09-09-2011, 1:30 PM
Skip both and get a CZ .22 if you want more accuracy (plus those are wicked cool looking and have WOOOD stocks. <--------

Though..I have the 597.......I've never really tested what kind of groups I can get with it.

ChaneRZ
09-09-2011, 1:33 PM
you could buy a bull barrel for 10 22 for added accuracy.

bcrich
09-09-2011, 3:55 PM
I have the 597 VTR (AR clone) and I gotta admit it is not very accurate! the groups suck and I have tried every brand of ammo you can think of. If you are going for a target rifle you would be better off with a savage or CZ. It is fun as hell to shoot but I wouldnt win any .22 matches with it:eek:

Fadedline
09-09-2011, 4:01 PM
For an auto loader 10/22 all the way.

deviljon
09-20-2011, 8:11 AM
If you pick up the 597 right now, you can get the Remington rebate for $25. So ~$165 from Buds - $25 brings it down to $140. Not a bad price!

Izzy43
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
10/22 if you want to go wild with upgrades.

Marlin 795 for the cheap, pretty accurate route knowing that the stock iron sights are not that good.

Marlin 60 (wood stock) for out of the box accuracy at a reasonable price.

CZ Semi-Auto (forgot the model number) for a premium rifle at a premium price.

CZ, Savage, Marlin bolt actions will be more accurate than any of the above, unmodified semi-autos.

BayouBullets
09-22-2011, 8:10 PM
10/22 if you want to go wild with upgrades.

Marlin 795 for the cheap, pretty accurate route knowing that the stock iron sights are not that good.

Marlin 60 (wood stock) for out of the box accuracy at a reasonable price.

CZ Semi-Auto (forgot the model number) for a premium rifle at a premium price.

CZ, Savage, Marlin bolt actions will be more accurate than any of the above, unmodified semi-autos.

+1 on all of the above.

Bearclaw
09-22-2011, 8:53 PM
Three words for you...............TEN TWENTY TWO.