PDA

View Full Version : Unboxed hollow point speer luger 9mm ammo, should I ?

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 3:59 AM
This guy I know offered it to me, he has about 800 rounds, its all bulk, no box, no bags, nothing, inside an ammo can, dunno if its old, but it looks kind of dirty outside.
Dunno the grain, all I can read on the casing is "speer 9mm luger".
I dont know if I should buy, I wonder if this ammo is gtg for a defensive situation, and hes pricing higher than target ammo, so wouldnt make sense as a range ammo buy.
will post pics.
Any feedback?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41242316@N07/6129555381

epcii
09-09-2011, 4:36 AM
If the price is good, buy it and shoot a few to see what they're like. If they're not gtg, you'll at least have reloading components.

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 4:48 AM
it.would be too expensive for that purpose... hes selling above average target ammo prices..

the big ravioli
09-09-2011, 4:51 AM
Looking at the pic supplied and it being Speer I would say it's good. What is the price for 800 rounds? That's were you find out if it's a good deal or not.

morrcarr67
09-09-2011, 4:52 AM
it.would be too expensive for that purpose... hes selling above average target ammo prices..

I would pass.

If you don't know exactly what model your getting you have to figure to use it for target ammo. If his price is higher than target ammo it's not worth it.

Just my thoughts.

Sanderhawk
09-09-2011, 4:55 AM
Same here pass. If its that expencive just buy your target ammo.

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 4:57 AM
how bout identifying this round, what can I do to ID it? I looked at speer website and I see it looks.like gold dot defensive ammo, any one use this?
is there a.way to.find out the grain?

morrcarr67
09-09-2011, 5:03 AM
how bout identifying this round, what can I do to ID it? I looked at speer website and I see it looks.like gold dot defensive ammo, any one use this?
is there a.way to.find out the grain?

The Speer Gold Dot is good ammo. The only way I know of to ID it would be to send a couple of pictures to Speer and see if they can tell you. You might have to pull a bullet and weigh it to help them out. But they should be able to tell from what line it's from.

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 5:13 AM
yeah, thats why im.interested, if this is gold dot, im getting a nice deal :)
I think I will call speer, problem is, I dont have a scale :(

RollingCode3
09-09-2011, 5:41 AM
This guy I know offered it to me, he has about 800 rounds, its all bulk, no box, no bags, nothing, inside an ammo can, dunno if its old, but it looks kind of dirty outside.
Dunno the grain, all I can read on the casing is "speer 9mm luger".
I dont know if I should buy, I wonder if this ammo is gtg for a defensive situation, and hes pricing higher than target ammo, so wouldnt make sense as a range ammo buy.
will post pics.
Any feedback?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41242316@N07/6129555381

These are the recall ammo from Speer a few years ago. They recall them and re-packaged them in clear plastic bag as range ammo due to faulty primers.

BlackRain17
09-09-2011, 5:54 AM
These are the recall ammo from Speer a few years ago. They recall them and re-packaged them in clear plastic bag as range ammo due to faulty primers.

If so that's messed up.

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 5:56 AM
so, you think this ammo was repaired already? and thats why its unboxed? whats ur take on it?

CSACANNONEER
09-09-2011, 5:58 AM
"Old"? It's not old! At least, it's not old enough to worry about it being old. If it were WWI vintage or before, I'd test a few rounds before buying it but, as long as it's newer than that, it'll be fine.

JTROKS
09-09-2011, 6:05 AM
Even after inspection can you really put your life on line using repacked ammo? How do they check for bad primers?

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 6:06 AM

wait, if thats the case then this ammo is no good for anything other than.range ammo... right?

RollingCode3
09-09-2011, 6:10 AM
so, you think this ammo was repaired already? and thats why its unboxed? whats ur take on it?

They are safe to shoot. I bough 500 rounds back then. No issues. But I wouldn't bet my life on it.

There were some problems with primers dating to last summer. We are
recalling all Gold Dot sold to law enforcement as a general safeguard.
Overall it is not a large problem, but we felt, due to the nature of law
enforcement, that the recall was the correct course of action. Most will
never experience a problem.

The problems have been corrected. There have been very few actual
occurrences of problems, but the law enforcement recall is a precautionary
procedure.

Guy Neill
CCI-Speer Technical Services

Here is the lot numbers of the Gold Dot ammo being recalled.

J26Gxx to J30Gxx (September 2001)
K01Gxx to K31Gxx (October 2001)
L01Gxx to L30Gxx (November 2001)
M01Gxx to M31Gxx (December 2001)

A01Hxx to A31Hxx (January 2002)
B01Hxx to B28Hxx (February 2002)
C01Hxx to C01Hxx (March 2002)

RollingCode3
09-09-2011, 6:16 AM
Someone mentioned that the odds of the primers didn't ignite is 1 in 50,000 or something but Speer decided to recall them anyway. People were buying them like crazy.

Head416
09-09-2011, 7:30 AM
For me, if it's "unknown" it can't be defense ammo. End of story.

Dark Mod
09-09-2011, 7:35 AM
The round looks good but id pass anyway. Who needs 800 rounds of defensive ammo that youll never use at the range? And for second hand ammo with no details, no boxes, questionable age etc. you should be getting a VERY good discount. I would not pay more than $200 or so for those rounds.

I dont see why anyone needs more than 1 box per calibre of defense ammo, just saying

JeremyS
09-09-2011, 7:43 AM
Yeah, 800 rounds of defense ammo seems like an awful lot. I also think you'd be better served buying normal range ammo and new production, high quality defense ammo and put just a couple hundred through your gun to make sure they function fine and go where you point them.

OR... if it's a really good deal and you have independantly decided that you want to use Speer Gold Dot as your defense ammo, you could certainly use this to practice with and keep a few newly purchased Gold Dots on hand for important stuff...

GlockBlocker
09-09-2011, 8:07 AM
I picked up a couple 250 round boxes of .40 Speer "Practice Ammo" at a show last year. I've shot through 1 box with no problems.

I keep my mags loaded with the actual Gold Dot rounds that come in 20 count boxes though. I keep that other box of seconds for a rainy day.

Here's some pics I just took of the box they come in, and the practice ammo side by side with actual Gold Dot. The one on the left is the bulk practice ammo.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113887&stc=1&d=1315584306

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113888&stc=1&d=1315584321

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113889&stc=1&d=1315584335

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113890&stc=1&d=1315584344

dvsdev
09-09-2011, 8:57 AM

Not too long ago there was a sale on Speer Gold Dot "target" ammo. I believe it was about $0.30 a round and did not come in factory boxes. It could have been the stuff RollingCode3 is talking about. It was also recommended not to be used as defensive ammo.

If the guy is selling it between range ammo price and Gold Dot market price, it can be good practice ammo. So $0.30-0.40 a round.

Briancnelson
09-09-2011, 9:44 AM
or you could buy FMJ practice ammo at 10 cents a round less.

If you can't reliably use it for HD, why would you pay a premium over cheap practice ammo?

RollingCode3
09-09-2011, 10:25 AM
The round looks good but id pass anyway. Who needs 800 rounds of defensive ammo that youll never use at the range? And for second hand ammo with no details, no boxes, questionable age etc. you should be getting a VERY good discount. I would not pay more than $200 or so for those rounds.

I dont see why anyone needs more than 1 box per calibre of defense ammo, just saying

:facepalm: Are you being serious? :confused: Testing your ccw/hd ammo for reliability in YOUR GUN is probably the most important thing you can do. I always run at least 150 rounds of any ammo that I am going to use as self defense ammo through without any glitches of any kind before I will put it on duty. About every four months, I will shoot those magazines up and reload with new carry rounds. I'd rather see a failure in expensive ammo on paper instead of real world need.

Here is a great thread on why you should "SHOOT YOUR CARRY AMMO REGULARLY"

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?138-Shoot-your-carry-ammo-regularly

truep
09-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Good ammo to make sure various guns feed hollowpoints reliably, for cheaper price than your actual SD ammo, maybe...?

Cali-Shooter
09-09-2011, 11:37 AM
If your gut gives you a red flag about this deal, walk away...

It seems too good to be true. I've been screwed over with a bulk ammo purchase that seemed like bargain defense pistol ammo deal before, but hey it's your money.

GuillermoAntonio
09-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I sent the seller a message, If I buy anything, it will be for practice, so I plan to pay accordingly..
thanks guys!

Briancnelson
09-09-2011, 1:25 PM
:facepalm: Are you being serious? :confused: Testing your ccw/hd ammo for reliability in YOUR GUN is probably the most important thing you can do. I always run at least 150 rounds of any ammo that I am going to use as self defense ammo through without any glitches of any kind before I will put it on duty. About every four months, I will shoot those magazines up and reload with new carry rounds. I'd rather see a failure in expensive ammo on paper instead of real world need.

Here is a great thread on why you should "SHOOT YOUR CARRY AMMO REGULARLY"

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?138-Shoot-your-carry-ammo-regularly

This isn't his carry ammo. It's a big box of unknown that the guy wants to sell him as premium ammunition.

If it was boxed speer at a good price I'd say snap it up.

RollingCode3
09-09-2011, 2:29 PM
This isn't his carry ammo. It's a big box of unknown that the guy wants to sell him as premium ammunition.

If it was boxed speer at a good price I'd say snap it up.

:facepalm: reading comprehension is your friend

Rey HRH
09-09-2011, 9:32 PM
It's more expensive than target ammo and you're not going to use it for range practice. And you're asking if it's good to go for defensive use: a batch of unboxed jhp.

There is a possibility it's just someone's reload.

For defensive ammo, I would go with a brand new, branded box of ammo. I can see going cheap on range ammo, but it's pound foolish to save pennies on defensive ammo when it's your pound of flesh on the line.