View Full Version : How do you custom fit a rifle stock specifically a person?

09-08-2011, 2:09 PM
How do get the specific measurements I am going to need to make my rifle a custom fit to my body? I am 6' 1" 200lbs barrel chested, fairly big. The stock is going to be for my 10/22, which feels short to me (the length of pull?) and it really needs a cheek rest. I'm planning on making a target/benchrest tumbhole stock style. What would the average stock size be if i have a blank measuring 36 long x6-7/8 at the butt x3-5/8 at the muzzle x2-3/8 inches thick of black walnut. How should i go about measuring myself, or having someone do it for me? Thank you for the help.

09-08-2011, 2:23 PM
I'm not sure if there is a "scientific", purely objective, way to measure the ideal rifle length for an individual.

This is why lots of stocks feature several angles of adjustability so that the user can select the best one for his/her size AND shooting style (prone, off hand, etc).

09-08-2011, 2:25 PM
it's going to be solid, non adjustibe stock and primarily a target rifle (off a bench, with maybe a little squirrel hunting).

09-08-2011, 2:26 PM
If you are just trying to figure out the right LOP, you can always fab up something fairly cheaply to sit between your buttplate and the rear of the wooden 10-22 stock. Armed with this data, you can then decide how you want to implement such an extension (wood, new stock, or something you made with threaded rod).

09-08-2011, 2:35 PM
The drop at the heel, toe, the offset of the buttplate, the overall length, and so on... I just was fishing for some suggestions before I start putting chisel to wood. Anybody out there got any