PDA

View Full Version : Panoche

11Z50
01-27-2007, 6:31 PM
I just got done with work and I'm curious how the Panoche run went....The weather looked pretty bad out that way. I'm planning on a run in a few weeks. I'm thinking of staying in Mendota or a hotel on I-5. I've roughed it several times at Panoche and it doesn't make much sense to this old retired infantryman.

I want to spend a few leisure days blasting away at targets and enjoying the outdoors, but spending the evenings in comfort. ;) It's just far enough from home to make day trips impractical.

March is a little nicer, and it is usually greened up by then. See you there.

Can'thavenuthingood
01-27-2007, 7:56 PM
I went.

I'm about 25 miles east of I-5 on highway 198. As I approached the I-5 it started raining enough to run the wipers every few minutes. I'm in a 1964 Ford F100. The further north I got on the I-5 the more it rained. It didn't look good and I wasn't real thrilled about climbing a wet hill.

I got to the Panoche gate about 0930 so it was about 1 1/2 hour trip for me. One guy (Don) pulled in ahead of me and a few minutes later 2 more pulled in behind me. As we were all talking Rick from bay area came in with a 4 wheel drive and street tires. A hunter came down the hill in a F350 4 wheel drive and he said the road was slimy about a mile into it. He was sliding sideways several times. He did not recommend the cars and kinda scratched his head at my truck. I knew then I probably wasn't going up.

About 1000 FEDUPWBS in his little car and another guy (forgot the mans name) came in a big 4 wheel drive. As we discussed the hill Lynch family came down in a Jeep 4 wheel drive with street tires. After intro's we loaded up and took off caravan up the hill. Started out well but it went downhill rapidly.

FEDUPS car was first in line and only made it part way up the first hill from the entrance gate on Little Panoche Rd. He started going sideways and spinning his front tires while sliding back downhill. Then Don behind him in a little car started spinning in front of me. I pulled over to side of road and stopped. The guys behind me stopped and we watched FEDUP try to get some sort of traction in any direction.

Lynch had taken off like a shot up the hill and around the first bend then stopped to wait. He came back down to lend a hand and offer rides up to the shooting area.

FEDUP got his car down behind Ricks truck and parked it. Don and the other 2 guys was tossing their gear in Ricks truck when some friends of cnyankee came up the hill in a 2 wheel drive Dodge pickup with both rear tires spinning and throwing muck laden rooster tails. I was standing next to Lynchs Jeep talking to him as they went by losing speed. About 100 feet later they came to a sliding sideways stop and slowly started drifting downhill. Then they got stuck in the right side ditch. No traction to drive or steer. They weren't in a hole stuck, just no traction stuck. Once that adobe clay type mud is stuck in the treads, you essentially have a bald tire as in no traction. My boots were packed full.

It was ugly out there today. Somebody shoulda had a camera to video this.

In the meantime a couple trucks of hunters unrelated to our Calguns party were watching all this in their big 4 wheel drive setups. I'm certain it was an interesting conversation:D

Several guys went up with Lynch and Rick and left their vehicles parked on the hill. The lads in the Dodge got the truck back downhill and were quite disapointed that they drove all that way from Santa Cruz to be done in by the mud. They were set for a weekend camp and shoot. They headed back home.

I took a seat on my tail gate after everyone cleared out and had a piece of pizza and a bottle of water contemplating making the attempt to go up. However comma, once up and over, how do I get back up and over to go home?

I decided best to wait for another dryer day and wished I had tossed my snow chains into the truck like I had thought about doing a few weeks earlier.

I had never been to Panoche and had been wanting to go check it out but was a bit leery about heading up that way by myself. Figured this would be a great time to see it as quite a few Calgunners were going.

I could see up the hill but I couldn't get up there. As I was leaving it was clouding up again. I hope those guys get out okay. That road is one slick critter and uphill.
Getting down looked effortless.
The up part was troublesome.

I'd wait till probably March or thereabouts to go back in there.

Vick

11Z50
01-27-2007, 8:15 PM
Holy bat shiz! What an adventure! I have been up there when the weather hits and it's not usually a happy story. I feel the pain of the Calgunners from Santa Cruz. Dang! a tough break. I'm looking at March for sure.

edwardm
01-27-2007, 9:23 PM
The mud there is identical to the mud on the county road from Clear Creek over to Idria. Think "glass tires on ice roads". The trick with that stuff is, when safe to do so, goose the juice a bit to clear the tires and get a fresh grip.

Truth be told, if you could have made it up the hill, the rest was a cakewalk. Pretty much flat, or slight inclines, and the spot we ended up shooting was easy access.

I went.

I'm about 25 miles east of I-5 on highway 198. As I approached the I-5 it started raining enough to run the wipers every few minutes. I'm in a 1964 Ford F100. The further north I got on the I-5 the more it rained. It didn't look good and I wasn't real thrilled about climbing a wet hill.

I got to the Panoche gate about 0930 so it was about 1 1/2 hour trip for me. One guy (Don) pulled in ahead of me and a few minutes later 2 more pulled in behind me. As we were all talking Rick from bay area came in with a 4 wheel drive and street tires. A hunter came down the hill in a F350 4 wheel drive and he said the road was slimy about a mile into it. He was sliding sideways several times. He did not recommend the cars and kinda scratched his head at my truck. I knew then I probably wasn't going up.

About 1000 FEDUPWBS in his little car and another guy (forgot the mans name) came in a big 4 wheel drive. As we discussed the hill Lynch family came down in a Jeep 4 wheel drive with street tires. After intro's we loaded up and took off caravan up the hill. Started out well but it went downhill rapidly.

FEDUPS car was first in line and only made it part way up the first hill from the entrance gate on Little Panoche Rd. He started going sideways and spinning his front tires while sliding back downhill. Then Don behind him in a little car started spinning in front of me. I pulled over to side of road and stopped. The guys behind me stopped and we watched FEDUP try to get some sort of traction in any direction.

Lynch had taken off like a shot up the hill and around the first bend then stopped to wait. He came back down to lend a hand and offer rides up to the shooting area.

FEDUP got his car down behind Ricks truck and parked it. Don and the other 2 guys was tossing their gear in Ricks truck when some friends of cnyankee came up the hill in a 2 wheel drive Dodge pickup with both rear tires spinning and throwing muck laden rooster tails. I was standing next to Lynchs Jeep talking to him as they went by losing speed. About 100 feet later they came to a sliding sideways stop and slowly started drifting downhill. Then they got stuck in the right side ditch. No traction to drive or steer. They weren't in a hole stuck, just no traction stuck. Once that adobe clay type mud is stuck in the treads, you essentially have a bald tire as in no traction. My boots were packed full.

It was ugly out there today. Somebody shoulda had a camera to video this.

In the meantime a couple trucks of hunters unrelated to our Calguns party were watching all this in their big 4 wheel drive setups. I'm certain it was an interesting conversation:D

Several guys went up with Lynch and Rick and left their vehicles parked on the hill. The lads in the Dodge got the truck back downhill and were quite disapointed that they drove all that way from Santa Cruz to be done in by the mud. They were set for a weekend camp and shoot. They headed back home.

I took a seat on my tail gate after everyone cleared out and had a piece of pizza and a bottle of water contemplating making the attempt to go up. However comma, once up and over, how do I get back up and over to go home?

I decided best to wait for another dryer day and wished I had tossed my snow chains into the truck like I had thought about doing a few weeks earlier.

I had never been to Panoche and had been wanting to go check it out but was a bit leery about heading up that way by myself. Figured this would be a great time to see it as quite a few Calgunners were going.

I could see up the hill but I couldn't get up there. As I was leaving it was clouding up again. I hope those guys get out okay. That road is one slick critter and uphill.
Getting down looked effortless.
The up part was troublesome.

I'd wait till probably March or thereabouts to go back in there.

Vick

Santa Cruz Armory
01-28-2007, 8:37 AM
Well, after a little mud slingin' at the entrance road, FEDUPWBS and I loaded his stuff in my truck and headed up (thank goodness for 4 wheel drive & diesel power! ("smiley face")

Once up it was great, whoever picked the spot (1919A4 & Big Mac I think) GREAT SPOT! we had clear shots out to about 400 yards. There was a little rain but nothing the the ez-up I brought couldn't block ("smile face") I wish I would have brought 2, one to cover the bed of my truck so we could have had a dry place to lay all of our gear.

I had a great time! Thanks to Big Mac for the 7.62x39, and CeasarG for the .223. Thanks to everyone who let me shoot their stuff. The 1919 was awesome! now I have to figure out how I can swing a purchase of one of those.

We had some great "reactive" targets, it was a sad day...alot of cheap soda died horrible deaths. Oh yea! thanks to Rickfifty who brought the metal plate. Man! that thing got trashed!! I threw a few 7mm Mag holes in it along with a few .223 dents.

It was nice meeting everyone, when is the next one??

I have a few pics and a little bit of video but I'm gonna wait a day or two to see if anyone doesn't want their face pictures posted. I will post the anonymous pics.

IF YOU DONT WANT YOUR PICTURE POSTED PLEASE PM ME

I had a great time! thanks again to everyone.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics115.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics114.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics119.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/pics129.jpg

Rickfifty
01-28-2007, 9:37 AM
We had some great "reactive" targets, it was a sad day...alot of cheap soda died horrible deaths. Oh yea! thanks to the guy (sorry, I can't remember your user name) who brought the metal plate. Man! that thing got trashed!! I threw a few 7mm Mag holes in it along with a few .223 dents.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/rickfifty/PanocheHillsshoot012.jpg

Santa Cruz Armory
01-28-2007, 9:46 AM
pics added
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/112.jpg

M. Sage
01-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I've gotta try making the next trip out! I wouldn't have minded running a bit of shuttle for people with vehicles that couldn't handle the mud.

BigMac
01-28-2007, 1:26 PM
the empty keg was my favorite target. It died a horrible 8mm death.

Rickfifty
01-28-2007, 1:41 PM
This is the good side. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/rickfifty/PanocheHillsshoot011.jpg

gn3hz3ku1*
01-28-2007, 4:19 PM
please do not tell me it was a working keg

stator
01-29-2007, 3:00 PM
Shameless bump to the top and a request for more photos, please.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-29-2007, 9:36 PM
Photos posted in other Panoche thread

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=43007&page=19

TregoEd
01-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey everybody, thanks again for the good time out there. Now if can just quit dreaming about M1919's:D

Ed #2

Cesar G.
01-30-2007, 2:48 PM
welcome to the board ed #2