PDA

View Full Version : Any one have problems with an AR on Vandenberg?

cornholio1
01-27-2007, 7:00 PM
I will be going to Vandenberg soon. Has anyone got any flak by the game warden for an AR or a 10 round mag? They once told me 5 round is the limit, but the ranger seemed unsure of himself. Thanks

C.G.
01-27-2007, 7:35 PM
I will be going to Vandenberg soon. Has anyone got any flak by the game warden for an AR or a 10 round mag? They once told me 5 round is the limit, but the ranger seemed unsure of himself. Thanks

In PRK there is no maximum rounds (or mag capacity) prescribed for centerfire and rimfire rifles when hunting.

cornholio1
01-27-2007, 7:41 PM
I understand that, but I am looking for real life experiences with the game wardens at Vandenberg

pieeater
01-28-2007, 7:32 AM
Grow a long beard and take an AK with you. And dont forget the secret password down there "ALLAH ACKBAR!!"

Subvertz
06-15-2008, 8:54 PM
I'll be trying my AR there for the first time this weekend.
It's late at night so Warden's ofice is closed, and the Law Enforcement Desk didn'r know the rules. I know there is only a limit on shotgun rounds, and I have never had a warden say otherwise. Then we never get checked. The base is so huge that you almost never see another human.

robbor
06-15-2008, 9:11 PM
says if in doubt error on the side of caution. You could probably find a way to contact the warden and ask him, be sure to get his name, phone, date and time and have it with you.

brokestudent12
06-15-2008, 9:18 PM
LE desk at vandenburg should have the number to the fish & game SP's. It's a different section from LE but security police guys still detail it. They'll have the info you need.

Subvertz
06-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Spoke to a lady on the phone today. After checking with her supervisors, she left me a message o the effect that I can use my AW, but am limited to 5 rd mags, and lead free bullets. I know this is BS, as DFG has no limit on hunting rounds, and Condor Lead doesnt take effect until 1 July, so I'm calling back tommorow, I'll tr someone else for a better answer.

Subvertz
06-17-2008, 9:28 AM
They were trying to tell me yesterday that they were going to enforce the Lead ban early, but I pointed out that it was not in their instruction nor DFG's yet. Still trying to get them to admit there is no mag capacity limit yet.

eckerph
06-17-2008, 6:50 PM
They were trying to tell me yesterday that they were going to enforce the Lead ban early, but I pointed out that it was not in their instruction nor DFG's yet. Still trying to get them to admit there is no mag capacity limit yet.

If the hunting area is on base itself they can enforce any "rules" they want.

Trapper
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
I've been hunting Vandenberg for the past ten years and have never seen a hunter with an AR. In 5.56mm it should be fine for ground squirrels but I'd recommend a larger rifle for pigs or deer. The rod and gun club is AR friendly.
The published base hunting regs haven't been updated in years and much of what is enforced is passed by word of mouth at the game shack or in the famcamp. I always call to verrify the areas that will be opened, missile shoots and training can shut down an area for weeks at a time.

Subvertz
06-18-2008, 3:00 PM
OK, today the lady on the phone said her boss said the 5 round thing is passed down from a state rule, which is obviously not true. I wish they would give me the number for the head warden.
As for the AR's, who knows, I might be the first to hunt with one there in a while. 223 is plenty capable for pigs, just search youtube for a tone a videos of it, other forums, and such. I plan on running Nosler Partitions, of the 62 gr flavor. If im charged, I'll have 9 other rounds on tap, plus a hunting buddy with a Ruger Mini-6.8SPC.

spectr17
06-18-2008, 9:12 PM
If im charged, I'll have 9 other rounds on tap, plus a hunting buddy with a Ruger Mini-6.8SPC.

I'm confident you'll have time to sort it out during the charge. :D

After you try to track a poorly hit hog past midnight in shoulder high poison oak you'll start to understand why a 5.56 isn't the preferred hog rifle.

FHL is already lead free, it's their fort and their rules. Same for Vandy.

Trapper
06-18-2008, 9:39 PM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0170.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0479.jpg

The warden can be reached at 805-606-6804 Mercer has been there for years and should be able to help. Few of the Airmen that work in the office actually hunt.
The first pig dressed out at 125lbs and fell to a one ounce Barnes slug to the face at 20yds. The second pig dressed at 188lbs and took one slug behind the shoulder, it bruised the rib on the opposite side but never exited. On my second shot he was quartering towards me, the slug chipped off a two inch piece of fat and hide but did not penetrate.
Good luck on your hunt.

Whitesmoke
06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0170.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0479.jpg

The warden can be reached at 805-606-6804 Mercer has been there for years and should be able to help. Few of the Airmen that work in the office actually hunt.
The first pig dressed out at 125lbs and fell to a one ounce Barnes slug to the face at 20yds. The second pig dressed at 188lbs and took one slug behind the shoulder, it bruised the rib on the opposite side but never exited. On my second shot he was quartering towards me, the slug chipped off a two inch piece of fat and hide but did not penetrate.
Good luck on your hunt.

Nice pigs....those were both taken at Vandenberg?

Subvertz
06-19-2008, 2:54 AM
After you try to track a poorly hit hog past midnight in shoulder high poison oak you'll start to understand why a 5.56 isn't the preferred hog rifle.

Of cource its not prefered, but it more than sufficient. Plus I don't take bad shots, it's not worth it. I have that poison oak still from 2 weeks ago. I can deal with that, its the thick brush that impedes me.
Trust me, I have that phone number commited to memory. Nut the only pick it up 10% of the time, and of that, only 25% of the time is it someone who knows anything. They are beter during general deer season, but otherwise they suck.
I did get them to admit that the lead ban still doesnt start until Jul 1st.

Trapper
06-19-2008, 6:59 AM
Yes, both pigs were taken at Vandenberg in area 2.

Subvertz
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Report:
Didn't encounter any DFG guys, but base police and security checkpoints definetly asked what we were hunting with. When I said "AR-15" they simply replied "Cool!"
Saw more pigs this time than any previous trips.
There was a big black boar in zone 4 in the fields between Richmnnd and San Antonio West. There was a line of 7 pigs working a mountain top just north of Lion's Head in zone 3, but we couldn't get close enough.
Doe's everywhere, and we a VERY close call with a skunk.
If you are going to Vandenberg, watch out for skunks, but feel free to bring a legal AR.