PDA

View Full Version : Interfamilial handgun transfer question. I feel like I should know this!

Lone_Gunman
09-07-2011, 7:47 PM
Here's the situation.

Dad is a CA resident. Son is a TX resident. Son is in CA visiting Dad. Dad would like to give Son a handgun. Can he just give it to him and fill out the inter-familial transfer paperwork and pay the $19.00?

The 2 states of residency are throwing me off. :confused:

Mssr. Eleganté
09-07-2011, 8:02 PM
Here's the situation.

Dad is a CA resident. Son is a TX resident. Son is in CA visiting Dad. Dad would like to give Son a handgun. Can he just give it to him and fill out the inter-familial transfer paperwork and pay the $19.00?

The 2 states of residency are throwing me off. :confused:

No. The transfer must go through an FFL in the receiving party's State of residence.

The CalDOJ intrafamily handgun form is only for transfers between two California residents. The receiving party sends it in to register the handgun in their name with CalDOJ.

Lone_Gunman
09-07-2011, 8:03 PM
No. The transfer must go through an FFL in the receiving party's State of residence.

Well, that sucks. Can the Dad just send the handgun to the FFL or does it have to go FFL to FFL?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-07-2011, 8:08 PM
Legally, it's perfectly fine for your dad to ship the handgun directly to the FFL in Texas. But you need to check with the FFL to see if he will accept it directly from your dad. Many FFLs have a policy of only accepting firearm shipments from other FFLs.

Lone_Gunman
09-07-2011, 8:13 PM
Legally, it's perfectly fine for your dad to ship the handgun directly to the FFL in Texas. But you need to check with the FFL to see if he will accept it directly from your dad. Many FFLs have a policy of only accepting firearm shipments from other FFLs.

Thanks for the info. It's for my Father in law and my Brother in law.

Librarian
09-07-2011, 8:48 PM
Another one asked and answered.