PDA

View Full Version : Mount for AR with Weaver Rail

icedevil
09-07-2011, 9:05 AM
Hopefully this is not too stupid of a question. Do the LaRue or Burris PEPR one piece mounts fit a weaver rail? I have a flat top AR that was put together before flat top AR's with picatinny rails became standard. If not, any recommendations for mounting a Burris MTAC on a weaver rail for 3-gun? Thanks.

Droppin Deuces
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
From Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail)

"The only differences between the Picatinny rail and the similar Weaver rail are the size of these slots and the fact that they are standardized. Weaver rails have a slot width of 0.180 in (4.57 mm), but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers.[3] Some accessories are designed to fit on both Weaver and Picatinny rails; but most Picatinny devices will not fit on Weaver rails"

icedevil
09-08-2011, 8:23 AM
The weaver rail shown on wikipedia has cross cuts. My rail doesn't even have those. LaRue responded to my email and said that their mounts only fit the pic rails. I guess my search continues. Any more insight is appreciated.

novalondon
09-12-2011, 1:47 AM
Can you provide more info on the upper you have.? Pics would be super. any idea what year this upper was made? Whose the manufacture ?

uscbigdawg
09-12-2011, 6:48 AM
The mount should work just fine. If it doesn't, a little filing on the rails often fixes the problem.

Rich

icedevil
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Can you provide more info on the upper you have.? Pics would be super. any idea what year this upper was made? Whose the manufacture ?

The upper was put together in the early 90's by D&L Sports. I believe the carry handle was milled off the upper which was then drilled and tapped for the weaver rail install. It's a straight weaver rail without the cross cuts that are common today. I'll try to get some pictures up.

icedevil
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, I was wrong about the cross slots. The rail actually has cross slots, they were just under the rings. It's definitely a weaver style mount. I was able to find some Warne weaver mounts that are tall enough for this application and work well. Fortunately, my mount is already cantilevered over the handguard a bit to give me the eye relief I need, because I don't believe any of the big name extended mounts will fit on my rail without at least opening up the size of my cross slots (they are narrower than picatinny spec). Here is a picture of the base:

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac111/icedevil_photos/AR/RailTop.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input.