PDA

View Full Version : Savage Arms Mark II BSEV

maddoggie13
09-07-2011, 9:02 AM
Thinking about getting another bolt action 22lr today. Just cannot get enough of a good shooting 22lr. They are so much fun and cheap to shoot all day long. I'm looking into the Savage Mark II BSEV. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBSEV. Please talk me in or out why I should or shouldn't purchase this rifle. What other bolt action 22lr should I look at around the same price range???

Mail Clerk
09-07-2011, 6:27 PM
Thinking about getting another bolt action 22lr today. Just cannot get enough of a good shooting 22lr. They are so much fun and cheap to shoot all day long. I'm looking into the Savage Mark II BSEV. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBSEV. Please talk me in or out why I should or shouldn't purchase this rifle. What other bolt action 22lr should I look at around the same price range???

maddiggie13,

That is on hell of a rifle from Savage!!! I love the stainless steel finish along side that fancy stock. I'd much prefer a semi auto version to the bolt action.;)

Mail Clerk

jeanreau
09-27-2011, 1:06 PM
So what do you think of the rifle? I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow. I think I got raped on the price though. It would be nice to cut back on the cost of ammo.

ExtremeX
09-27-2011, 1:20 PM
Im considering a cheaper bolt action .22 savage myself. Im sure its going to be a great shooter.

I like the way it looks.

I am considering this... http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFSS

The 10/22 is still on my list, but im not 100% sure how much I would have to spend to get it to shoot like a bolt gun...

Gatotsu77
09-27-2011, 4:30 PM
^^ ExtremeX, you may wish to look into one of the Mark II rifles with a laminate stock over the polymer, if you are interested in the greatest level of precision attainable from that action. I do not personally own a polymer variant of the stock, but I do own the Mark II BTVS. (laminate, thumb hole) From what I have read (which could very well be wrong, not my personal experiences, just sharing research I'd done) the polymer stock on the Mark II F has quite a bit of flex to it, and hampers precision.

BroncoBob
09-27-2011, 4:36 PM
^^ ExtremeX, you may wish to look into one of the Mark II rifles with a laminate stock over the polymer, if you are interested in the greatest level of precision attainable from that action. I do not personally own a polymer variant of the stock, but I do own the Mark II BTVS. (laminate, thumb hole) From what I have read (which could very well be wrong, not my personal experiences, just sharing research I'd done) the polymer stock on the Mark II F has quite a bit of flex to it, and hampers precision.

^^^^^
Good advice, just not sure on a 22lr platform

JAGACIDA
09-27-2011, 7:08 PM
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more accurate rifle out of the box for the price with the same amount of features. Bolt action accuracy.
3 of my rimfires are Savages, quality and value are excellent.

N8TEN30
09-27-2011, 7:26 PM
I'm trying mine out tomorrow. I'll post some target pics. :D

Izzy43
09-27-2011, 7:59 PM
Buy this:http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFSS The actions are the same just different barrel. Around $250.

Then buy this:http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Evolution-Savage-93-E-Receiver-RIGHT-OR-LEFT-HAND-p/610-360.htm. About $110 with shipping.

You have nearly the same as a BSEV but save maybe $150-$200.

Gatotsu77
09-27-2011, 9:39 PM
Good advice, just not sure on a 22lr platform

I wish I had some personal experience with the polymer stocks on this action, but all I've personally experienced is my own BTVS. I was basing my advice off of information mostly obtained across threads on rimfirecentral.com... which means it could be a nitpick over 1/10" difference in groups at 100 yards, perhaps caused by something other than the stock. If you were going to use a rifle like this for appleseed shoots or for small game hunting expeditions, I'd probably go with the polymer stock, as it would be much lighter in the field, and you'd be much less worried about "dinging up your baby" as I am with mine. Although, I've not been AS worried since I managed to get the first ding in it within a week of buying it. (indoor range, piece of brass from another lane got it at a bad angle.. barely noticeable to anyone but me though)

I will tell you what I know for sure about my particular Savage Mark II BTVS - it can consistently out-shoot me. When I do my part, it is very precise. Using good ammo, I managed a 1/4" 3 shot group at 50 yards in mild-moderate wind. This was off of a bipod, on a concrete bench at ASR. (I was in a slight hurry to squeeze off those last rounds, as the next cease-fire was coming, and my father wanted to pack up and leave) Using CCI Stingers, I can take down a 12 gauge shot gun hull at 100 yards 8/10 times, and I'm sure I could probably take all 10 if I were more patient and focused.. I get a little trigger happy after the first few shots that hit their mark.

N8TEN30
09-28-2011, 6:59 PM
OK! I tried my Savage Mark II BTVS .22lr for the first time today. VERY IMPRESSED!! I also brought my brand new Ruger 10/22 to compare. Well, I have no doubt that hands down, the Savage is extremely accurate without being modified. The Accutrigger is super smooth too!

I will say this though, the Savage is bolt action, which is fine, because I'm taking time on aiming anyway. But the Ruger eats EVERYTHING! I tried rapid fire with a 25 round mag, mixing different types of ammo, and out of 100 rounds, NOT ONE misfeed/FTF. I have a new special place in my heart for both of these rifles.

Here are the targets after both were sighted in at 100 yards. I noticed after 5 rounds, the rounds started going to the right and spreading out. Bore snake that thing before shooting to see the most accuracy. I did with both of these and the first 5 were winners! Oh, by the way, I used CCI Mini Mags with the Savage and the Ruger. These seemed to be the most accurate rounds. Bulk was too inconsistent. Hope this info helps!!

Gatotsu77
10-01-2011, 2:49 PM
Glad to see you're liking the rifle. Try feeding that thing some Wolf Match Target or SK Jagd Standard Plus, and you'll see those groups really shrink. CCI Mini-Mags are ok through a Mark II, but are a far cry from what that rifle can do. My last range trip, I had a chance to try out just a few rounds of SK Jagd, (I had a minute left until cease-fire, and my dad wanted to leave) and I squeezed out a 1/4" 3 shot group at 50 yards. If I'd have had a bit more time, I imagine I could probably have pulled off a 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards. (I'd been shooting 12 gauge shotgun hulls at 100 yards with CCI Stingers consistently)

Just for some fun, try taking some clay pigeons to the range with you and throw 'em on the 100 yard berm. They are a lot of fun to shatter, and the challenge only gets more exciting as you try to pick off the broken fragments.

G38xOC
10-01-2011, 4:30 PM
good shooting mate

N8TEN30
10-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Try feeding that thing some Wolf Match Target or SK Jagd Standard Plus, and you'll see those groups really shrink.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! I'll try those next time I go out.

N8TEN30
10-02-2011, 12:01 AM
good shooting mate

Thanks!

Izzy43
10-02-2011, 6:41 AM
GATOTSU77 said it best. I have a BTVS and it LOVES Wolf MT. I haven't shot the rifle at 100 yds but at 25/50yds it shoots MOA all day long with Wolf MT. With any other ammo not so good.

bombadillo
10-02-2011, 6:55 AM
Just got the same rifle in a .17hmr and am picking it up tomorrow. supposed to be quite the shooter. got 250 rounds for it in various ammo types and will see what it likes and buy a couple thousand rounds of it.